Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

3 hours ago, Josh said:

I’m cautiously excited for that. I gather it won’t start off with the surface premise of “Look at these genuine good guys!” the way the comic did, but follow in the same spirit.

I think it would be best to have the characters they interact with and the world around them not realize who they are... just that they are there and saving everyone... meanwhile, the audience is fully aware of what is happening because we're watching Zemo and the team struggle with acting like good guys.

Some of the team ends up leaning more towards good and wanting to redeem themselves... some of the team stays on course for whatever their master plan is... and one of the members can be their Jolt, oblivious to everything happening.

The Ah-Ha moment won't be when the audience finds out about the charade. It will be when their Jolt character finds out.

Hell, I'd even go with Jolt as this character, and have Zemo or one of the other baddies just straight up murder her when she figures it all out.

On September 2nd Spider-Man No Way Home is getting re-released in cinemas with a "More Stuff" version that has a little bit more footage. It will also be re-released on Blu-Ray/digital just before Christmas as a separate version.

I hope this isn't a sign of how things are going to be in the future, studios deliberately releasing a film with content missing to allow them to double-up on revenue with a second version.

5 hours ago, Chris2K said:

On September 2nd Spider-Man No Way Home is getting re-released in cinemas with a "More Stuff" version that has a little bit more footage. It will also be re-released on Blu-Ray/digital just before Christmas as a separate version.

I hope this isn't a sign of how things are going to be in the future, studios deliberately releasing a film with content missing to allow them to double-up on revenue with a second version.

Pictured: the video game industry.

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S09E11/251233.jpg?b64lines=IElUJ1MgQkVFTiBET05FLg==

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Didn't this already happen with another movie a few years back? I can't remember which movie though.

Edit: It was Avengers: Endgame with a Stan Lee tribute, a Bruce Banner scene with unfinished CGI and a scene from Spider Man: Far From Home. Apparently they did it with A Star Is Born (12 extra minutes) too. 

Edited by Hellraiser

I finally saw Dr Strange. It was okay. When Sam Raimi really got to do his own thing it was at its best, when it was standard MCU fare it was at its worst.

It was obvious for a lot of reasons this was filmed during the pandemic. Didn't look great at times with seemingly even more reliance than usual on CG sets. 

2 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Didn't this already happen with another movie a few years back? I can't remember which movie though.

Edit: It was Avengers: Endgame with a Stan Lee tribute, a Bruce Banner scene with unfinished CGI and a scene from Spider Man: Far From Home. Apparently they did it with A Star Is Born (12 extra minutes) too. 

Don't forget Once Upon a Deadpool also

• Like 1

Once Upon A Deadpool is a weird case, though. Nothing from this version was "missing" - it was intentionally cut to make it a PG-13 movie, had new scenes written and filmed specifically for it, and had a narrative reason for all of it (Deadpool reading a "story"/the film's plot to Fred Savage).

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Multiverse of Madness is on Disney+. Yes, already. If you want to keep track, it released in cinemas 48 days ago.

I think this is going to be the new normal for a lot of major releases.

This pleases me, as I will not be going to sit in a crowded theater until the world gets its shit together... and I'd rather just watch it at home anyways, even if everything was fan-dabbi-dozi.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I look forward to seeing the episode of Assembled about that one.

I hate that Disney+ doesn’t get the Spidermens, ‘cause I’d really like to see an Assembled on No Way Home.

I doubt they'd do an Assembled on any of them but UK Disney+ just got Spider-Man Homecoming recently.

• Like 1

M.O.M. Was just ok for me

Spoiler

I really didn’t want to be against Wanda, especially after watching WandaVision. I wanted her to have her happy ending and be reunited with her children. It just wasn’t the movie I was expecting going in I guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IDOL said:

M.O.M. Was just ok for me

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

See, and for me, that's entirely what worked about the movie. Wanda going on a path of destruction to get back what she loves, plowing through anyone and anything that would get in her way... but only after offering fair warning to give others the chance to survive... I could relate. I've been there. I'm sure I'll be there again in life.

She was a monster out of necessity. She didn't take great pleasure in what she was doing, but was willing to do it because those are the lengths to which she will go to reunite with her children. Those types of villains always resonate more with me. They're scarier because they're not fully evil.

I basically just sat through MoM cheering Wanda on to some extent. She's the antagonist of the film, but I think it's a stretch to say she was a full-on bad guy. Her seated on her throne is one of the coolest visuals I've seen in the MCU. If anything, I'd say that they'd be doing her a disservice by not allowing the character to continue down this path in a less vicious way. Her exploring the dark arts and embracing the Scarlet Witch is a story that I want to see continue.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask the question, but I feel like it has Marvel in the title, so lets go. 

Me and the kids are watching the various Marvel movies. We decided to watch the X Men movies. I forgot how good these movies are and my heart sort of ached that this direction of superhero movies has been lost. The Marvel movies these days lack soul, grit and edge and the X Men movies have those in buckets. I think both have issues with plot and consistency and being too on the nose. But there is something really great about the bizarreness of the X Men movies. 

It's my big worry on them bringing them into the MCU. The X-Men films (particularly X2) were all based around the idea of mutant persecution, and the varying philosophies of Xavier and Magneto. I always find it difficult to square that racism aspect with positivity towards other powered heroes, and it's hard enough to get away with that in the comics let alone in movies.

• Like 2

Honestly with Multiverse of Madness opening up the idea of there being different universes, i'd rather they just avoid the issue entirely and set anything X-Men related in their own little universe away from the rest of the MCU.

As said, X-Men has always been about the dynamics of persecution and bigotry and mutants have been used as analogies of jews, racial segregation, anti-semitismm, Anti-LGBTQ+, and other forms of discrimination for as long as they existed. To bring them into a world where people are taking selfies with Dr. Strange or drooling over Thor, it would create a very weird situation where on the flipside you have mutants be discriminated against despite being the same but different.

Or you'd have to remove the bigotry from their story, but that kind of defeats much of the point of the X-Men and their overarching story of overcoming persecution.

Not saying that Marvel couldn't make it work all the same, they've knocked most of their work out of the park with the MCU, but it would honestly give the entire X-Men much more legs if it has its own room to breathe rather than having to be fit into the already existing world.

With the multiverse opened up, you can always bring them in for Avengers Vs. X-Men related shenanigans.

Or maybe they could debut the X-Men/Mutants through the multiverse, and build on general themes of xenophobia of powered humans coming from another universe to 'endanger' the current universe, and in turn mutants can be treated like dregs because they're not originally from the MCU's main universe.

EDIT: Although TBH, a "We were always there, but we're choosing to make ourselves heard" story could also work just as well. People IRL find all sorts of excuses to discriminate against people, and the hypocrisy of putting Avengers on a pedestal and finding Mutants scary is a story you can definitely play out.

• Like 1

I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to set movies like the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Blade, Deadpool, etc in a multiverse (at first). Fox's "official" Earth designation is 10005, so maybe these would be set in, say, Earth-10007 since they're likely to have different talent on board (except Deadpool). Treat them as separate things at first, but inevitably you're going to have to merge them - especially when your next big bad is seemingly Kang the Conqueror as of right now, and the latest MCU movie mentions incursions. But the likelihood of most of those franchises getting even one movie out before the culmination of the Kang/incursion stuff is unlikely. Blade & Deadpool, probably, but it'd be only one movie. I don't expect F4 or X-Men to have anything for a long while.

I also wouldn't hate the idea of just setting the X-Men/mutants in the current day MCU, but explain they live in Krakoa and it's kind of like Wakanda, where people either believe it's 1) not a real place or 2) they believe it's something other than what it actually is (ie: Wakanda was believed to be a third world country). This is probably my preferred idea, actually.

• Like 1

For me, I've been thinking that setting the first X-Men movie in an alternate universe to introduce them would be ideal, and then have them brought over to the mainstream continuity through some type of multiversal shenanigans. Then you can play up that the world hates the mutants, but not their "regular" superheroes, because the mutants are essentially immigrants from another universe, who are "being forced on them" due to the collapse of their original universe or through an incursion that is stopped (but not until severe damage is done).

I don't think I like the idea of them just saying "Well, they've been here the whole time... but no one knew". If they didn't do that with Wakanda already, then I'd say maybe. But you also have to consider that Atlantis would end up taking the same route, and then it just becomes a question of how much of the planet don't the people know about and is it realistic to think that three major areas in the world were just invisible to everyone for so long?

• Like 1