Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

• 2 weeks later...

Considering I utterly hate the source material I was pleasantly surprised by Eternals. It's too long, and has It's flaws, but it wasn't bad and there's a few characters I'd like to see more of. Mainly the fella from Gangsta Granny, but still.

• Like 2

I actually really enjoyed Eternals. I didn't find it too long at all, despite it being 2 hr 36. Felt like it needed the time to build up some of the characters.

To address a couple of the criticisms a few in the press had - (not overly spoilery but will hide just in case)

Spoiler

1. About their being two plots in two timelines - I thought it was quite clear that modern day is the plot and its the other scenes are simply scene setting flashbacks. It's not difficult to follow in the slightest. 

2. That there's too many characters.  Initially when I saw them all I wondered the same, but as mentioned at the start of the post, there's plenty of time to get to know them. Some get less development, though its clear this is to let potential sequels breathe. 

On the whole, I thought it might a nice change from the standard Marvel formula and hopefully we'll get a direct sequel out of it. 

Both post-creds scenes were cool too. 

• Like 2

My eternals gripe was

Spoiler

The ever evolving deviant subplot was completely unnecessary and went nowhere.  Ikaris twist could have just been done earlier and he would have been fine as the primary villain.  Just have him controlling the deviants or whatever.

• Like 2

I was expecting Eternals to suck, based on the trailer, the cast and the look of things. Man, I was wrong, it was 100% my kind of thing. Some of the acting felt flat or rushed with no space to breathe, I think I'd honestly prefer a longer cut to see more interpersonal stuff with the various characters. The characters certainly don't come across as ancient as they should, but I'm fine with that for the sake of telling a better story. Gutted I never saw it at the cinema.

That being said:

Spoiler

I can see why some people hate it, since it brings in loads of stuff from the comics which the MCU honestly didn't need to. It's a lot to take in with all the new characters, locations, timeframes, concepts, etc. Also, I'm sure some people hate the idea of 'Earth' or humanity being an exception to the status quo for plot convenience (oh yay, a chosen one storyline), or with the lack of other heroes showing up in crises.

I am REALLY intrigued where Guardians and Thor go now. This is the crazy universe-building stuff I love the most from Marvel. I didn't think this stuff would ever get the MCU treatment, I thought Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet was going to be lost on most people, but it wasn't. I'm hoping this picks up more praise. I want more cosmic stuff and people to enjoy it!

I'm also really glad this precedes any introductions of other universal beings (Galactus, etc) or ancient characters (Apocalypse, etc) due to the licensing delays. It feels like they have so much space to build into, I'm so pleasantly surprised. This issue with Sony and Fox might have been a blessing in disguise, since it feels the MCU is going to lead to an epic crescendo when they start bringing in more and more powerful characters.

And Black Knight? I did not see that coming. At all. I have no idea what it means, but I'm excited. They know they're big teases.

I'm so glad to have had my low expectations blasted away like that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jeringle All The Way said:

On reflection, I think it could have trimmed a little bit off and streamlined some stuff, but I thought Eternals was fine overall. More interested in their future going forward and how they play into everything.

Yeah that's basically how I feel too. 

Watched it today, can concur with most critiques that it was just super duper heavy on the exposition/baggage and just needing to do so much in a span of 2.5 hours was an exhausting ride.

But I still really liked the film, at the mid-point I had my doubts about whether or not the film should be in the MCU at all since it goes so wild on lore, but after the (very convenient) wrap-up I was more confident of it.

Honestly, the film couldn't have really done it in any more bespoke manner because it was already quite heavy on the trim and emotional moments fell flat because of the lack of connection. A real case of the bandaid needing to be ripped off one way or the other, and this was the most efficient way without forcing people to commit to two films for one story, especially when the only precedent for that is IW/EG and Eternals doesn't warrant that treatment.

Intrigued where they go next.

Eternals was fine. It looked better than any MCU film ever has because the settings looked much more natural, I believe I recall reading they used less CG in this one. That always goes a long way, CG backgrounds have always looked dated-on-arrival.

Way too bloated though with far too many characters we're supposed to care about and way too much plot to cram in there. 

Spoiler

They needed to ditch the 90 minute chase against the Deviants. If we knew all the characters having a red herring villain is fine, but we didn't. So we're trying to do multiple things at once and then we get to the glaringly obvious twist that one of the Eternals was behind everything and you're just like "yeah, okay, fine". Then it immediately goes into the ol' Marvel laser battle since they have no other way to even attempt to end their movies. 

End of the day this is the MCU where every movie exists to set up the next one. They seemed for some reason afraid to do that for most of Eternals and wanted to instead have it almost feel like a standalone entity. Just weird creative decisions and it felt like they put a ton of faith in Chloe Zhao to just "make it work".

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I just started Eternals and it looks fucking stupid and I don't know who anyone is. Is it worth sticking with this for good god nearly 3 hours?

I feel like some of the stuff introduced here is going to be integral to the overarching plot of the MCU going forward. So you might wanna sit through it unless you don't mind looking stuff up when it comes up again in later movies. 

• Thanks 1