2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

23 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Yesterday Brandon Belt had the longest at-bat on record with 21 pitches thrown to him. That's impressive stuff, a credit to both the pitcher and the batter.

Why are we crediting the pitcher on this? If we're crediting the pitcher then he'd have been out in 3 or less. :P 

Ronald Acuna is getting called up.  So his and Torres' call ups were pretty much in line with recent years, teams nearly always wait three or so weeks into the season to call up their stud prospects.  I find it amusing when it happens because you'll always hear the GMs come up with every baseball-related excuse under the sun why the player could not be called up for Opening Day when we all actually know they're trying to dance around service time so the player doesn't accrue a full season this year.

It's obvious that's why it happens, but they can't say it and give the union ammunition to work.  I still fully expect the union to try to get the rules modified somehow during the next CBA, though I'm not sure how something like this could be worked around to appease both sides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Didi's so good you guys don't need to break the bank for Machado.

I'd be ok keeping Didi, passing on Machado, and throwing all the money at Harper or Kershaw instead. 

And then Gary Sanchez hits a walk-off three-run homer. Gotta love baseball. :D

Whaddya know?  Thor pitches a gem and Familia blows the save (and the game) in extras.  The Mets started 11-1 and have gone 4-7 since.

Defense and a lack of situational hitting has really killed them.  Even guys touted for their gloves like Frazier and Rosario have looked bad in the field.

Hopefully they can sort things out sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

I'd be ok keeping Didi, passing on Machado, and throwing all the money at Harper or Kershaw instead. 

And then Gary Sanchez hits a walk-off three-run homer. Gotta love baseball. :D

It works out for the Yankees either way, since they have one year of Didi left. They can either sell high and trade him to plug some holes, or keep him and sign him long-term for much less than Machado will cost. And then use that savings elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Stanton is my favorite Yankee at the moment. Too bad his contract isn't four years longer, and twice the money each year.

How about those Red Sox? :D

Glad you are thinking positive GM. Don't worry Stanton will come out of this slump and you're right it would be smart to lock him up for more years

• Like 3

Rumor making the rounds that Ichiro will be retiring at the end of the Mariners' current homestand, and he might be facing Ohtani in his final game.

I can't say I'm surprised.  After 2016 he was actually a pretty solid reserve outfielder and talking of playing until he was 50.  Last year he had a pretty loudy statline and collected a bunch of pinch hits but most of them were meaningless singles.  And this year he just looks to be absolutely shot.

Father Time catches up on us all.  But he had a hell of a career.