Random Music Thoughts

Benji

For whatever reason I never clicked with "Dead Silence" as a Billy Talent album until the other week. Now I think it may be one of my faves. I think individually the songs don't ever crack their top five, but as an album as a whole, it is incredibly cohesive in its vision, and I don't think there's any actual "bad" tracks on it.

On 18/03/2022 at 11:49, RPS said:

What is your "they are fine" band. A band you can listen to pretty much everything they put out but you neither love or hate any of it, it's all just fine. 

If I'm honest - probably The Foo Fighters. "My Hero" aside, they've got some jams, but they're very middle of the road rock, not that there's anything at all wrong with that. I'd never turn off a track, but I rarely go out of my way to listen to them.

On 18/03/2022 at 12:49, RPS said:

What is your "they are fine" band. A band you can listen to pretty much everything they put out but you neither love or hate any of it, it's all just fine. 

I was just checking my most played and it seems like I have listened to an enormous amount of music by REM despite not really caring for REM. So them I suppose.

Foo Fighters are a great one. I think they are a tad boring to be classified as fine for me, but a safe rock and roll band is always acceptable listening. 

• Like 1

I am pretty much never on the button with what is new and hitting the pop culture sphere musically these days, but I've found myself listening to the debut Wet Leg album, released today, and am really enjoying it so far.

It strangely brings a feeling of freshness and nostalgia to my ears all at once.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Adam said:

I am pretty much never on the button with what is new and hitting the pop culture sphere musically these days, but I've found myself listening to the debut Wet Leg album, released today, and am really enjoying it so far.

It strangely brings a feeling of freshness and nostalgia to my ears all at once.

I like it. Thanks!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Adam said:

The pop culture sphere is Tik Tok and Instagram tbh. 

• 3 weeks later...

I saw on my socials that a few people I know were at an Ed Sheeran concert last night.

He's really one pop artist I really just don't get. He just feels very generic singer songwriter.

You see, I want my singer-songwriters to have some kind of interesting personality quirks.  Maybe they write funny/sad songs about their personal lives.

Or at the very least be the kind of songwriter who writers songs that other people sing and have big hits with.

I actually spent much of this evening listening to songs from Leonard Cohen's New Skin for the Old Ceremony.

I forgot how great that album is and also how angry/bitter the album is. As well as being horny but that's par for the Course.

47 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Ed Sheeran wrote Love Yourself for JUSTIN BIEBER and Little Things for ONE DIRECTION.

Thank god he did. 

1 hour ago, METALMAN said:

Ed Sheeran wrote Love Yourself for JUSTIN BIEBER and Little Things for ONE DIRECTION.

What songs has he written for Linda Ronstadt?

Naomi Judd has passed away at the age of 76. Her and her daughter Wynonna were supposed to be inducted into the country music hall of fame tomorrow and have a 10 date tour later this year. Her other daughter, Ashley Judd, released a statement that they lost her due to mental illness.

• Sad 2

The band Low are really good. I can see why their minimalist, almost drone like nature. But the simplicity of it is so beautiful and elegant.

• Like 2

Fat Boy Slims You've Come Along Way Baby is groundbreaking and definitely a marker of modern electronic music. 

• Like 3