Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

18 hours ago, damshow said:

The 4 at the end is absolutely there to fuck with people and I applaud them for it.

What do you mean? They've already confirmed that it's the Fantastic Four movie. It's been on their official Twitter, the movie has its own Twitter account, and it's been on their website.

EDIT: Plus everything they announced at the Investor's Day thing last December is included in Phase 4. It's only appropriate that the phase ends with Fantastic Four.

Edited by tristy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tristy said:

What do you mean? They've already confirmed that it's the Fantastic Four movie. It's been on their official Twitter, the movie has its own Twitter account, and it's been on their website.

EDIT: Plus everything they announced at the Investor's Day thing last December is included in Phase 4. It's only appropriate that the phase ends with Fantastic Four.

I meant "Oh we're getting a release date and more details" and then just ends with reminding us. It does make sense to still be included in the video, I just found it funny they teased us into expecting a release date.

I've been seeing some rumors that Fantastic Four will be the movie that everything builds to in Phase 4. Which would make sense with the multi-verse and the inclusion of the Time Variance Authority and Kang.

I still think that we're getting some multi-verse shenanigans that will lead to the introduction of a lot of the old Fox characters. This should be fun.

I think if we see any of the Fox characters, it’ll be like Tobey and Andrew’s Spider-Man - they won’t be focal points of the MCU or anything, but they’ll stick around for a movie or two (or a show, whatever). Nobody should expect Hugh Jackman to be coming back full time as Wolverine, for example.

I honestly think it might just be better to start over with a new cast and preferably new characters that haven't been ran into the ground. Jackman as Wolverine would be nice, but I feel that Logan was the best X-Men continuity films they made and why really mess with that.

As for the actors for the rest of the X-Men from the new continuity, unless there's time and space being pushed around to make it convenient, it's going to be messy to bring them in with any logic. And then you still have to give them a spot in the world. After all, the films left off in the early 90s, that's 30 years to bridge, unless time wimey brings them in from that moment onwards... But even then, why bother inheriting that continuity when Marvel can construct a new one.

I think honestly, although it might not be the most exciting move, going with little used names at first might be the best way to start things out. The original group, for as memorable as they are, have been done to death, I for one am not interested in yet another Cyclops/Jean story to start it all off.

30 minutes ago, Bad News Jericode said:

I'd much rather a completely new cast bar Reynolds as Deadpool, it'll allow them to take the characters a new way and give Deadpool's character plenty of scope for meta comparisons.

At least in continuity you can easily handwave both Deadpool and Wolverine as being able to cross continuities without them forgetting. They both have their ridiculous healing factors going for them, and Wolverine already jumped a continuity once, and Deadpool (at least in comics) has been established as being so mentally out there that there's nothing that can mess with his memory.

I think we'll see a lot of groundwork in the upcoming movies for Fantastic Four, for sure. 

Eternals and Guardians Of The Galaxy could both easily provide set-up for something like Galactus or Silver Surfer, while any number of the Earth-bound films could slowly introduce Reed Richards & co or Latveria. 

The exciting part for me about introducing these franchises like Fantastic 4, Spider-Man and X-Men into the MCU is as much in the villains and concepts they can introduce as the central characters. As someone whose baseline for Marvel comics is very firmly set in the '90s, a lot of the Marvel movies felt to me like they were really let down by the villains involved. That the door can be open for Kingpin, Magneto, Galactus, the Venom symbiote, Sentinels, Dr Doom, and so on, to become part of MCU is quite exciting.

• Like 1

To clarify my earlier post, I am in no way saying that they should bring everything over from Fox. More just that those characters (not the actors, necessarily) could be introduced through multi-verse exploration. Maybe we get Reynolds' Deadpool and Michael Fassbender returns as Magneto, for example, but other characters are re-cast and brought in from other dimensions or universes.

I'm kind of expecting this to be the case, with Fantastic Four featuring time travel and a soft resetting of the established main universe. No hand-waves necessary to explain why one character is their Fox version and another isn't, or to explain why the Avengers didn't have any knowledge of mutants or the Fantastic Four. They were never part of the original universe, but something that happens in the build-up to Fantastic Four opens the doorways for people to move over.

I'm all for recasting the X-Men, bar Deadpool, and using new characters. We've seen enough films with the younger and older casts from the Fox films.

How they introduce them though will be interesting. Do we get mutants suddenly appearing? Or having kept themselves hidden for so long, or a combination of both, akin to Inhumans in Agents of Shield? With seemingly so much being introduced via the multiverse, Sony Spiderman characters etc, using that to introduce everything at once might well be a stretch.

I like the idea that mutants/mutation could be a ripple caused by Thanos' snap. That some of those brought back from being blipped had this underlying gene triggered by the Soul Stone, and you see the ramifications slowly play out over Earth.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 09:59, JoeyJoeJoeShabadoo said:

I'm all for recasting the X-Men, bar Deadpool, and using new characters. We've seen enough films with the younger and older casts from the Fox films.

How they introduce them though will be interesting. Do we get mutants suddenly appearing? Or having kept themselves hidden for so long, or a combination of both, akin to Inhumans in Agents of Shield? With seemingly so much being introduced via the multiverse, Sony Spiderman characters etc, using that to introduce everything at once might well be a stretch.

I like the idea that mutants/mutation could be a ripple caused by Thanos' snap. That some of those brought back from being blipped had this underlying gene triggered by the Soul Stone, and you see the ramifications slowly play out over Earth.

I think I rather have Inhumans be the ones that were affected by the Snap, rather than Mutants. The MCU is already filled with characters that were "given" their powers, but hardly any of them (if any, actually) are born with them. Plus it's an easy way to explain away someone like Ms. Marvel, unless they really want to introduce the Terrigen Mist concept into the MCU - and since Agents of SHIELD isn't canon, I guess, they'd have to explain it all over again.

I really don't understand the concept of cheering and going wild at a cinema showing, haha. 

I'll never forget how confused I was when Meltzer's evidence of how Roman Reigns wasn't a mainstream star was that when he went to see Hobbs & Shaw in the cinema, nobody cheered when Roman first appeared on screen.

If someone did that in the UK the amount of tutting and shushing would drown out the film itself.

Honestly, so many of my favorite moments of watching MCU movies in the last few years is because I'd just about always go to a theater on opening night where I know the crowd is going to be extremely invested and vocally reacting to stuff. I'll never forget the disbelief at the end of Infinity War, or the reaction at the Ant-Man and the Wasp post-credits scene where a whole room of people who had a good time at one of the sunniest, most feel-good Marvel movies suddenly got dragged back to that End of Infinity War headspace. For Endgame it actually did get to be a bit too much but otherwise I vastly prefer it for those movies than the times where I've seen them in a quieter room.

• Like 2