Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

Eternals was an odd one. For the first half, it felt waaay too long and very, very boring. Doing an exposition dump - (including actually just writing it out on screen!) - was a mistake, because we spend the next hour or so with them, except we don't have any attachment to them and we're also not learning anything about them. They could have excised Kit Harington entirely because he added nothing, and the references to other MCU properties clashed horribly with the tone of the film. I didn't have a problem with the flashbacks as a concept, except that it wasn't showing us anything interesting or that we didn't already know.

I actually quite started to like it when:

Spoiler

it's revealed that Icarus is aware that the Earth is going to be destroyed. I really liked him as that sort of Miracleman-esque superbeing who's totally detached from humanity with a completely different value system. The conflict between them was the kind of "gods among men" stuff that Marvel doesn't really do, and DC tries to do, except it worked here because they actually are (more or less) gods. The "letting everyone on Earth die so other suns can be born" only works as a conflict because the characters are so removed from humanity, so it was an interesting bit. Only gripes are that I wish they'd had the guts to have Icarus kill a couple of them, and that the Celestial breaking out of the earth seemed way smaller than it should have been.

Also, does it bug anyone else that everyone in the MCU seems to have seen all the MCU movies? Like, I get that the Avengers are obviously well-known, but how the hell does anyone know who Dr. Strange is?

Edited by Daniel Bryan
  • Like 1

Finally, finally, FINALLY saw Spider-Man NWH last night. COVID dashed our hopes twice before and, as a result, I thought all of the big surprises and such had been spoiled for me. (Mostly by just catching brief glimpses of entertainment headlines in passing, all about 48 hours after the movie was released. They really need to calm tf down with that shit.)

However, a couple of key things somehow did not get spoiled for me, and I feel they were likely the most important plot points. Even if everything had been spoiled for me, I still would have loved it. All the promotion and hype around it made it seem like it would just be a cool spectacle of casting stunts, but it turned out to be really well-told story with big, personal stakes that changed the narrative trajectory of the MCU, as well as the development of all the chief characters - especially Peter. One of Marvel’s best really.

Spoiler

The two things that hadn’t been spoiled were May’s death and that everyone ultimately forgets Peter entirely. Both were huge, hard-earned, and we’ll-told.

The scene in the cemetery had both my wife and I in tears. For me, it started with seeing her epitaph, then REALLY got going when Happy spoke. Jon Favreau can do the simplest things with so few lines that really ground a moment. So we’ll done.

Actually, I didn’t know Sandman would return either. I was really pleasantly surprised, as he was one element I actually really enjoyed in Raimi’s SM 3.

Both Defoe and Molina were so, so good and really improved the emotional stakes of the story.

I’ve never bothered with the Garfield films and still won’t, but Foxx, Ifans, and Garfield were all great additions that were used well.

I always loved the first two SM movies, so I was thrilled to get Maguire back, especially as they had him doing a sort of Old Man Spidey thing.

Seeing all three together on top of the school was a powerful scene. Maguire, Garfield, and the writing did do much great work to earn a way forward for Holland’s Peter.

And I’m definitely looking forward to Dr. Strange 2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Hide contents

The two things that hadn’t been spoiled were May’s death and that everyone ultimately forgets Peter entirely. Both were huge, hard-earned, and we’ll-told.

Spoiler

I think it says a lot about the media and perhaps MCU fans in general that the storyline spoilers are far, far less talked about than the "surprise" cameos. And I count myself as someone who thinks that way, because when I remember the film the two major things you mentioned are at best fourth and fifth in my favourite moments, behind the Cox, Maguire, Garfield appearances tied in first.

Just now, Your Mom said:

I'm actually a little upset at the reveal in the Doctor Strange trailer but I doubt they were going to keep that a secret anyway

There's still been no confirmation whatsoever that it is who people are speculating, though. I mean, the "secret" of NWH was an open secret that they never confirmed either, so this could go either way.

It is difficult when you have one of the most recognisable voices in cinema, and also one of the most recognisable bald heads on top of that.

It definitely feels like Wanda's being set up as the villain, but the whole thing is so batshit crazy that who knows what's going to happen.

Also, I don't know what the MCU has against public buses, but they seem to destroy one in every film these days.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2022 at 13:06, tristy said:

Evangeline Lilly is Canadian, actually.

Which she reaffirmed yesterday by sharing her thoughts on the Ottawa protests. They're what you probably think they are.

• Sad 2