Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

10 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

IIRC, the focus of the current phase was supposed to be on shit going on in space and James Gunn was supposed to oversee that endeavor. But that was before he got axed and it seems like plans have changed a lot since then.

Hide contents

Seems like the possible big baddies for the MCU now are Kang The Conqueror and the Celestials. And neither of them have shown up outside of their respective show/movie of origin yet. I suppose in respect of Kang they laid the groundwork of him showing up on the big screen with the multiverse stuff in the most-recent Spider Man and Dr. Strange movies. But it still doesn't really feel like they are building toward something and on the movie side of the MCU.

Spoiler

My main theory is that Kang is the guy who sets up the real big shit that goes down. Like he doesn't serve as the big bad but he's around, heavily involved with Loki before showing up elsewhere.

I don't think they're going to commit to having a TV villain and a TV show have a massive footprint on the movies, since that's a major creative risk and this is Disney. But taking him from the TV series and "reintroducing" him in the movies to then bring in whomever their next major villain is does feel like something that makes sense.

But as we've said it's all very disjointed and everyone is doing something with no clear plan in place. So who knows.

Well I think it’s because there are so many threads that there’s the problem. We have multiverse stuff, young avengers stuff, God Stuff and thunderbolts stuff going on, pretty much everything can fall in one of those four camps.

Which would be fine if things weren’t crossing over between them at this exact point.

I think this phase is going to alienate a lot of people because it's not going to all come together for a big team up film and there's no over-arching storyline connecting them all. In addition to what's mentioned above, you've also got Captain Marvel, Fury, Kamala, Monica, the Skrulls, Kree, etc. all doing their own stuff in The Marvels and the Secret Invasion show.

Characters will crossover and be involved in arcs, but we aren't going to get an Avengers 5 or whatever for a long time. And honestly, that's how it should be right now. There isn't an Avengers team.

Thor is doing his own thing, Captain Marvel is teaming up with Monica & Kamala, Nick Fury has a story likely set before and after the Marvels (and before, during and after the Blip), Hawkeye is effectively retired but a mentor to Kate Bishop, Captain America just took up the mantle, Hulk is helping She-Hulk, no clue what they'll do with T'Challa but there's going to be a new Black Panther, Dr. Strange isn't in our dimension, etc etc.

Phase 4 and probably even Phase 5 is a rebuilding phase, with slightly interconnected but largely individual storylines, and has a lot of the Phase 1-3 heroes mentoring or teaming up with the next generation.

Is that satisfying for people? Maybe not. But I don't mind it. I don't think you can do Infinity War/Endgame and then just immediately move into the next big storyline. We need some air after those 10 years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tristy said:

I think this phase is going to alienate a lot of people because it's not going to all come together for a big team up film and there's no over-arching storyline connecting them all. In addition to what's mentioned above, you've also got Captain Marvel, Fury, Kamala, Monica, the Skrulls, Kree, etc. all doing their own stuff in The Marvels and the Secret Invasion show.

Characters will crossover and be involved in arcs, but we aren't going to get an Avengers 5 or whatever for a long time. And honestly, that's how it should be right now. There isn't an Avengers team.

Thor is doing his own thing, Captain Marvel is teaming up with Monica & Kamala, Nick Fury has a story likely set before and after the Marvels (and before, during and after the Blip), Hawkeye is effectively retired but a mentor to Kate Bishop, Captain America just took up the mantle, Hulk is helping She-Hulk, no clue what they'll do with T'Challa but there's going to be a new Black Panther, Dr. Strange isn't in our dimension, etc etc.

Phase 4 and probably even Phase 5 is a rebuilding phase, with slightly interconnected but largely individual storylines, and has a lot of the Phase 1-3 heroes mentoring or teaming up with the next generation.

Is that satisfying for people? Maybe not. But I don't mind it. I don't think you can do Infinity War/Endgame and then just immediately move into the next big storyline. We need some air after those 10 years.

I think the bigger problem is that Phase 4 has been largely average, the films haven't been great and the TV shows have been inconsistent. For me, it's certainly less about the next big storyline, it's more about the stories they're telling and the way they're telling them. There's been a mass of content for Phase 4, more than any other phase, and it's largely not hit great heights.

I don't mind if everyone's doing a different thing, but when you look at the way they handle GotG and Thor in this film and also Wanda's arc in Strange, there's just a lot of inconsistency across the board in how they're handling their characters and stories. 

I'll always keep watching, they're easy, I enjoy seeing characters I grew up with imagined, but I'll always hope for better quality content. So hopefully we get back there! 

• Like 2

I'm ok with how they handled GotG in Thor; it needed to be done to go the path that Taika wanted, so eh, as fun as Asguardians would've been, it wasn't necessary, and James Gunn has his baby back, though he has to handle the "hunt for Gamora" thing I guess, some of these films are much easier when they're self contained, like GOTG1&2 was.

But here we are, I still think the coolest thing would've been if Wong hadn't shown up earlier in Shang Chi (and the one or two mentions of the blip weren't in the film) for no reason and when he shows up in the restaurant scene it was to take Shang Chi to the Endgame battle, that would've been hot stuff to me.

But yeah, there's so much going on and we kind of want it all to tie together, but until they start tying some things up its going to look messy. With questions over literally every film and show that's come out since needing answering we're heavily in a transition period and I think we can expect to see other team ups before we get Avengers United or whatever they'll call it.

Read an interview with Kevin Feige the other week. He was asked about what we could expect from Phase 5, given his statement that Phase 4 was concluding relatively soon. He said that fans have been getting very small hints for a while as to what's coming next and that it should become clearer in the coming months. 

I'm guessing that probably means  (Ms Marvel finale spoiler): 

Spoiler

Mutants, at long last. 

I don't think I mentioned it yet, but I did enjoy Thor: Love & Thunder for the most part. Not as good as Ragnarok, but an entertaining way to waste two hours nonetheless. And Christian Bale definitely stole the show.

Edited by Hellraiser

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked Thor, saw it today. I thought it was just a lot of fun, bright and colorful fun. The black and white sequence was nicely done and I definitely echo the love for Christian Bale, he was superb. I really enjoyed all the visual effects. I wish we had got more GOTG but they're also my favorite thing in the MCU so I'm biased.