Random Music Thoughts

Benji

Just now, Shouting Box said:

This is me but with John Mellencamp and either Pink Houses or Jack & Diane

Oh, they play Jack & Diane a lot, but its one of my favorite songs by him. If they don't play that, its usually Hurts So Good, from back when he was John Cougar....or Pink Houses. But Hurts So Good more often than Pink Houses.

For some reason they also play Rachel Platten's Fight Song a lot. An 8 year old, lame one-hit wonder. 

Meanwhile, the 80's themed radio station (they also play *some* 90's, but not a lot) seems to play Men At Work's Who Can It Be Now and Cutting Crew's (I Just) Died In Your Arms more than they should have any right to.

The problem is neither of those stations have DJs, which means they have lazy as hell programming directors who like to play the same old shit all the damn time. Meanwhile, the real classic rock station here actually still has DJs, so they tend to play more varied stuff. Though they do play some Led Zeppelin every day at 5pm. And if there's a long thunderstorm, they eventually throw on REO Speedwagon's classic Ridin' The Storm Out.

13 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Oh, they play Jack & Diane a lot, but its one of my favorite songs by him. If they don't play that, its usually Hurts So Good, from back when he was John Cougar....or Pink Houses. But Hurts So Good more often than Pink Houses.

For some reason they also play Rachel Platten's Fight Song a lot. An 8 year old, lame one-hit wonder. 

Meanwhile, the 80's themed radio station (they also play *some* 90's, but not a lot) seems to play Men At Work's Who Can It Be Now and Cutting Crew's (I Just) Died In Your Arms more than they should have any right to.

The problem is neither of those stations have DJs, which means they have lazy as hell programming directors who like to play the same old shit all the damn time. Meanwhile, the real classic rock station here actually still has DJs, so they tend to play more varied stuff. Though they do play some Led Zeppelin every day at 5pm. And if there's a long thunderstorm, they eventually throw on REO Speedwagon's classic Ridin' The Storm Out.

Yeah of the like five songs I'm convinced most classic rock stations believe are the only ones John Jacob Cougar Mellencamp ever did, Jack & Diane is the least grating.

10 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

I dig George Thorogood. I mean, his music isn't real deep since it's just basically blues guitar and singing about booze. 

But he has a really cool voice and good guitar tone. 

One of his best is a cover of the old blues/folk tune John Hardy.

Same space in my head as John Mellencamp in that I prefer the lesser played tracks.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Benji said:

The Tings Tings debut album really deserves more love. 15 years on and still holds up exceptionally well. Every song a banger.

They were so hot on the airwaves/screens for that moment in time as well, felt like they were everywhere!

4 hours ago, Benji said:

The Tings Tings debut album really deserves more love. 15 years on and still holds up exceptionally well. Every song a banger.

So ahead of the curve. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2023 at 14:06, Benji said:

I wish New Metal was more of a thing and hadn't all but died out. The combo of metal instrumentals and rap vocals is such a fantastic adrenaline kick.

Been playing this playlist quite a lot. Quite a few I've never heard before.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX89XXHpIgTCJ?si=aw6X-MHiTn6tq5FOaBzPDw

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://v.redd.it/viaqrbnx21za1

I somehow have never seen this. Two of my all-time favourite vocalists harmonising. I got entirely lost in my thoughts and awe and went "oh man, I hope they do something together as a regular thing" before remembering not only did I know they were great friends already, but both have been dead for nearly half a decade and now I'm really fucking sad. But for a brief moment, I forgot all that.

In 1984 Rod Stewart released a cover of 70s dad rock classic (and actual pretty good song) All Right Now and I think it might be the worst cover of a song I’ve ever heard. It is so bad I have a compulsive need to listen to it and have added it to my library. Go and listen to it now.

I just tried listening to both and i got through less of the Rod Stewart one.

They were both bad but All Right Now has a possibly recorded while everyone was on cocaine vibe.