2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

He claims he didn't do it and he only put in the guilty plea, because his lawyer scared his parents by saying if he pleaded not guilty and was found guilty, he'd have to spend a year in juvenile detention center.

But other people have pointed out that his lawyer put in a guilty plea awfully quick, when usually if someone is not guilty it takes a little while longer as they get the best deal possible, and not just hoping to get it over with. 

He's a very good pitcher. Likely 1st rounder if his past hadn't been brought to light last year. But I think a lot of teams are avoiding him, from what I've heard and read anyway. It's not by a lot, but MLB does tend to take this stuff more seriously, at least nowadays, than the NFL. 

Something like this in the NFL draft could cause a guy to slip from 4th overall to 15th overall. This kid may not get drafted at all, or at the very least, most likely later rounds where he's not given a signing bonus or guarantee of any kind.

I say that, now watch him get drafted in the first or second round. <_< 

So apparently Russell Martin is going to learn every position so that The Jays can never trade him. He's starting at Short Stop today. I will not be surprised to see him pitching soon.

• Like 1

I'd argue that 30 teams is fine, talent wise anyway.  The problem is in the fact some teams are poorly located, or managed, or run.

The Marlins are consistently a joke because their management has, for all but a couple years, been notoriously cheap and see the team as a profit machine rather than a sport where you try to win.  I feel bad for their 17 fans cause they went from one horrible ownership to another.

The Rays play in a crappy looking stadium, and their location in St. Petersburg is rather inconvenient to everything outside of Pinellas County.  I would wonder how much things would improve though if they got this proposed new ballpark in Ybor City (Tampa) - would they still be cheap like the Marlins, or would they have more fans and funds finally to invest in a better operation?

Montreal seems like it could sustain a franchise, if it had a better stadium.

If Montreal were to get a new stadium, would they do to them the same thing the NHL did to Winnipeg? Force them to sell a certain amount of tickets to show that they could sustain a team?

3 hours ago, Forever Forky said:

If Montreal were to get a new stadium, would they do to them the same thing the NHL did to Winnipeg? Force them to sell a certain amount of tickets to show that they could sustain a team?

I like that idea for expansion as well as relocation. Before anything gets approved show there are enough season ticket holders there to support the team.

Another deGrom start, another deGrom game wasted.  1.52 ERA and they've lost 6 of his 11 starts.

Just fucking trade him!  What's the point of having him if you can't win anyway?  The window is closed for this team.  They won't be good again until sometime after 2020 when they can get Cespedes, Bruce, and Wright among others off the books and by then hopefully they'll have some minor leaguers who are ready to contribute.  But keeping deGrom here when he can actually get you an enormous haul is pointless.

If they were smart, which we know they're not, they'd fire Sandy now and let his replacement handle this year's trade deadline rather than allowing a 70 year old man who has no future with this team decide who should still be here in 2019.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I can think of another New York team that could use him. :D 

The Yankees are a perfect fit for de Grom and Machado and neither the Mets nor Orioles will ever entertain a trade. Hilarious if you want the Yankees to not win it all, incredibly sad if you're a fan of either the Mets or O's and want them to replenish their farm systems.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 28/05/2018 at 18:01, Meacon said:

I can think of another New York team that could use him. :D 

Nah. I doubt if he has much basketball experience. Would be a bad move for the Knicks, really.