Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

So I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler

Fight choreography was really good, easily the best I've seen in a Marvel film. Great casting overall, Simu Liu is a star, Tony Leung and Michelle Yeoh all-timers, Awkwafina has charisma for days, and so much more. Took the relatively standard Marvel original movie and added in enough to make it feel like a new experience.

One thing I found odd is there was no mention of the blip. Assuming this occurred shortly after it should have certainly come up given its global impact.

8 minutes ago, damshow said:

So I really enjoyed it.

Hide contents

Fight choreography was really good, easily the best I've seen in a Marvel film. Great casting overall, Simu Liu is a star, Tony Leung and Michelle Yeoh all-timers, Awkwafina has charisma for days, and so much more. Took the relatively standard Marvel original movie and added in enough to make it feel like a new experience.

One thing I found odd is there was no mention of the blip. Assuming this occurred shortly after it should have certainly come up given its global impact.

There was one mention of it in passing early on.

Fucking can’t workout spoiler tags

Edited by Tigerstyle

Enjoyed it - some really nice fight scenes and choreography. Nice to watch something that feels distinctive in the MCU, did a good enough job that was left with that familiar feeling of wishing it could have more freedom to do its own thing. Tony Leung is fantastic. 

Spoiler

Ben Kingsley stuff was weird but fun.

e.g. third act problem - a lot of all that character stuff happens too quickly in the CGI fest, which is something I just didn't need at all. 

I'm mentioning this specifically, because I felt like a lot of the other fight stuff was really nice because it basically happened in place of dialogues; Shang Chi fighting his sister as a way or arguing over his leaving, Tony Leung fighting with his soon-to-be wife working as a romantic dance.

These were really nice ways to use fight scenes in ways that felt emotional, and in place of standard dialogue scenes - we don't often get that the MCU, so I was hoping for more from the final act. The beats are still there, but they feel less personal and less effective. 

• Like 1

I wasn't into it, which is a bummer. Highly possible I wasn't in the right headspace to watch it, the theater was fuller than I'd have liked and I was a little tired, but not a ton of it landed with me. I just didn't feel much for the fight scenes, I think because I wasn't into how many sweeping shots and cuts were in a lot of them. But I also think I'm in the minority there so it's what it is! The movie did feel, tonally, like its own thing which I respect. But I also felt like I was at a distance from a lot of the characters where in a lot of points they felt more like sets of motivations or plot functions to me than people. Tony Leung was excellent and I wish there was more of him in this. Simu Liu and Awkwafina were both as charming as you'd expect, though Katy feels like much more of a fleshed-out character to me than Shang-Chi himself, they fell a bit into the old superhero movie trap of making the villain more engaging than the main character. Also I better get more Ronny Chieng in the sequel.

My favorite part of the movie is probably

Spoiler

The way it reckoned with Iron Man 3 and the legacy of The Mandarin as a character. The idea that the guy who is MCU's version of the actual Mandarin from the comics has no time or interest in that name and looks at it as a ridiculous bit of Western appropriation is a very good meta comment on the actual comics history/stereotypical origins of that character.

Bit of a Captain Marvel "I didn't like it but I'm happy for the people that did" thing at the end of the day for me, I guess.

• Like 3

Saw Shang-Chi today and really enj

oyed it. Like others have said Tony Leung performance was excellent.

End credit spoilers:

Spoiler

With the ten rings being confirmed as returning at somepoint, that seems like would something we would get on Disney + has a show already previously been announced?

• 2 weeks later...

it's an interesting one, largely because it's Steve Ditko. 

The precedent for this is Jack Kirby - his estate unsuccessfully claimed ownership of characters he'd created, because it was ruled they were created as "work for hire" while Kirby was employed by Marvel. That precedent already doesn't work in the Ditko estate's favour, but even moreso when it comes to Ditko himself - he was an arch-Randian libertarian, who reportedly said that your only right in life is "a day's work for a day's pay". He definitely saw everything he produced as just being work-for-hire, and likely would have rejected the idea that he had any right to them above and beyond that. So he's a really ironic figure to be at the centrepiece of this story.

I think the likely outcome will be Ditko's name in the credits, and the estate making some royalties off appearances of characters he's created.

The other thing to remember is that if the seemingly impossible happens and Marvel lose the rights to Spider-Man, the suit is based on the character's first appearance. So anything introduced by Marvel after that point, anything not created by Ditko & Lee at that time, would still belong to Marvel. That would include a lot of the backstory and the supporting cast, variations on the costume design, probably certain powers. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

That article just sounds like they should replace her with Esposito.

I mean I wouldn't really mind...

• Haha 1

On 09/07/2021 at 20:21, Chris2K said:

I agree, as a movie it's really good, but in the inter-connected world of the MCU it feels really out of place.

Movie spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

And it really doesn't do anything to further the MCU or fill in any blanks from what we knew before. That said, David Harbour is fantastic throughout, every scene he's in he steals. Florence Pugh is also really good, if a somewhat surprising choice for most of the funny lines. Rachel Weisz, also great, and naturally every chase scene and action set piece was standard Marvel magnificence.

On the opposite side, Ray Winstone was... a member of the cast. The less said about his Russian accent the better, he always felt once vocal break away from telling us Bet365's in play offers, and for us all to gamble responsibly.

I feel conflicted about the Taskmaster reveal, I understand the need to not always be the same as the comics, but I feel like Taskmaster is too much of a big comic character to be retconned in such a big way. Fair play to Olga Kurylenko for getting I assume a hefty paycheck for standing with the mask off and doing none of the fight scenes. unless she grew several inches and put on 50lbs of muscle in between takes.

Also the right-on-the-nose Game of Thrones reference would have felt much more relevant had the movie been released on time :(.

Credits spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

It seems we now have a situation where the movie credit scenes are setting up the TV shows, which is kinda crazy. Given Hawkeye is hardly going to be the focus of his own movie trilogy it wouldn't be too shocking for Yelena to actually succeed in getting her target.

And of course, in the only 2 minutes she had, JLD was absolutely incredible.

Well played, you've got a 3 months delayed laugh on the Ray Winstone Bet365 bit...