2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

An emotional day for me saying goodbye to a loved one, but baseball brought me back to some semblance of normalcy.  I was able to catch the SNY replay and ignored the ticker at the bottom of the screen, so I basically watched it as though it were live.  Fun way to start the season, and I enjoyed the tributes to Rusty Staub who passed this morning.

The Mets started off their history 0-8 on Opening Day and have gone 37-12 on Opening Day since then.  Just a mind-boggling statistic.

• Like 2

Watched Angels vs. Athletics. Tuned in just before the Khris Davis 3-Run Homer followed up by the Matt Olson Home run....and managed to go to bed just before they won in the 11th. >_>

Fun game though.

Nick Markakis hit the first walk-off home run of his career yesterday to finish a five-run comeback for Atlanta.  Braves win 8-5 after being down 5-0 as late as the 6th.

I reallllly want the Braves to be that plucky young team that does just enough to get hopes up.  That'd be considered a good season for me.

I think we really need to start limiting the amount of pitching that Sanchez throws. Especially early in the season after the year he had last year. He was doing decent tonight till he started going over 80 pitches.

26 minutes ago, Forever Forky said:

I think we really need to start limiting the amount of pitching that Sanchez throws. Especially early in the season after the year he had last year. He was doing decent tonight till he started going over 80 pitches.

To be fair, look at that lineup he’s facing!

38 minutes ago, Meacon said:

To be fair, look at that lineup he’s facing!

It's true. I don't think he did too bad through most of his game. He just ran out of gas. I thought the Jays were going to make something of it at the end of it but they just can't get any offence it seems.

Their pitching, in general, is good enough to contend. They could really use a 2/3 starter to bolster the rotation... but I feel like the major factor against them is the offense. Ross Atkins has clearly underestimated the need to have power in the AL East. We have guys who can hit 20 homers a year, for sure, but there is no pitching staff in the league who is going to look at our lineup and wonder what they're going to do. It's not like it was a couple of years ago when they couldn't afford to walk Bautista because Edwin was on deck behind him. Even our best hitters don't measure up in the intimidation department to what the Jays would field then. It doesn't help that we have so many less power bats now.

It would be less of an issue if we had guys who could get on base, but through two games (admittedly it's still too early to panic), I'm just not seeing that. If you can't get runners on base, there's no one to drive in, and it doesn't matter how good the pitching may be. It's eerily similar to the problems that my Calgary Flames faced this year. When the goaltending was hot, they couldn't score to support it, and they fell out of the playoff race. The Jays will have to find a way to get on base, and if they can't, the front office is going to have to support them by making moves to bring in guys who can get on base.

I find that everyone wants to hit that long ball on the Jays team. While that can be fun, if you're just hitting solo home runs, it's going to take a lot of those to actually mean something. Some of these guys like Pillar and Martin who have the ability to hit the long ball but do it so inconsistently need to shorten up their swings and just look for those extra bases. I know it's easier said than done but not impossible. Save those power swings for guys like Donaldson.

Well that was a much better game for us. Pillar stealing three bases for that insurance run is just awesome. Hopefully we can pull off another victory tomorrow so that we can stay even with those Yank bastards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Figures. I’m stuck at work and we lose. Luckily I’ll be home to watch tomorrow’s game. We’re undefeated this year when I watch!

In comparison, I didn't watch the game until the last two innings and we won. So I'll skip tomorrows game and we should be good.

Two games into the season and Mickey Callaway's already shown a much more outside the box approach to bullpen management than Terry Collins.  He had Swarzak and Familia throw 30 pitches each, effectively making them unavailable tomorrow.

Sounds like a batshit crazy thing to do so early in the season, but I think that might actually be his style.  He'd rather get his money's worth and burn a guy out for the next day than get into the habit of running five or six relievers out there every game.