Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

45 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

Have Marvel dropped one of those Phase plans yet?

I guess there’s so much going on after End Game and they don’t want to giveaway anything (as it’s only Sony promoting a movie post Endgame)

I think I saw Kevin Feige quoted as saying they were not revealing anything future movie related until post Far From Home.

Just saw it. I thought it was fine but somewhere on the lower end of the Marvel movie spectrum for me. Some really good ideas but something in the execution was lacking, I guess? Could also, to a certain degree, be Origin Fatigue. Anyway, glad others are liking it more than I did!

Spoiler

Also, casting Ben Mendolsohn in a blockbuster movie and having him turn out to not be the villain was a pretty brilliant typecasting swerve. I expected the Jude Law/Kree in general heel turn but not really the take on the Skrulls, which was a neat way of screwing with expectations. I also loved Yon-Rogg's final gambit getting completely shut down.

I think a lot of the '90s humor stuff was a reliable "hey, I remember this" laugh getter but it also felt a bit like a Buzzfeed list after a certain point. That being said, the audio log taking forever to open absolutely killed me.

• Like 3

Origin fatigue is definitely a thing now, but at least this movie didn't follow the typical route. I'll say this much: I want two things in the future after watching this - a sequel as soon as possible, because Brie as Carol is pretty fuckin' awesome, and I want a solo Nick Fury movie to explain how the guy in this movie turned into the guy we meet in Iron Man 1 up until now. Because my god those are two different characters entirely.

7 hours ago, Gabriel said:

If they lose Spider-Man at some point, I'd love to see them dive into the "Peter Parker got cloned and Jessica Drew is the female version of him" storyline from Ultimate Spider-Man

The rumour mill suggests that Sony? Someone else I cant recall...will be working on or have at least have tapped writers to do a 'Silk' movie at some point in the future which would be pretty cool.

Captain Marvel for me was a good, not great film.  Brie is AMAZING and a perfect fit for the character and I want to see her in MORE marvel films. I just didn't find the film itself as something to shout about, its certainly one of the best origin stories they've told though. I do think much like Black Panther, these films suffer when the hype is so geared towards the 'FIRST OF ITS KIND' narrative that the film gets judged less on its merits of a well told and well-shot story and more on the 'message' that it is sending or trying to send (which isn't a bad thing, diversity isn't so bad).

Thoroughly enjoyed it.  Goose was great, damn cat stole the movie

• Like 2

I really enjoyed it, may be a bit too much exposition at the start though, and I think I missed some dialogue whilst I was mouthing along to the soundtrack.

Credits scenes spoilers below

Spoiler

The mid-credits scene, which I assume is directly from End Game, gave me goosebumps. The only thing that frustrated me is how the mid-credits scene is far more important than the post-credits scene, despite the fact that you're sitting there like a lemon for five minutes waiting for the last one. It happened in Homecoming (Captain America literally trolling people for staying), AntWasp (drumming Ant) and now with Goose here. As someone behind me said "we've literally just sat here for five minutes to watch a cat throw up".

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

Heading towards a $153 million opening in the US and $455 million globally.  What an effective boycott by the incels.

I'm always amused that a minority of knobheads on Twitter seem to think they represent a chunk of public opinion. Read the right places and The Last Jedi is universally loathed, despite grossing a fucking shit ton and being ace. 

• Like 2

Captain Marvel was really good. The scene with the flashbacks to her standing up, that was used in the trailer, was epic as fuck. I didn't mind it as an origin story, but I did feel a few of the jokes didn't land as well as other MCU films had. Really cant wait for Endgame though.