Sign in to follow this  
zero

Nintendo Megathread

I didn't play the first Mario Maker. This one looks interesting, though. Can anyone who did play it tell me how easy it was to find good levels online? With these kinds of games, I find that highly rated levels tend to skew heavily towards ones which are ridiculously hard, rather than well designed. It was encouraging to see in the video that creators can set difficulty levels.

Even if the in game selector isn't great, you can search specifically by code and there'll be amazing reddit and YouTube communities to lay out masterful levels that you can just quickly add in, play or save until later. The community in general is actually pretty good - and people have made some amazing things. With all the new programattic things like on/off switches and stuff, they're going to be going absolutely crazy this time around.

Yeah I'm crazy excited for Mario Maker, but I'll probably leave it a month or two to pick it up, just to give people who aren't total idiots like me time to make some ridiculous stuff.

• Like 1

I'm interested in it because of the Story Mode. I'm not that creative, at least nowhere near as much as what some people have done in the first game. Do you need to have Nintendo Online to play the downloadable levels?

6 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'm interested in it because of the Story Mode. I'm not that creative, at least nowhere near as much as what some people have done in the first game. Do you need to have Nintendo Online to play the downloadable levels?

I'm almost certain you do.

But then you should already have it because Tetris 99 is the game of the decade.

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

But then you should already have it because Tetris 99 is the game of the decade.

I started playing Tetris 99 solely to get the classic theme that'll be available through the third Maximus Cup tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I didn't play the first Mario Maker. This one looks interesting, though. Can anyone who did play it tell me how easy it was to find good levels online? With these kinds of games, I find that highly rated levels tend to skew heavily towards ones which are ridiculously hard, rather than well designed. It was encouraging to see in the video that creators can set difficulty levels.

If I recall correctly, it was fine. When I first picked it up, you could play levels online that were not curated in the sense of Nintendo picking them, but rather curated based upon completion rate. You could decide to do super easy levels (for discussion purposes, say 50-100% of users completed the level) to medium levels (lets say 49% to 15% of users completing the level) to extra hard (less than 15% of users complete levels). It was serviceable. 

5 hours ago, Ollie said:

Just watched the online portion of the Direct, and yeah, in fine print it says you need online. But there is apparently a special edition that comes with 12 months.

For an extra ten dollars I think so yeah - the online isn't expensive as it is for a year, and they've given out a free year of it to Twitch/Amazon Prime members as is.

Ten dollars for an extra year of Nintendo Online is a hell of a deal. I'll probably get that version just so I'll have renewed for cheap.

Yeah I haven’t been too bothered paying $3 a month, because it’s only $3, but it’s tough to turn down a years worth for only $10.

Anyone else been looking into those vouchers they announced as well?

It's tempting because even up here in Canada if I buy them at $132 dollars - that ends up saving me pretty much half off the second game. So if I buy the vouchers and then use one to pre-order Mario Maker 2 and the other to pre-order Fire Emblem: Three Houses when it goes up... I'm basically getting a buy one, get one 1/2 off deal.

14 minutes ago, apsham said:

Anyone else been looking into those vouchers they announced as well?

It's tempting because even up here in Canada if I buy them at $132 dollars - that ends up saving me pretty much half off the second game. So if I buy the vouchers and then use one to pre-order Mario Maker 2 and the other to pre-order Fire Emblem: Three Houses when it goes up... I'm basically getting a buy one, get one 1/2 off deal.

Are the vouchers attached to your account? 

4 minutes ago, RPS said:

Are the vouchers attached to your account? 

There's an FAQ on the site that asks if you can gift to a friend and it notes;

No. Vouchers can only be redeemed using the same Nintendo Account that purchased them.

TBH my #1 reason I would want to get Super Mario Maker is if I could use it to make fanfiction where Mario is a noir detective.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

TBH my #1 reason I would want to get Super Mario Maker is if I could use it to make fanfiction where Mario is a noir detective.

Then who's the chain-smoking sexpot? Besides Waluigi...

Are there any games that NEED a new 3Ds over the New 2DS? New 2DS is cheaper and 3D is a gimmick I've never cared for.

I think Super Mario 3D Land has some levels that are easier or more striking in 3D, but I don't think there are any major games that require 3D at all. As far as playing games goes, the 2DS has all you need.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I think Super Mario 3D Land has some levels that are easier or more striking in 3D, but I don't think there are any major games that require 3D at all. As far as playing games goes, the 2DS has all you need.

What he said, no games that require the functionality of a New 3DS over a New 2DS. Some 3DS games do require the N2DS/3DS hardware in general, but not the 3D functionality.

Looking at picking up a Switch for my first Nintendo console since Super Nintendo so I'm completely out of the loop on what to get. I know Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros are amazing multi-player games and that it has a few RPG's that I'm interested in but other than that I'm lost. Any tips/suggestions/things I should know? 

Super Mario Odyssey is a must. Breath of the Wild is a game a lot of people really like too, and I got more out of it than I have from any other Zelda game. I'd also recommend Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which was one of the most surprisingly good games in recent years. Certain multiplatform games, like Stardew Valley and Wargroove, are ideal for the handheld format too.

Breath of the Wild is a good pickup for most people. I definitely recommend getting the online subscription, even if just for Tetris 99... I found that South Park: The Stick of Truth played very well, if you never got that on a different console. Mario Odyssey was great too. Definitely grab that. We play a lot of Mario Kart and Mario Party in my house.

Bomberman is a ton of fun too, though I've noticed that it's ridiculously hard to find a physical copy of.

Also, look through the eShop. Turok 64 is available... there's a new Trials game, which are always fun too. Oh, and Super Mario Maker 2 comes out soon... same with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Those will be worth grabbing for sure.

If they go through with the rumored “new” Nintendo Switch and Switch pro models I’m going to be pretty frustrated. Especially if certain games end up requiring the pro model like they did with the n3DS. It’s a slap in the face to people who bought the Switch at launch.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if I should hold off on purchasing a regular Switch in favor of the Switch Pro or whatever it's going to be called. That's rather annoying and has put a damper on the excitement of a new console 😕😕

Last I heard it was more likely that there was going to be a budget Switch instead of a Switch Pro.