Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

The problem with anyone they cast is that we already have one, maybe even two portrayals of the major X-Men characters in the last twenty years. Regardless of what you think of the films themselves, the Jackman/Stewart/Janssen/Marsden/Grammar/Berry/McKellen iterations were able to stay more relevant than their younger replacements, they made the roles their own, and the "b-level" characters like Rogue, Iceman, Pyro etc. all were perfectly fine. It's going to be hard for anyone to come in and not be directly compared to them, and nostalgia usually wins out in these situations.

17 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

The problem with anyone they cast is that we already have one, maybe even two portrayals of the major X-Men characters in the last twenty years. Regardless of what you think of the films themselves, the Jackman/Stewart/Janssen/Marsden/Grammar/Berry/McKellen iterations were able to stay more relevant than their younger replacements, they made the roles their own, and the "b-level" characters like Rogue, Iceman, Pyro etc. all were perfectly fine. It's going to be hard for anyone to come in and not be directly compared to them, and nostalgia usually wins out in these situations.

They would’ve been better placed if First Class etc never existed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well holy shit

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm pretty upset. I know the Mulan experiment wasn't exactly successful, but Disney is out of their mind if they think Marvel fans wouldn't jump at the same deal as that movie had. I mean, yeah, $30 is a lot, on top of an existing Disney+ membership, but - and maybe I'm wrong here - I think Marvel fans are pretty fanatic. I know Disney fans are up there, but nobody really wanted a live-action Mulan remake. People REALLY want Black Widow, especially after Endgame.

Pushing the movie out another 8 months, though? That's insanity. Just tweak your formula you used for Mulan for fucks sake. Didn't Trolls World Tour or whatever do gangbusters when the pandemic first popped up and it was released on VOD? The market is there, but you can't be that greedy during a worldwide outbreak - but this is Disney we're talking about, so...

How well Mulan did depends on what source you look at but last week Yahoo Finance was reporting that it 1/3 of all US subscriptions purchased Mulan and that was something like $261M so far conservatively, and that was just US purchases. Everything I've read on Disney's side is that they have been very happy with what Mulan had done (now critic reviews are another thing).

That being said, I feel like if it was truly successful, they'd be prepared to run with Black Widow on the platform. I would've definitely purchased Black Widow or any MCU movie On Demand, so I'm pretty disappointed in this news.

3 minutes ago, St. Dubb said:

How well Mulan did depends on what source you look at but last week Yahoo Finance was reporting that it 1/3 of all US subscriptions purchased Mulan and that was something like $261M so far conservatively, and that was just US purchases. Everything I've read on Disney's side is that they have been very happy with what Mulan had done (now critic reviews are another thing).

I'm just going off what The Atlantic was reporting the other day:

The only problem is, Mulan didn’t actually make $261 million in 12 days. Yahoo had misinterpreted numbers from an analytics firm that estimated Mulan’s viewership, and the firm’s co-founder clarified that grosses were more likely $60 million to $90 million—well below the movie’s reported budget of $200 million. Not only does it seem that Mulan made modest sums in the United States (though Disney has yet to release official numbers), but the movie also had a disappointing theatrical rollout in China.

Ah, well that definitely makes more sense because if the Yahoo article had been accurate, I would've 100% thought Black Widow would be destined for Disney+ as well.

But I agree that Black Widow has a higher chance of being successful due to the fanbase and Mulan had a lot of backlash on it both politically from China and critically. 

I'm just going through some real MCU withdrawal right now....can they at least confirm some release dates for WandaVision and Falcon & The Winter Soldier...

The biggest problem with paying for Mulan was I could just wait a few months to just stream it within my existing subscription. It would be the same deal for Black Widow and without the ability to see it in a theater I don't need to see it day one or day one hundred. I think Disney realized this is the significant issue they'll run into. The draw of paying that much more a movie is being able to see it in a theater. I can't recreate that experience at home.

Maybe a compromise would be, say, $10 for a 48-hour rental or something, but I don't know if they want to let that genie out of the bottle because once you get people used to paying $10 they're not going higher.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

With movies and shit right, don’t the actual studios make most their money selling prints and only get a % of ticket sales if it’s a mega hit? $90mil is straight in to Disney’s pocket, but I dunno how it works tbh

Not sure where you're at, but here in the States, the theater gets a VERY low percentage of ticket sales.  Used to work with a guy who had run a "2nd run" theater, meaning they got movies months after their release.  He said for a $5 ticket, they'd only keep 50-75 cents, the rest went to the studio.

Its why the concessions like soda, popcorn etc...are so expensive.  The theater keeps 100% of that (well roughly, there is food cost etc..).  Because that is where they make their profit

I think the uncertainty over COVID throughout the winter plays a huge part; they could release and everything could shut down again with few days notice and then they'd be in a really tricky situation. To skip a cinematic release would be a shame for cinemas (in a time when they need support more than ever - although, there's definitely an argument that delaying is hurting them too, don't get me wrong) and for the filmmaking team. I know, realistically, it's all Disney profit driven, but I wanna see cinemas and theatrical releases protected, more than I want a film now on VOD.

• 2 weeks later...

Deadline is reporting that Cumberbatch will star in the next Spider-Man movie, taking up the "mentor" mantle that characters like Tony Stark and Nick Fury have played in the previous two.

He'll do Spider-Man then immediately go into filming the Multiverse of Madness.

Lots of interesting theories about all of this already. Combine this with the fact that Jamie Foxx is coming back as Electro, lots of rumors about Garfield and Macguire coming back, Evan Peters supposedly playing Mephisto in WandaVision...

• Like 1