2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

Oh, Kershaw/deGrom.  I haven’t watched in almost a month but that seems like something I’d need to see.  The Mets won’t score anything off of Kershaw but maybe they can match zeroes.

*Max Muncy hits a HR on the fourth pitch of the game*

Well that was fun while it lasted.

Chasen Shreve sucks. Any time Boone brings him in, he’s guaranteed to give up at least one run. Very first batter he faced today hits a walk off home run. I don’t know if he has nude photos of Boone or Cashman or what, but he needs to be sent down or just outright released. A man with no arms could do as well as he’s doing. 

3 hours ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Baseball Prospectus AL Playoff Odds, 6/25/18

Astros 99.9%
Yankees 99.8%
Red Sox 99.2%
Indians 98.5%

Imagine if the old playoff format was still in effect?  The AL playoffs would already be decided not even halfway through the season.

Instead, one of the Red Sox/Yankees will get screwed over in that stupid little one game series. A whole season of dominance and it could end on one bad game. Give me the season being decided today than having the Yanks get eliminated on a bullshit wildcard game against a team that'll likely finish 10-15 games behind them in the wildcard "standings". 

4 hours ago, Meacxico said:

Instead, one of the Red Sox/Yankees will get screwed over in that stupid little one game series. A whole season of dominance and it could end on one bad game. Give me the season being decided today than having the Yanks get eliminated on a bullshit wildcard game against a team that'll likely finish 10-15 games behind them in the wildcard "standings". 

Even a 3-game series would be bs. Baseball really needs to shave games off the regular season to give the postseason enough games to be a fair contest.

On 26/06/2018 at 15:06, MCDenmark said:

Donaldson suffered a setback while rehabbing. I'd be shocked to see him get traded with the number of third base options out there. I'd wager he gets QO'd at the end of the season. 

I would expect to see a Qualifying Offer. If the Jays can get him to sign for one more year, he can play 3B, 1B or DH next season and either bring up Vlad Jr or give Solarte a more permanent position at 3B... and if he has a good season, he can improve his trade stock for the Jays to earn a decent haul for him at next year's deadline, or at the very least, a more productive season next year will help him get bigger money in free agency than he would receive based on this campaign. I can't see anyone signing him in the off-season for anything near the qualifying offer, and the Jays can't afford to just let him walk for nothing, so they basically have to qualify him in the off-season, or try to work out a one year extension that works for both sides.

• Like 2

Outside of JD Martinez, are any of the "big name" free agents from this past winter having a good season? Hosmer's doing alright, but definitely not playing up to his pay. Jake Arrieta is very hit or miss. Yu Darvish is hurt and wasn't doing well when healthy. Lance Lynn has a WHIP over 1.50. All these players that thought they deserved mega-paydays are playing like the poo-poo.

I know a lot of people were pissy about how the off-season signings were going, but basing free agency off of analytics is looking like a smarter and smarter decision at this point.