Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

10 hours ago, tristy said:

Batista has been saying this'll probably be his last Marvel movie anyway, so I doubt he cares.

He said if he keeps going, Drax will have to start wearing a shirt.

Meanwhile, Stephen Dorff has come out saying he feels embarassed for Scarlett Johanson for doing Black Widow, that it looks like a bad video game, and he doesn't want to do movies like that. First of all, he's already `done movies like that'. He was the bad guy in the first Blade movie. Second of all, he did the movie Jackals, which was a complete waste of my time watching and had a really shitty ending. I'm hard pressed to think of a Scarlett Johnason movie I have ever regretted watching.  (But I'm still less than thrilled that his FOX series Deputy got cancelled. It was a damn good show.)

Edited by GhostMachine

8 minutes ago, Bad News Jericode said:

Who the hell is Stephen Dorff?

How dare you not recognize him as his most famous role, "Himself", in the 2000 video for Limp Bizkit's "Rollin".

But for real, probably what I would imagine most people know him for is as Deacon Frost in Blade, like GhostMachine mentioned. I think he's pretty much always been a supporting actor more than anything else. 

Dorff was fantastic in True Detective season 3. Also very weird that he's talking about this unless there's some sort of context I'm missing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CLDY said:

How dare you not recognize him as his most famous role, "Himself", in the 2000 video for Limp Bizkit's "Rollin".

But for real, probably what I would imagine most people know him for is as Deacon Frost in Blade, like GhostMachine mentioned. I think he's pretty much always been a supporting actor more than anything else. 

He's not done a lot of major roles, and is definitely a supporting actor. Anything he's been the lead in, movie-wise, has mostly been direct to video or might as well be. Like I said, he was the lead in the FOX series Deputy, which was actually a very good show. And I've no idea why he's even talking about SJ and Black Widow, unless he's just making a pathetic attempt at seeming relevant.

Edited by GhostMachine

Dorff would take a role in a Marvel film without hesitation.  Dude has been in Bucky Larson: Former Child Star and Uwe Boll's Alone in the Dark, he's got plenty of his own shit to be embarrassed about.

On 30/06/2021 at 00:24, tristy said:

Me, personally? I'm fine if it goes "full Marvel", because I'm watching a Marvel movie. I'm not expecting Coppola-level stuff here.

I don't think "full Marvel" is necessarily an arbiter of the film's quality, just that the final act of a lot of Marvel films tend to end up exactly the same way - a big CGI fight scene with two people either throwing different coloured energy blobs at each other or fighting on top of a giant flying fortress, and it feels perfunctory. They're superhero movies, so they're always going to climax with a big action set piece, but they don't need to feel so generic. 

• Like 1

I mean, I sort of get that people might want something different, but every ending of a Marvel film seems to function to give their fans what they want and do it well? I'm thinking the fight scenes in Winter Soldier, Civil War and Black Panther were fucking amazing, and at the same IMO the big endings in stuff like Ant-Man and Far From Home are pretty different? 

5 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Black Widow was totally worth the weight. 

How much did you put on?

For some reason, I thought BW came out next week.  I know what I'm doing on Saturday

On 05/07/2021 at 22:02, Benjamin said:

I mean, I sort of get that people might want something different, but every ending of a Marvel film seems to function to give their fans what they want and do it well? I'm thinking the fight scenes in Winter Soldier, Civil War and Black Panther were fucking amazing, and at the same IMO the big endings in stuff like Ant-Man and Far From Home are pretty different? 

I think it's fair to say that, more often than not, those fights scenes are conflict at their most basic. 

Especially in the case of say Black Panther, for me, they do such a good job of making Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger three-dimensional and a villain you understand. All that good work feels a little undone in the third act as they clearly define him as a villain and some of that nuance goes. So for me, those big fight scenes can often come at a time where it feels like they've made a less interesting narrative choice. 

Wandavision spoilers.

Spoiler

It's worse in Wandavision. You have all these interesting conflicts set up through the series, this very moving and tender exploration of Wanda's grief - and then that's just kinda of swept away in favour of good vs. bad in CGI form. It's not the fight scenes that are the problem - that's not what I mean by full Marvel - I think I perceive it as when all the emotional stuff just gets relegated to the background in favour of a by-the-numbers fight. 

At this point, I'd say I love a bunch of the fight scenes in the Marvel films, I love so much of the Avengers stuff specifically. But I suppose that Avengers films tick different needs and boxes - they're about people teaming up to fight. Winter Soldier is a great example because it's a spy thriller, those fight scenes very much belong in the DNA of the film, plus you have the emotional core of Steve Rogers not wanting to fight and hurt his best friend.

It's great. The fights advance the drama instead of replacing it. 

• Like 4

Black Widow is good, but it should have come out after Civil War’s release. 

Spoiler

It’s hard to feel like the movie has any stakes when you know for sure that Nat is surviving everything. 

• Like 2

I agree, as a movie it's really good, but in the inter-connected world of the MCU it feels really out of place.

Movie spoilers

Spoiler

And it really doesn't do anything to further the MCU or fill in any blanks from what we knew before. That said, David Harbour is fantastic throughout, every scene he's in he steals. Florence Pugh is also really good, if a somewhat surprising choice for most of the funny lines. Rachel Weisz, also great, and naturally every chase scene and action set piece was standard Marvel magnificence.

On the opposite side, Ray Winstone was... a member of the cast. The less said about his Russian accent the better, he always felt once vocal break away from telling us Bet365's in play offers, and for us all to gamble responsibly.

I feel conflicted about the Taskmaster reveal, I understand the need to not always be the same as the comics, but I feel like Taskmaster is too much of a big comic character to be retconned in such a big way. Fair play to Olga Kurylenko for getting I assume a hefty paycheck for standing with the mask off and doing none of the fight scenes. unless she grew several inches and put on 50lbs of muscle in between takes.

Also the right-on-the-nose Game of Thrones reference would have felt much more relevant had the movie been released on time :(.

Credits spoilers:

Spoiler

It seems we now have a situation where the movie credit scenes are setting up the TV shows, which is kinda crazy. Given Hawkeye is hardly going to be the focus of his own movie trilogy it wouldn't be too shocking for Yelena to actually succeed in getting her target.

And of course, in the only 2 minutes she had, JLD was absolutely incredible.

• Haha 1

Without being blown away, I really enjoyed Black Widow. I wasn't expecting so much humour, and it mostly worked for me. The pricipal protagonists were all good to great, though a lot of the russian accents were atrocious. 

One thing about the post-credits scene I think means interesting possibilities for Loki (spoiler talk for BW & Loki within):

Spoiler

If we're getting an interconnected as the Black Widow film setting up a plot line in the Hawkeye TV show, I no longer think its a ridiculous longshot that the villain in Loki could turn out to be Kang / Immortus.  The main argument against it seemed to be that they wouldn't introduce a film villain in a tv show like this, but I think its no longer beyond the realms of possibility. 

10 hours ago, Maxx said:

Black Widow is good, but it should have come out after Civil War’s release. 

Hide contents

It’s hard to feel like the movie has any stakes when you know for sure that Nat is surviving everything. 

Spoiler

I'm not sure that is a fair criticism there is no way anyone went into any of the MCU solo films thinking the title character would die.

• Thanks 1