Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

On 19/12/2021 at 01:34, IDOL said:

I feel like I need a cigarette after that... such an awesome ride.

Hide contents

Garfield got a small applause in the theatre I was in. When McGuire showed up it was a standing ovation. I love that shit at the theater.

Spoiler

My theatre audibly gasped and squealed a little bit when Garfield unmasked. Slight reaction for Maguire, but I think everyone was too busy grinning and by that point expected him to pop up, but you could feel the excitement. There was LOTS of natural laughter throughout the film. Oh, and no one clapped at the end, thank fuck. Was probably the best crowd I've shared a theatre with since seeing Endgame at 4am on release day but a totally different feel.

It's the first time they have combined the multiple Sony Spiderverses, Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel Netflix TV shows AND the Disney+ shows all in one place. That's pretty awesome and doesn't alienate any fans of say, Daredevil, or WandaVision, for example. I don't know if it's Feige, but whoever is responsible for giving fans what they want, needs to get their credit. Same for the writers (McKenna/Sommers).

The more I think about the film, the more I want one more Garfield Spider-Man film. Totally unnecessary, but I think it would be really fun to see him after his return to his universe and how events have affected him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeShabadoo said:

The more challenges that the MCU takes on and nails, the more bizarre it gets how Disney completely dropped the ball with the latest Star Wars trilogy in terms of planning, execution etc.

It doesn't help that Star Wars doesn't have someone overseeing everything like they do with Feige and Marvel. Kathleen Kennedy is no Feige. There was an article recently, I forget what website it was, but it said that directors and actors sign onto Marvel projects knowing that Feige has the final say-so over pretty much everything, whereas with Star Wars it seemed that Kathleen kind of just let JJ and Rian do what they wanted, which was terrible because JJ wanted to do one thing and he bookended the trilogy, and Rian wanted to go for something different and it was made basically pointless by the next movie.

There's a reason they approached Feige about starting to work on some Star Wars stuff. If he cares even half as much about that IP as he does Marvel, it'll work.

20 hours ago, tristy said:

It doesn't help that Star Wars doesn't have someone overseeing everything like they do with Feige and Marvel. Kathleen Kennedy is no Feige. There was an article recently, I forget what website it was, but it said that directors and actors sign onto Marvel projects knowing that Feige has the final say-so over pretty much everything, whereas with Star Wars it seemed that Kathleen kind of just let JJ and Rian do what they wanted, which was terrible because JJ wanted to do one thing and he bookended the trilogy, and Rian wanted to go for something different and it was made basically pointless by the next movie.

There's a reason they approached Feige about starting to work on some Star Wars stuff. If he cares even half as much about that IP as he does Marvel, it'll work.

Do we know what Colin Trevorrow's Ep 9 was going to be about? 

Just watched No Way Home today, too. First Marvel film I’ve seen since GotG (jeez I didnt realise it’d been that long) and god it was great. I really need to go back and watch all the Spidey films now.

I know this is a Marvel Cinematic Universe thread, but I hope the DC shows aren't about to rip off Marvel. Because at the end of the Armageddon 5-part event on THE FLASH, Joe West has a Time Stone thanks to a temporarily alive again Damien Darhk. (Long story, but timestream seriously altered by Reverse-Flash.)

Finally saw NWH:

Spoiler

Really, really awesome. I never saw Amazing Spider-Man 1&2 so the Lizard, Electro and Andrew Garfield parts weren't quite as significant as they could have been but I really enjoyed Garfield's parts. Definitely curious to check those movies out now, even though I understand they are fairly meh.

Funny how his Spider seemed to have this inferiority complex throughout the whole thing which is maybe just his character but it almost seemed like they were directly referring to the movies at times given how lost in the shuffle they are between people loving the MCU stuff and the first two Maguire movies. Also funny how in that little skirmish between Garfield and Maguire it was Maguire that came out on top, which again seems to speak to the wider appreciation levels of their turns as Spidey.

Tobey Maguire in general just seemed...very tired? Like, they obviously referenced him being older and there was the bit where he was limbering up and complaining about his bad back so maybe they were going for like a world weary thing where he's just run down from doing this for so long but it never fully came across like that to me.

Loved J.K Simmons being back at J.J. If anything I was hoping for more, I was really looking forward to the whole Alex Jones analogue thing they were hinting at in the mid credits of FFM which you obviously got here but I suppose if he was going to be margilised by anything, I'll accept the multi verse. Love how J.J even had his own version of Brain Force Plus to shill as well to really hammer home the Alex Jones thing.

But thinking back to FFM, I had no idea that JJ was coming back so when he popped up I was marking out and I would have loved if I could have done that for this one too with the whole multi verse thing. I never saw any of the trailers but I've still been hearing for years talks about Maguire/Garfield coming back and then general chatter about Doc Ock and Green Goblin in the trailers. It would been amazing to watch this and have Doc Ock show up out of nowhere.

• Like 1

I never really gave the ASM movies a fair shake, I think. I know I saw the first one and just kinda had it on as background noise, I can't even remember if I saw the 2nd. I think people on EWB didn't like it so I went "eh" and never bothered. 

Garfield is my least favorite live action Spider-Man. And that includes Nicholas Hammond, who played Spider-Man in the 70's.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but have had a few minor things (and one major) spoiled. I usually hate spoilers (some asshat spoiled THE FORCE AWAKENS when I was in a game, and I wanted to strangle him), but what I heard didn't bother me much.

I'm looking forward to MORBIUS as much as I am the next DOCTOR STRANGE. The only other Marvel movie I haven't seen yet besides NWH is THE ETERNALS. But what I've heard, I haven't missed much. I believe it comes out on Disney+ in a couple of weeks.

On 28/12/2021 at 18:21, The Redeemer CLDY said:

I never really gave the ASM movies a fair shake, I think. I know I saw the first one and just kinda had it on as background noise, I can't even remember if I saw the 2nd. I think people on EWB didn't like it so I went "eh" and never bothered. 

I remember like Garfield, but they're not great films. 

minor NWH spoiler

Spoiler

I thought the film was a pretty big reminder of how poor the ASM villains are in comparison to Raimi's. They're just nothing. 

Re: The ASM films, I thought Jamie Foxx did a fairly good job as Electro, acting-wise. The character just looked like crap. But Garfield was not a good choice for the lead. He's been good in other films (Damn good in Hacksaw Ridge!), though.

On 28/12/2021 at 14:13, King Ellis said:

Finally saw NWH:

Hide contents

Really, really awesome. I never saw Amazing Spider-Man 1&2 so the Lizard, Electro and Andrew Garfield parts weren't quite as significant as they could have been but I really enjoyed Garfield's parts. Definitely curious to check those movies out now, even though I understand they are fairly meh.

Funny how his Spider seemed to have this inferiority complex throughout the whole thing which is maybe just his character but it almost seemed like they were directly referring to the movies at times given how lost in the shuffle they are between people loving the MCU stuff and the first two Maguire movies. Also funny how in that little skirmish between Garfield and Maguire it was Maguire that came out on top, which again seems to speak to the wider appreciation levels of their turns as Spidey.

Tobey Maguire in general just seemed...very tired? Like, they obviously referenced him being older and there was the bit where he was limbering up and complaining about his bad back so maybe they were going for like a world weary thing where he's just run down from doing this for so long but it never fully came across like that to me.

Loved J.K Simmons being back at J.J. If anything I was hoping for more, I was really looking forward to the whole Alex Jones analogue thing they were hinting at in the mid credits of FFM which you obviously got here but I suppose if he was going to be margilised by anything, I'll accept the multi verse. Love how J.J even had his own version of Brain Force Plus to shill as well to really hammer home the Alex Jones thing.

But thinking back to FFM, I had no idea that JJ was coming back so when he popped up I was marking out and I would have loved if I could have done that for this one too with the whole multi verse thing. I never saw any of the trailers but I've still been hearing for years talks about Maguire/Garfield coming back and then general chatter about Doc Ock and Green Goblin in the trailers. It would been amazing to watch this and have Doc Ock show up out of nowhere.

Spoiler

Maguire's Parker seemed a bit dark and probably burnt out or desensitised to weird events. Even the way he talks about 'we made it work' with MJ, he is purposely vague. To me, it seems like he doesn't want to talk about his trauma, which is fair enough. He also alludes to having been stabbed before like it's nothing. It almost feels like if it wasn't other Peters he had encountered, he wouldn't care what's happening at all. It certainly makes them all feel quite different in their life journeys.