2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

7 hours ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Mike Moustakas back to the Royals.  Carlos Gonzalez back to the Rockies.  One year deals for each.

The union has to be trying to get rid of compensation picks in the next CBA.  Nobody wanted to give up their second round draft pick for either of those guys.

CarGo turned down a 5 year deal last spring.

But I agree, compensation picks are going away. Teams no longer want to build through free agency, they want to draft players, develop them, and win with them during their cheapest years. The whole system needs some fixing.

In CarGo's defense though, I can understand why he turned the deal down last year.  He was coming off of a really good season and entering his age 31 season which, if he were to repeat his numbers from the previous year, would've given him his last big payday.  It just didn't work out.

I'm fine with teams receiving a compensation pick for losing a free agent who turned down a qualifying offer.  But I don't think the team that signs the player should lose anything and be punished for trying to improve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

Yeah I agree the team that lost the player deserves a comp pick and the signing team shouldn’t lost theirs.

I remember when Alex Anthopolous first came to the Jays, he would just constantly try and get guys who would be Type B free agents. When they signed with another team in the off season, the Jays would get a supplemental round draft pick but the signing team didn't lose a pick. 

I think Philly is gonna be better than people think. Assuming their offense produces the way they’ve shown they’re capable of. The NL East is gonna be interesting. We know what the Nationals can do, but with a healthy Mets, an improving Phillies, and a talented though very green Atlanta, it should be much more competitive than it has been recently.

I wish I could figure out what channel the the Braves play on for my satellite. I figured it would be Peachtree but apparently not. I cheered for the Braves throughout the mid-late 90's before I got out of baseball for awhile.

22 minutes ago, Forever Forky said:

I wish I could figure out what channel the the Braves play on for my satellite. I figured it would be Peachtree but apparently not. I cheered for the Braves throughout the mid-late 90's before I got out of baseball for awhile.

It was a lot easier when they were always on Channel 17, WTBS the SuperStation!

• Like 1