Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

Really enjoyed Multiverse of Madness. The horror elements were great, and some of the surprises packed in made me geek out more than I have in recent memory. VERY glad I didn't get stuff spoiled for me because it wouldn't have been as fun. Looking forward to Thor, that should be really good.

Regarding Wanda's characterisation: 

Spoiler

I think the post-credits scene from WandaVision was probably slightly mishandled, and was meant to imply that she's absolutely not over everything and not truly learned her lesson. The fact she is using the Darkhold is meant to be the signifier to this, but it's not dwelled upon much.  We could probably have done with the malevolence of the book being focused on more prior to its appearance there. 

• Like 3

I mean they could make Agents of SHIELD canon. 

Spoiler

On that show they explicitly say the Darkhold corrupts everyone who reads it

21 hours ago, DFF said:

Regarding Wanda's characterisation: 

Hide contents

I think the post-credits scene from WandaVision was probably slightly mishandled, and was meant to imply that she's absolutely not over everything and not truly learned her lesson. The fact she is using the Darkhold is meant to be the signifier to this, but it's not dwelled upon much.  We could probably have done with the malevolence of the book being focused on more prior to its appearance there. 

Spoiler

It's just a shame because the whole show could've truly been about her journey towards darkness, but it seemed like they wanted to redeem her and keep her as a hero. Strange 2 would've played so much better if we truly got to previously explore the idea that her created reality wasn't enough for her and that she desperately sought a different fixed reality. The emotional stakes would've really hit and we'd have had a "villain" who we truly understood (and also care for). 

There's even the extra nuance of her not wanting to hurt other people, but is comfortable hurting a version of herself etc. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jimmy said:
  Hide contents

There's even the extra nuance of her not wanting to hurt other people, but is comfortable hurting a version of herself etc. 

That still doesn't make sense though, because

Spoiler

She still hurt ALL THOSE OTHER PEOPLE

My thoughts on Dr. Strange

Spoiler

Overall, I did really like it. Music was good, fight scenes and effects were fucking great of course. 

Some gripes....also didn't like how quickly Reed Richards and Professor X were vanquished. I do expect that we will eventually see X-Men and Fantastic Four movies, so maybe they didn't want to give us too big of a taste of the action. But at the same time....Reed Richards is just turned into silly string immediately? 

I was kind of hoping for a other cameos even if they were something as simple as other well known Marvel heros or villians showing up for a split second (might be my own fault for having that expectation. But like Silver Surfer zipping by in the universe or seeing Ghostrider for a second or two when there was evil shit happening). 

And then that goes into my gripe about Wanda. I liked that she was a pretty scary antagonist at times, but seeing her this powerful now makes me wonder why she didn't just zap Thanos's head off with her magic. Not like he's some supernatural being, just a burly outerspace warrior guy. Obviously they had a story to tell, but part of me felt like it was weird how Scarlett Witch felt like this unstoppable monster all of a sudden. 

She was the villian, but christ I actually felt like Thanos was more sympathetic than her in a lot ways. I don't know, I liked her and didn't like her as the villain. 

But it was good, Benedict Cumberbatch is great as Dr. Strange so the movie was always going to be entertaining. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DMN in the House said:

Finally got to see it. It was good, but I have one complaint...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I put this down to that universe's Reed having never met Wanda or knowing what a Scarlet Witch was. Takes the edge off what is a particularly lame death.

That was a fucking fun movie. Keep letting directors with specific styles take on character franchises that match up well.

Spoiler

And I loved how OP Wanda is. I didn’t take the Illuminati as chumps, just woefully outmatched.

That WandaVision post-credits scene could have gone one step further in setting Wanda up for this, but I’ll take what I got.

Some people in our theater were laughing at moments that weren’t going for comedy, but that’s gonna happen when Raimi does his thing and just leans HARD into the comic book cheesiness. Specific moments included the first time someone says The Illuminati and a lot of Corpse Strange’s dialogue. But I LOVED that they went for that cheese. That’s comic books, baby.

And god, yeah, those horror touches were amazing. The first-person views, the fixed cameras on panicking faces, the fucking GORE and body horror - just so much quality.

I’m looking forward to getting more America Chavez, as well as Fantastic Four and X-Men.

What’s everyone referring to with Tom Cruise as Iron Man?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Josh said:

That was a fucking fun movie. Keep letting directors with specific styles take on character franchises that match up well.

Hide contents

And I loved how OP Wanda is. I didn’t take the Illuminati as chumps, just woefully outmatched.

That WandaVision post-credits scene could have gone one step further in setting Wanda up for this, but I’ll take what I got.

Some people in our theater were laughing at moments that weren’t going for comedy, but that’s gonna happen when Raimi does his thing and just leans HARD into the comic book cheesiness. Specific moments included the first time someone says The Illuminati and a lot of Corpse Strange’s dialogue. But I LOVED that they went for that cheese. That’s comic books, baby.

And god, yeah, those horror touches were amazing. The first-person views, the fixed cameras on panicking faces, the fucking GORE and body horror - just so much quality.

I’m looking forward to getting more America Chavez, as well as Fantastic Four and X-Men.

What’s everyone referring to with Tom Cruise as Iron Man?

Spoiler

There were rumours that Tom Cruise was going to be playing an Iron Man variant, and some poster that had Captain Marvel all light up caused a bunch of people to think it was actually an Iron Man.

• Like 1

re: those rumors

Spoiler

The writer of the movie (or one of them) has said he very much wanted Tom Cruise as Iron Man to happen and proposed the idea to Kevin Feige but they never actually asked him in part because he would have been way too busy filming another Mission Impossible at around the same time.

• Like 1

Ah. Fair. I feel like it’s never wise to put faith in rumors with the MCU, as they can easily go either way. And honestly? I’m glad that didn’t happen. Just would have fueled a lot of false hope and fears.

• Like 1

I liked the movie a lot. A couple thoughts mostly positive

Spoiler

America is one of my favorite comic characters and it was a little weird not seeing her as her ass kicking self but I'm sure she'll get there.

How did the Dr. Strange corpse end up in 616? Was that ever explained? Like it was wrapped in a sheet on the roof of the Sanctum but who put it there? America? It wasn't Strange or Wong because they seemed surprised.

Was kinda hoping for a Stark variant in the Illuminati but that's ok because...

Captain Carter! :w00t: 

Captain Marvel! :w00t:

Professor X complete with little X-Men theme sting as he rolled up! :w00t: 

MR FUCKING FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

But on that note Reed was jobbed you guys :( That part sucked.

Like I'm not sure I was supposed to like the Illuminati outside of X. He seemed like he was trying to be a good dude but it made me really sad when Wanda just tore through all of them like nothing. Except Black Bolt because fuck that guy. He is so boring. Like that part must suck. No lines at all!

I was excited to see Charlize finally in the MCU but I had to look up what character she was when I got home. I mean cool I guess? At least she's here.

That doesn't matter anyway because my new favorite MCU character is PIZZA POPPA! He could carry his own trilogy easily. I know this was a long read but guess what IT'S OVER! :lol: 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

How did the Dr. Strange corpse end up in 616? Was that ever explained? Like it was wrapped in a sheet on the roof of the Sanctum but who put it there? America? It wasn't Strange or Wong because they seemed surprised.

The first Strange who fought the "rag monster" got killed by the monster whilst trying to steal America's powers, and his corpse fell through the portal that America opened, landing in 616. America knew where it was (which was only the roof of the sanctum) and took Strange and Wong there.

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2022 at 12:03, Your Mom said:

I liked the movie a lot. A couple thoughts mostly positive

Hide contents

America is one of my favorite comic characters and it was a little weird not seeing her as her ass kicking self but I'm sure she'll get there.

Was kinda hoping for a Stark variant in the Illuminati but that's ok because...

Captain Carter! :w00t: 

Captain Marvel! :w00t:

Professor X complete with little X-Men theme sting as he rolled up! :w00t: 

MR FUCKING FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

But on that note Reed was jobbed you guys :( That part sucked.

Like I'm not sure I was supposed to like the Illuminati outside of X. He seemed like he was trying to be a good dude but it made me really sad when Wanda just tore through all of them like nothing. Except Black Bolt because fuck that guy. He is so boring. Like that part must suck. No lines at all!

I was excited to see Charlize finally in the MCU but I had to look up what character she was when I got home. I mean cool I guess? At least she's here.

That doesn't matter anyway because my new favorite MCU character is PIZZA POPPA! He could carry his own trilogy easily. I know this was a long read but guess what IT'S OVER! :lol: 

Spoiler

I think I would have less problem with Reed (and the others) getting jobbed if they hadn't called them The Illuminati. Like, Illuminati Richards is a top level threat, not a dumbass who gets spaghettified.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...