2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

3 minutes ago, Meacon said:
6 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Yeah, they're sending over one of the teams in baseball..... and another.

Lots of silly stuff going on that represents why I love baseball.

Here's the Astros shift against Joey Gallo. He grounded out to Correa. 

Shift

Here is Gleybar Torres throwing the ball to Matt Olson, a player not on his team.

gleyber

Also, a minor league game was delayed because there was a snake on the field.

Snake

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Lots of silly stuff going on that represents why I love baseball.

Also, a minor league game was delayed because there was a snake on the field.

Weird, I thought A-Rod had retired.

• Like 5

deGrom was activated off of the DL today and he had one of the strangest starts I've ever seen.

Walked the bases loaded in the first inning with no outs and 30 pitches thrown.  A million foul balls.  Force out at the plate, two strikeouts, and he escapes with 45 pitches thrown and no runs allowed.

Then he got pulled for precautionary reasons because that's a ridiculous number of pitches to throw with no break.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Robinson Cano slapped with an 80 game suspension for PEDs.

RIP to his HOF chances.

In all likelihood he was going to wind up just at around 3000 hits and a .295/.300 career batting average. Added in with around 375 HRs he was very likely a HOFer. This basically does him in, but worth noting it was for a diuretic and not a PED. The assumption is the diuretic was used to mask PED usage.

People will qualify/unqualify guys all the time. But this just adds to murky waters of letting suspensions and suspicion fuel HOF voting.

So Gabe Kapler inexplicably took Edubray Ramos out after he struck out 2 Orioles in the bottom of the 9th and brought in Hector Neris to get the last batter. Nothing happened, the Phillies won, but what a weird managerial decision.

Neris of course doesn't get the save because coming in with 2 outs in the 9th and not inheriting any runners is not a save situation.

Just realized that Nick Markakis is on virtually the exact same pace Johnny Damon was as far as potentially getting 3,000 hits.  Damon seemed like he was a lock to play til 40 and get it, but his production dropped in a big way at 38 and that ended his career.  Markakis is having a nice season right now, but free agency has changed so much even in the past decade I'm just not sure he'll be able to find a full-time starting gig long enough to get the necessary ABs to reach 3,000.

It would be kinda hilarious if he did get there though, because it would really test how firm the HOF committee is on 3,000 hits being an automatic HOF lock for non-PED tainted players.

Lagares is done
Lagares is don
Lagares is do
Lagares is d
Lagares is
Lagares i
Lagares
Lagare
Lagar
Laga
Lag
La
L
Le
Let
Lets 
Lets c
Lets ca
Lets cal
Lets call
Lets call u
Lets call up
Lets call up T
Lets call up Te
Lets call up Teb
Lets call up Tebo
Lets call up Tebow

On 18/05/2018 at 12:49, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

The Rays will start Sergio Romo this Saturday, then switch to their scheduled starter after the first few innings.

I don't mind this idea. It's how some teams approach playoff games, trying it in the regular season as a way to give starters an extra day off is certainly more viable than "random AAA call-up" I think.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

I don't mind this idea. It's how some teams approach playoff games, trying it in the regular season as a way to give starters an extra day off is certainly more viable than "random AAA call-up" I think.

He's actually starting (started? I don't know when they play) today too. 

Baseball players are weird. 

I think too many of them have had that "baseball is SUPER SERIOUS" mentality pounded into them from a young age that having fun or trying new things is automatically BAD FOR BASEBALL, which is stupid.

• Like 2