2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

@Meacon, a Jays podcast I was listening to this morning was talking about a Happ (+ some, maybe a reliever or whatever) for Frazier trade. 

Do you think they would ever do that deal?

Obviously the Yanks will want the best pitcher they can get with the potential of having some control but Happ could be one of the better pitchers available on the market at the deadline. Add in that he has experience pitching well in the AL East and the playoffs, it's not as wild as I thought it was when they first suggested it. 

He’s not one of the regular names I’ve heard brought up. But that probably means it’s more likely.

😛

I just honestly can’t imagine them trading a prospect they really like within division. But we desperately need starting pitching so I wouldn’t rule it out.

I imagine it wouldn't just be Happ. Might need a reliever or another piece thrown in. 

It just feels like Frazier is the piece they are gonna use to get whatever piece they are missing. 

I'm also in the stage of the season where I am super excited about who the Jays get for their chips. Getting ready for all the prospects that will inevitably break my heart!

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

The Mets really do need to just send us deGrom already, though. We desperately need pitching help, and the Mets obviously don't need him with the rest of the team the way it is. 

What you want, @Buschoru Suzuki? You want a Clint Frazier? You want an Estevan Florial? You want a Justus Sheffield? I want deGrom. You guys having him is like owning a Corvette while living in a tent. 

Tell me about it :( I'd be fine trading him to the Yanks so I can keep watching him and hopefully see him win a ring.  I would think those three and Andujar would all be discussed.  Quite honestly the Mets could probably ask for all four and not be overstepping given that deGrom has two more years under contract.

Said this a few weeks back but my inclination is the Mets would ask for fewer players back but demand Gleyber.  That's the extent to which they value deGrom/are hesitant to ever trade with the Yanks.  There's zero chance that happens.  In such a hypothetical the Mets would probably just throw in Asdrubal Cabrera since he's in his walk year and he'd be a guy the Yanks could plug in at 2B for the remainder of the season and not have a black hole at that spot.  But giving up on a lineup anchor like that would be crazy.

Still, that's probably what it would take.  Even then the Wilpons might veto it because they are terrible.

Yeah, Gleyber is not going anywhere for a very long time. And I honestly would be shocked if they moved Andujar with the year he's having. Both guys are just going above and beyond what we could have expected as rookies. Their success is a big reason why I think we're more likely to go a J.A. Happ route instead of someone like deGrom. The demand would be too high and I don't think Cashman feels necessary to give up a big haul to help up get over a little bump. 

Clint Frazier is most likely going to be involved in whatever deal goes down. I really like the kid, but he's easily the odd man out in the pecking order, since he can't play infield like a Tyler Austin or Tyler Wade (who both can play infield and outfield). There's just nowhere for Frazier to go, but out of town sadly. 

Jon Paul Heyman says there is no chance the Yanks would send either Gleyber or Andujar there, but I'd expect the Mets to at least push for one of them.  It's all moot though because blockbuster trades never happen between those teams.  Probably the biggest trade between them was David Justice for Robin Ventura.

But really, this franchise is cursed no matter who is here.  I get the sense that if the Mets threw Amed Rosario into the deGrom package to help be more of a direct swap for Gleyber, Rosario would immediately transform into a stud while Gleyber would hit about .220 the rest of the year.

As much as it sucks for my teams to be losing (Jays and Calgary Flames), I get almost more excited about the trades, prospects coming back, new faces being brought in, culture change and all that... than I do about my teams performing well. Maybe it's just that I love the business of sports so much.

Donaldson and Happ are both gone this year. Hopefully they can swindle someone into taking Morales too. Donaldson moving out would probably give us our first look at Vlad Jr at 3B in the majors too... which would be hella-exciting.

• Like 1

Andujar to be traded is a long shot. Gleyber I guarantee isn't going anywhere. He's consistently been our best hitter (well, him and Judge) all year. 150 at-bats and already has 12 homers and a .350+ OBP. Anyone that thinks he could be put into a package is kidding themselves at this point. He's legit. And he's going to be our second basemen for a long time. Andujar is much more likely, and even that would completely floor me as he's proven that he could very much be our starting third baseman for a long time, as he's been the third most consistent hitter and much better in the field than anyone previously expected. 

It's going to be guys still floating in the minors that get packaged together. That'll likely mean no deGrom or Bumgarner, but the team hitting/fielding wise is too perfect to mess up.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-bleier-20180613-story.html

Oh great, another O's trade chip goes down.

At this point we'll be selling low on everyone as we careen to the worst season since the '62 Mets.

Also, a bar in the city is giving everyone free shots when Chris Davis gets a hit.

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-bleier-20180613-story.html

Oh great, another O's trade chip goes down.

At this point we'll be selling low on everyone as we careen to the worst season since the '62 Mets.

Also, a bar in the city is giving everyone free shots when Chris Davis gets a hit.

On the bright side. Today's an offday, So we can't add to the loss tally 

• Like 1

I fully expect the Mets to finish behind the Marlins at this point.  They're making roster moves consistent with a team that is trying to tank.  Like they claimed Chris Beck off of waivers from the White Sox.  Beck had a 6.04 FIP and was being waived by the third worst team in baseball, yet the Mets scooped him right up and put him on the active roster.  In order to make roster room for Beck, they optioned down Tim Peterson who was one of the only relievers on the team who was pitching well.  I can't imagine why any team would do this unless they are actively trying to lose games.

They have 21 home runs in their last 19 games, but 17 have been solo home runs.  As stated, that is the only way they ever score because everybody swings for the fences every at-bat.  I'm about to start my third week of not watching.

On 14/06/2018 at 16:01, Gabriel said:

As much as it sucks for my teams to be losing (Jays and Calgary Flames), I get almost more excited about the trades, prospects coming back, new faces being brought in, culture change and all that... than I do about my teams performing well. Maybe it's just that I love the business of sports so much.

Donaldson and Happ are both gone this year. Hopefully they can swindle someone into taking Morales too. Donaldson moving out would probably give us our first look at Vlad Jr at 3B in the majors too... which would be hella-exciting.

I can't see them bringing up Vlad until the middle of next season. They could also find something for Estrada I'd imagine, plus maybe some of the relievers (Clippard, Axford, etc.)

The Jays get swept by the Yankees, then sweep the Orioles, then got swept by the Rays, then sweep the Nats. Baseball is weird. 

I could be wrong, but I think any chance of Vlad Jr. coming up this year went out the window with him getting hurt a couple weeks ago. They'll probably wrap him up in bubble wrap the rest of this season and let him compete for the starting job next spring. 

• Like 1

I love the fact that Juan Soto technically homered before his MLB debut. What a weird and fun story. I'm sure you can find the story somewhere but heres the jist

The Nats and Yankees were rained out on May 15 so they had to finish the game on a different day. The Nats called up Soto on May 20th. Soto hit 4 HRs between then and last night when they made up the game. Soto came in as a pinch hitter and hit a HR in the make up game. This counts as having happened on May 15th. So technically  Soto hit his 5th HR 5 days before he was even in the majors :lol:

• Like 6