2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

35 minutes ago, Meacon said:

They're considering playing him at third base which is odd, because I'm sure there's a one-armed man out there somewhere that could play better at third than Joey Bats. 

From what I've read it's mainly because they have a third basemen in the minors that is probably only one year away from being ready so this is just a band-aid until then.

26 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Yeah the way I interpreted it they just need someone to keep that seat warm.

Also, Ryan Flaherty is somehow leading the NL in batting average. The same Ryan Flaherty who hit around .220 as an Oriole.

So it's not just pitchers that go on to bigger and better things once leaving Baltimore...

58 minutes ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

The Reds have fired Bryan Price after a 3-15 start.

I guess their subreddit can go back to being about baseball instead of communism now.

Time for my monthly Matt Harvey rant.  Last night may have been the final start of Matt Harvey's Met career, or at least it should be.  My guess is they'll give him one more start because Jason Vargas is due back the next turn after that, but it's impossible to justify putting him out there every fifth day.  He has no life on his pitches whatsoever, every hit he gives up is a rocket.  After Mickey Callaway told the press that he won't commit to another start (something Terry Collins never would have done), Harvey stood at his locker and defiantly said he was a starting pitcher, citing the fact that he threw six innings for the first time since last May and retired 11 of his last 12 batters.  That's great Matt, too bad you had already given up six runs and were pitching in a complete non-pressure situation by that point.

Harvey hasn't been a good pitcher since he walked off the mound in the 9th inning of Game 5 of the 2015 World Series.  He needs to decide what he'd rather do - try being a reliever in the big leagues and getting a second lease on his career, or accept a minor league assignment in hopes of keeping his career as a starter in tact.  That's it.  If he moans and throws a hissyfit over these options, just cut him a check for the rest of his salary and send him on his way.  He is in no position to make any demands of this team, and quite frankly he'll be lucky if he's not out of baseball in 2019.

50 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Gleyber Torres was pinch-hit for in the 6th inning and it's being reported he joins the Yankees tomorrow. So that was a fun era when teams other than the Yankees and Red Sox had a shot in the AL East. Look forward to the next one in 10 years.

Andujar is starting to hit AND we get Gleyber now too? I loves it.

• Sad 1

What the fuck is the point of having an ace like Jacob deGrom on your team if you can never win when he starts?  They were up 6-1 in the eighth inning on the Nats on Monday, and the bullpen blew it and completely wasted his start.  Tonight, he hands over a 3-0 lead against the Braves in the eighth and the bullpen coughs it up again.  Two horrendous division losses in consecutive deGrom starts where he pitched a gem.

Look, I realize that the Mets will lose at least 60 games a year every year for the rest of my life, and that 14-6 is still a better start than I could've hoped for.  I get that.  But the Braves have so many really good young players and may be legit, the Phillies are showing promise, and we all know the Nats are going to wake up.  Losses like these are most certainly going to come back to bite down the stretch.