Going to movies alone

Your Mom

I started going to the movies alone/dining alone/etc. right after I finished undergrad. In that transitional period of life, I didn't have anyone to do these things with, so I had some of the same unease that you're talking about.

Turns out I ended up loving it. I can pick whatever movie, time, and place that works for me, sit through the credits if I want to or just leave immediately, openly cry at the sad parts, and on and on. In fact, it's incredibly liberating to have no need to answer to anyone.

Dining alone was a different adjustment, but I found certain ways of doing that I now intentionally still do when I can. It's great for people watching, possibly talking to someone next to you at the bar (if you do that), trying new foods without worrying who else is interested, etc.

The interesting thing was it was difficult to adjust to doing these things with other people later on. By now, I can do either. I desire both on different occasions.

To address one specific point brought up earlier, there's definitely no social judgement. It's an understandable and self-imposed myth, but a myth nonetheless. Generally speaking, if someone does somehow notice you're there alone (and they very likely will be oblivious to it), they'll likely turn to their friend and say, "I wish I could do that."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Sure, but I'm also used to being alone. When you go alone you can splurge. If you go to a movie with a date or a friend or whatever you're like "should I really get a 72 ounce soda and three buckets of popcorn? Probably just get the 32 ounce and 1 bucket between us. Don't want to seem like a hog." 

Um wrong, you go by yourself so you can sneak beers in your backpack and you don't have to share with anyone.

• Like 5

Cloudy gets it!

I really started doing things alone in college, when I got tired of trying to coordinate stuff with my friends only to have them back out at the last minute because they wanted to stay in and get drunk.  Once I moved across the country and didn't know anyone, I had no other options but to do stuff alone.  Movies, dinners, trips to Disneyland, I've done it all solo and am perfectly fine.  Having a roommate to do shit with is cool, but we'll go to the same movie at different times because we have different preferences on when we like to go.

Anyways, you can't let the idea of doing something alone prevent you from having a good time.  

• Like 1

Going to the movies is weird because it is intrinsically not a thing that is social during the process - only before or after. It is proper etiquette to not do anything social while watching a movie so I don't find it odd at all to go alone. I used to quite a bit and I only go now when other people do as an excuse to do other things before or after.

In the age of social media it's almost like I'm never alone, so movies are the same in that respect. My girlfriend and I tend to have the same taste, but I might go to a revival showing of something or an art house movie that I really am interested in alone. It's not that weird. When I worked in a theater I would often show up early or stay late to catch a movie I wanted to see.

• Like 1

I've been to movies myself before, a lot more recently.  I don't really have friends, especially where I live, so it's either go by myself or not see the show.  Plus I only go to cheap theatres and my friends that live in other cities only go to expensive theatres, so that will never work.

My wife and I would go together all the time - we love the theatre popcorn - but since our son was born, one of us stays home with him.  She's gone out with her friends to a couple.

I remember being younger and my wife feeling sorry for people by themselves.  I know a few people have judged me but I don't care.  I like being by myself so it's great for me.

I hardly ever go to movies much anymore it seems, except maybe on my birthday, but only if there's something I want to see, which there wasn't this year. But I'm used to going to movies and doing a lot of other stuff on my own. Friends either live far away or aren't available when I am, or I'm working when they're available, so its hard to find a good time. I'd definitely prefer to go out with friends, or go on a date for the first time in 8 years, but it is what it is. :mellow:

Going to the movies with a loved one or friends can be fun at times, especially if it's a massive blockbuster like Star Wars, or one of the comic movies, but something like Gone Girl was amazing to watch by yourself. I love watching films like that all by myself, and I'd hate to watch it with other people. I treat it like watching a film at home on my laptop, only on a much bigger screen, much nicer sound, awesome popcorn and evil Coke.

The first time I ever went by myself to the movies was to see World War Z. I had to stay awake to get on my nightshift schedule and figured I'd go to the movies as a way to stay awake. It was also a new release so they had a late showing. There turned out to be several people that went to that show and sure, it seemed weird at first just sitting there but once the movie started, I didn't think anything of it and really enjoyed myself. It was a combination of seeing a movie I wanted to see and not having to worry about keeping someone else sitting next to me entertained. I could just do what I want; watch the movie.

Just this year I broke the "eat by myself at a restaurant" thing. It was odd walking in and saying I was by myself, but then I just sat at the bar (Mexican place). When I felt like talking, I'd say something to the bar tender, but it was nice ordering whatever I wanted and taking my time. The second time I went, I didn't feel nearly as weird and even sat at a table that time.

Let's see, I've seen The Hateful Eight, Spotlight, Deadpool, The Witch, Batman V. Superman, Captain American: Civil War, Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange on my own just this year. The upside is not fighting over what to see. The downside is not having someone to talk about it with.

I saw Star Wars by myself last year because most of my buddies insisted on seeing the midnight show and had their tickets for months.  With my work schedule I just know no matter how good a movie is I'll struggle to not doze off at a midnight show.  So I waited through the weekend and saw it on my own the following Monday.  It was a matinee but still mobbed as a lot of people are off the week of Christmas.

It was the only time I'd gone to the movies alone.  Yeah it was a tad bit awkward sitting there playing with my phone whilst everybody else chatting with their friends.  But then once you're past that, the previews start and at that point it doesn't matter who's around you.  I'd have no problem seeing a movie alone again, I'm not there to socialize.

I used to love going to the movies alone. I haven't been to the cinema in years because it's hella expensive now, but there's nothing like an empty theater except for yourself, sitting dead centre, and just doing what the fuck you want. Mind, I do everything that I can do alone, alone, so this is nothing new to me >_>

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Azazel said:

I felt weird about it the first time, but I mean, its not like I'm going to talk to anyone during the movie anyway.  I haven't done it in a while but if there is a movie I want to see and nobody can or wants to go with me then I would do it.  My only issue with it is if I have to take a piss before the movie, but I can't leave my snacks/coat unattended.

My remedy to this would be to go to the St. Laurent Theater because nobody ever goes there.

I've gone a few times by myself and never felt out of place. I saw Ant-Man because I was on a long drive, and the weather turned suddenly awful. I thought "if I can kill two hours, either the weather will improve or the roads will at least by less congested", saw a Cineplex and stopped in. Saw Ant-Man, loved it, and had a great drive home, too.

• Like 1

I've been to the cinema a bunch of times by myself, it's excellent. You can sit where you want, see what you want, eat and drink what you want, you don't have to worry about the person next to you getting out their phone and LIVE TWEETING THE FUCKING FILM (seriously I went once with a girl who did this), it's dope.

Edited by ADG
  • Like 2