2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

2 hours ago, SeanTMan said:

Sounds like they need to work out another Bobby Bonilla special and send him on his way.

His contract already has $42 million in salary deferred through 2037!

On 08/06/2018 at 09:56, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Chris Davis is on pace to have the worst season of all time.  Literally.  FanGraphs and Baseball Reference have him at -1.7 WAR and -1.8 WAR respectively.  Seeing as it's only early June and not at the halfway point yet, that puts him on pace to surpass the -4.0 WAR seasons by Jim Levey of the 1933 Browns and Jerry Royster of the 1977 Braves.

Davis is still owed $68 million over the next four seasons and $42 million in deferments from 2023-2037.  Toss in that the financial commitment may be a big reason why they don't re-sign Manny Machado and that's looking like the worst contract of all time, too.

It was a bad contract when they did it, and many of us assumed for the last year or two of the deal this would be the kind of player he'd be. But my god he still has 4  1/2 years left! No way he plays the contract out, they'll have to stick with him during the rebuild and honestly that doesn't matter. The team is gonna suck anyway. But a DFA in 2021 wouldn't shock me.

I'm not surprised.  They had no chance of winning a game this series.  None.  I just laughed when I saw the final score.  I'm more than a week removed from watching them, which for me is a really long layoff.  I have no intention on ending that layoff anytime soon.

I wonder how Cespedes feels about coming back.

“I’m working very hard to get back and help the team get on the winning track,” Cespedes said through an interpreter. “For the way the team is playing right now, even if I’m doing very well, if the team remains playing this way, I don’t think it’s going to help, but I’m eager to get back.”

...oh.  Nice to hear positivity from the guy making $30 million a year.

He then left tonight's game with quad tightness.  Because of course he did.  David Wright hasn't played in over two years and has a major spinal condition yet he's still busting his ass every day to try to get cleared.  Cespedes however constantly pulls himself out of games citing hamstring and quad soreness and doesn't ever show the slightest bit of urgency in coming back.  He's got so many leg injuries I wouldn't be surprised if he's really 45 instead of 32.  Dude is literally never not going to have soreness, so at this point he either needs to suck it up and play through it, or fuck off.

12 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

The Orioles lost yesterday on a 4-pitch bases loaded walk.

It's an endless nightmare, unless we're playing the Mets apparently.

The Orioles should play Toronto exclusively. Then maybe the Jays would have a chance.

• Like 1

I feel like I'm missing the context here.  And it sure sounds like fantasy sports talk.  But that can't be it BECAUSE MEACON DOESN'T DO FANTASY

How many times is DeGrom going to leave a game having given up one run, and not get a win?  This is ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Maxx said:

How many times is DeGroom going to leave a game having given up one run, and not get a win?  This is ridiculous.

Chris Sale is in the same boat. The guy has lost like three games this year where he gave up one or two runs, but got absolutely no run support. 

The Mets really do need to just send us deGrom already, though. We desperately need pitching help, and the Mets obviously don't need him with the rest of the team the way it is. 

What you want, @Buschoru Suzuki? You want a Clint Frazier? You want an Estevan Florial? You want a Justus Sheffield? I want deGrom. You guys having him is like owning a Corvette while living in a tent. 

• Like 1