Random Music Thoughts

Benji

• 2 months later...

I am listening to I Feel Cream by Peaches. I wanted to write a little post because I think it's an excellent album. Peaches is known for being incredibly explicit. I don't find her approach to shock or to be grotesque. In done ways Peaches and her act had always been celebratory. On a track from an earlier album Slippery Dick, she raps "call it a queeb, call it a queef, big chuck, young buck, fist fuck, cock suck" over a lo fi electro punk track. But it's not meant to be shocking - I think a big part about her is normalizing sex and admitting that we all have our favorite aspects of it. 

You would think that with a bold proclamation of I Feel Cream, this would be an explicit. And she does put her sexualized self front and center, but she also ensures to explore loss, love and romance. Yes, there is a song called Mommy Complex that absolutely should never be listened to near your mother ("going to get your bone enlarged because mommy wants to take a ride"). But she also sings about not wanting to lose partners and begging a partner to simply just talk to her about their problems. There is an exploration of the suffocation of domesticity. On Lose You, she keeps repeating she doesn't want to lose a romantic partner but she says it so disinterested that you have to wonder if she would be better off without the person anyway. 

I have started to go back to listening to music in albums lately, it makes for a much better experience I am finding. I slipped into more playlists ever since I moved to Spotify a half decade ago and they're nice and all, but there's nothing like the complete experience of a well crafted album.

Now to combine the two concepts for a 9 hour Coheed & Cambria "Amory Wars" run from start to finish :lol:

• Like 4

I've been having a weird deepdive on older songs, from Bach to traditional tunes. For some reason, I had never heard of this and it's made me laugh multiple times. Yorkshirians are funny. The best thing is I know the musical tune through sheer osmosis somehow, but all the words are new to me. :lol:

There's some grand pub renditions on YouTube too, but this had the words (and "translation to English" haha).

• Like 1

Speaking of folk songs I've listened to this a few times this week:

I love Alasdair Roberts and I also love hearing renditions of songs that are hundreds of years old.

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2023 at 20:58, Benji said:

I have started to go back to listening to music in albums lately, it makes for a much better experience I am finding. I slipped into more playlists ever since I moved to Spotify a half decade ago and they're nice and all, but there's nothing like the complete experience of a well crafted album.

Now to combine the two concepts for a 9 hour Coheed & Cambria "Amory Wars" run from start to finish :lol:

Did they ever finish the whole story?

What are songs that sound ahead of their time?

Need You Tonight by INXS has tremendous production values on the percussion it's unreal. The vocals and that slide guitar definitely sound a tad dated but the production on the percussion makes the song sound like it was recorded in the 21st century. 

• Like 1

Ain’t That Just Like A Woman by Louis Jordan is from 1946 but sounds like a rock and roll song from a decade later.

Van Halen’s first album and Back In Black by AC/DC sound like music that came along quite a bit later in terms of production values. There’s a shine and a polish to these albums that the contemporaries didn’t have.

Les jeux d'eaux à la Villa d'Este by Franz Liszt is an incredible piece of music. It was published in 1842 but doesn’t really sound like peak romantic era piano music at all. To me it sounds much more like the lighter, impressionist music that the likes of Debussy and Satie would be doing 50 or 60 years later. 

Cheryl Cole released Fight For This Love in September 2009 but stylistically I thought it sounded far more like the music of November 2009.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2023 at 12:03, RPS said:

What are songs that sound ahead of their time?

Need You Tonight by INXS has tremendous production values on the percussion it's unreal. The vocals and that slide guitar definitely sound a tad dated but the production on the percussion makes the song sound like it was recorded in the 21st century. 

Yea, this is a good call. I've been listening to them a bit lately. 

I was thinking Duran Durans album Rio. They use a lot of clever tricks in recording that I think made it sound timeless. I don't think that album would be out of place in any of the following years.

I actually really love that album. I think it might be the first actual memory I have of recognizing a song as a child. I remember that opening to Rio from a young age as Hungry Like Wolf (one of those very rare memories we keep from our toddler years). I actually have an old vinyl copy (spoiler alert for my other thread) of it that was my dad's, and he stopped listening to his vinyl by 1990 or so, so it's an old copy. 

But listening again with a more critical ear for music, the song Rio is really brilliant and put together well. The rhythm section really sticks out for me, the bass player is fantastic. The rhythm he plays doesn't seem to complex but it's played flawlessly and stands out among the rest of the instruments. The drummer is great here as well, initially I thought it was a drum machine but nah it's a drummer working the hi hat with a precision that I wish I had. It's just a really well done song overall, catchy as fuck.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Looking at the leaked Download Festival announcement has really driven home how little I know about that particular scene these days. Plenty of people are raving about bands I've never heard of. I really should try to listen to more new music.

I've not seen this particular lineup but doesn't Download have the most predictable and conservative lineup of any festival? Or has it changed?

• Like 1