Red Dead Redemption Part Deux

MalaCloudy Black

I may have to do a whole second playthrough from the start, as I'm trying to 100% now, but some things were missable and I didn't do them. The nuts thing is I'm STILL running into stuff I've never noticed.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I ended up starting a second playthrough since I missed stuff the first time. I want to do the gun fighter stuff that I never did. 

I have been hearing rumors of a remake of the original RDR using the RDR2 engine/mechanics/graphics which would be dope.

Are you going to play Arthur any differently than you did the first time round? This has been my big question ahead of hopefully embarking on a second playthrough when I get my PS4 back.

13 minutes ago, Adam said:

Are you going to play Arthur any differently than you did the first time round? This has been my big question ahead of hopefully embarking on a second playthrough when I get my PS4 back.

I was going to, I was a saint on my first playthrough. I planned on being a real bastard this time....but I can't help being nice. So...no I'm not. Not too late to start robbing and killing though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I was going to, I was a saint on my first playthrough. I planned on being a real bastard this time....but I can't help being nice. So...no I'm not. Not too late to start robbing and killing though.

This is my thing - I wanna do another playthrough but I inevitably never go full bastard. But I want to do all the robbing side missions, etc - and with my post game on my other one, I just don't feel right doing them as John.

I originally had a psychopath run where Arthur was a psychopath who believed himself to be the son of Thor, but after that moment in the story he had a moment of clarity and reformed.

If I replay the game, Arthur is going to be a full blown villain, but one who is chillingly sane (and chillingly sincere, of course)

To be fair, one of the appeals of mayhem runs in story-driven games is to see if the developers added in a reaction to you just killing everyone you see. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was the last time I tried this and it was... rather disappointing. You can shoot the hostages in the first proper mission execution style and the game will go on as if you simply failed to rescue them, for example.

I’ve started over and I’m intentionally going suuuuuper slow. Once we got to Horseshoe Overlook, I stopped doing any story missions until I had gotten all of the rock carvings and dream catchers, and as many of the dinosaur bones as possible without going into the epilogue area of the map. When I returned to camp, EVERYONE had a snide comment about being gone so long or claimed I had abandoned them. Dutch even had a chat with me. Thankfully, my efforts with chores, chatting, and donating since then have made things turn around completely, but I was considered worse than Bill for a while.

I also highly advise taking care of all of the treasure maps ASAP. It makes a lot of things easier after that.

I’m not going for the full-blown saint run I did the first time, but I’m trying to keep my honor as high as I can while still doing the dastardly things necessary for getting some of the challenges and other side stuff you need to get 100%.

And AGAIN, I’ve found stuff I never had before this run. Stuff I hadn’t even heard of (that a lot of people already knew about.)

19 hours ago, Josh Mulaney said:

I’ve started over and I’m intentionally going suuuuuper slow. Once we got to Horseshoe Overlook, I stopped doing any story missions until I had gotten all of the rock carvings and dream catchers, and as many of the dinosaur bones as possible without going into the epilogue area of the map. When I returned to camp, EVERYONE had a snide comment about being gone so long or claimed I had abandoned them. Dutch even had a chat with me. Thankfully, my efforts with chores, chatting, and donating since then have made things turn around completely, but I was considered worse than Bill for a while.

I also highly advise taking care of all of the treasure maps ASAP. It makes a lot of things easier after that.

I’m not going for the full-blown saint run I did the first time, but I’m trying to keep my honor as high as I can while still doing the dastardly things necessary for getting some of the challenges and other side stuff you need to get 100%.

And AGAIN, I’ve found stuff I never had before this run. Stuff I hadn’t even heard of (that a lot of people already knew about.)

Wow, had no idea that would happen with the gang. I think I'll take a similar approach as you, stay mostly nice but still be a dick sometimes. I still can't resist fucking with settlers camping alone.

I am going to try to do everything i missed. I liked the Horse Shoe overlook hideout very much.

I think on my second playthrough I'm going to be less honourable in the earlier chapters, not least so I can do stuff like the Bandit challenges.

I played Arthur how I felt would fit the story for the most part, although in the early chapters it was very much a question of "would he go this far to protect the gang or not?" and often the answer was yes (i.e. Jimmy Brooks) but as it wore on I found myself playing very honourably for the most part even when I was miles away from camp doing my own thing.

I feel Rockstar did a very smart thing by making doing dishonorable things really difficult to stomach, particularly within actual story missions. I think that’s why so many people say they wanted to do a second run as a bad guy, but just couldn’t bring themselves to do it.

• 3 months later...

I finally, finally, finally 100% completed this game. I’ve also found every Easter egg and point of interest. I think I have one side mission left. Now I’m gonna study and skin the remaining animals, finish off donating to the trapper so I can get everything he offers, and buy every last piece of clothing.

And then there will, finally, be nothing left to do in this game.

And then I’ll probably go hunt and stuff.

• Like 2

I don't know if I ever will 100% complete it. 

I just get so wrapped in fucking with people. I like running into people in Valentine and making them fall into the mud. Or greeting someone nicely a few times then antagonizing them. Then standing on a roof when they try to fight me.

Yeah I'm on like 90% on my original save and although I've focused in the challenges, hunting and stuff more on my second playthrough, I'm still nowhere near 100%.

The game does not get old for me though really, I still love playing it for a few hours at a time a few times a week.