Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

I would LOVE Okoye taking the lead. I honestly would wish they would started in that direction instead of Shuri.

I’ve also seen suggestions of just recasting Shuri. One way or another, they should do that. If you can recast Rhodey and Bruce Banner, why not?

IGN has a few new clips from No Way Home. Little 40-50 second deals. Behind the wall of spoilers:

Spoiler

I think the speculation was leaving beyond Black Panther 2. Sounds like she'll finish that for sure. 

It's a shame because she's an incredible actress and someone whose talent I admire a lot - I saw her on stage a few years before Black Panther and she was just brilliant. 

8 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Apparently Letitia Wright is staying and not leaving the movie?

Yeah they've already done some/most of the filming, I don't think there was any speculation they'd recast her and reshoot a ton for this movie. But it's more beyond Black Panther 2.

It's pretty clear she was the biggest standout in a cast of standouts in the first Black Panther movie. I thought she'd be one of the biggest stars in the MCU. And after Chadwick's unfortunate passing I then thought, along with many others, she was the ideal person to become the new "face" of Black Panther movies. To seemingly be willing to throw that all away is incredible. And the success she was having with the MCU would have easily translated into movie/prestige TV roles for years to cone. Maybe we have the good end to Covid where it becomes such a weak virus that vaccination isn't necessary and she can slide back in to the picture in a few years but I'm not holding my breath on that. She might have burnt some bridges and people are happy to see her go.

Also I don't think there'd too much trouble recasting her character, but also as Shuri is ostensibly a (important admittedly) side character she can also just go away and have that role in the movies replaced with someone new.

Shuri's gone off to study at MIT. This is her previously unknown sister, Sh... o... ri.

Letitia Wright shows up in a funny hat

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Also, after reading a couple other reviews, I can safely say if we speculated it would happen in this movie, it happens in this movie. The return of Doc Ock, others coming through as well, ...

Spoiler

... certain blind lawyers...

Spider-Man No Way Home is...

Spoiler

Excellent. Genuinely funny, emotional, full of surprises ranging from the obvious to the fun, a very good story and it somehow manages to carry off being a full stop on the trilogy and start a new path.

Charlie Cox. I'm so happy. Not a multi-verse thing, a straight-up Daredevil in the standard MCU-verse.

The scenes with Maguire, Garfield and Holland together were superbly written and acted. I expected Maguire to get killed, but he didn't, which was nice.

I am a bit disappointed with the mid-credits scene, it feels like they threw a MCU scene in Venom and a Venom scene in the MCU as a token gesture and nothing else. The symbiote drip being left behind would mean more if it really didn't feel like the Sony-verse is a permanent separate entity.

Maybe I'm weird but I would have preferred an actual scene than the Dr. Strange teaser trailer, trailers are so untrustworthy these days that it didn't feel like it meant much. Evil Dr. Strange will be fun though.

• Like 2

No Way Home was fantastic.

Spoiler

I had a killer headache until late then a negative LFT and then realised 'hey...I live near that cinema'. One seat left. Book it.

Anyway, what a great way to tie things together, revisit characters who deserved more and keep the possibilities limitless. This reminded me of seeing Days of Future Past.

When a Spider-Man film STARTS with Doc Ock vs Iron Spider, you know they're going to pummel us with fan service entertainment. Holland's Spidey vs Defoe's Goblin is something I never thought I'd get and I love it.

I hope this isn't the end of Ned and MJ. 

Andrew Garfield and Jaime Foxx look like they had a blast doing this. I've only just seen Amazing Spider-Man 2 today, inbetween time of booking No Way Home and getting to the cinema. It was the only Spidey-film I hadn't seen and while it was very meh, it really gave Garfield's Spidey meaning and extra motivation for No Way Home. Loved it. Easily his best outing in the suit. Catching MJ got me in the feels. The dialogue is such an improvement over Amazing 2.

So many little cameos with the rift, you can definitely see a Rhino silhouette at one point. I wish I could have hit pause.

They could easily have removed Lizard from this entirely, but it's cool they had a villain from every Maguire/Garfield film.

No wait, I haven't seen every Spider-film since I never saw Let There Be Carnage but the credits scene was still fine. I think most of the people in the cinema weren't sure it was even Tom Hardy for a good while.

If that's the same level of tortured Stephen Strange at the post-credits as seen in What If, I really can't see how Dr Strange is going to survive this time.

One last comment; this film is so genuinely funny and self-referential, it deserved an award just for that.

• Like 3

Holy shit that was amazing.

Spoiler

Such an epic film that managed to make me forget Charlie Cox was in it till I saw the credits.

Charlie Cox! Daredevil! In the MCU! The cheeky bastards Marvel are to have Daredevil show up in Spider-Man 3, releasing on the same day that a certain someone appears in the Hawkeye episode that day. Love that synergy.

I thought the way they handled everything was very well done, it was so amazing to see Molina, Dafoe, Fox etc all show up and knock it out the park. But it was such a cocktease for a Sinister Six setup. Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Electro, Lizard, Sandman......why is there no sixth villain?! Kept waiting expecting someone else to show up.

I didn't expect them to introduce Garfield/Maguire the way they did but it was still awesome. I saw Thanos snap at the midnight release of Infinity War, I saw Cap catch Mjolnir opening night of Endgame, and still the biggest audience cheer I've ever witnessed was when Garfield jumped through the portal and took his mask off. Bizarre.

Really liked how Holland matured during this, his Spidey has always been a bit selfish, a bit of a dick so for him to grow up a bit was nice. Andrew Garfeld really stole the show though, I've saw all the Spidey films before and his own series was underwhelming but I kinda loved his Spidey in this the best? His personality seemed the most spot on and his moment catching MJ was really well done, without overdoing it.

Doctor Strange 2 looks really good too. I thought he was being really weirdly a huge asshole in this but eh. Enjoyed the teases of Ned with the sling ring and the cape at the end, hopefully him and MJ aren't gone for good.

Such a shame seeing how excited JHS was about Venom being in the MCU, given how brief his stay was >_>

• Like 2

me accidentally clicking a spoiler

Well goddammit, now I gotta see this over the weekend!

1 hour ago, Merry Kaneymas said:

Holy shit that was amazing.

Hide contents

I thought the way they handled everything was very well done, it was so amazing to see Molina, Dafoe, Fox etc all show up and knock it out the park. But it was such a cocktease for a Sinister Six setup. Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Electro, Lizard, Sandman......why is there no sixth villain?! Kept waiting expecting someone else to show up.

Spoiler

My guess is that in theory, Venom is the sixth "villain", but they were too busy drinking on the beach to show up to cause any problems.

I did forget to mention how wonderful the acting was, particularly Dafoe, Fox, Molina (including the part where I'm pretty sure he just talks in his cockney accent), Garfield, Maguire and Zendaya. Aunt May's death was so powerful as well with both Tom Holland and Marisa Tomei knocking the scene out of the park.

• Like 2