The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

On 10/29/2017 at 16:17, The Chiksrara Special said:

Do the costumes actually do anything? Like the only one I know of so far is wearing the poncho and sombrero to get into the club or whateer

they let you cosplay as smooth sailin' ashley remington and that's literally the only thing that matters.

DNcswT4V4AAT6Ro.jpg

• Like 4

I don't know what Nintendo Platinum Points are or do but here's a code for some:  PSTC34T4RJL3YKMN

1. Sign in to your Nintendo Account at https://my.nintendo.com
2. Click "Menu" in the upper-left corner, then click "Redeem a point code." 
3. Enter the 16-digit point code from your e-mail, then click "Submit." 
4. Each My Nintendo point code can only be redeemed one time. 
5. The My Nintendo points will be added to your Points total (in the top-right corner 
of the screen).

So, I got my Switch today. Good stuff. Honestly a little smaller than I anticipated, but I guess it's portable so it wasn't going to be too big. Super Mario Odyssey is great, a little bit of a pain in the ass in some bits, but I guess that's a good thing because it'd suck if it was too easy. There's something great about Mario games in particular, I feel like the atmosphere and the environments just seem a bit more grand, more than in other games. Mario Kart 8 is just...  Mario Kart 8, again, really. Bit lame that everything was unlocked from the start, though, because unlocking everyone is half the fun. Wouldn't have minded a feature that gave you the option to unlock all the characters/courses at once, like in the WWE games. The lack of unlockables in the game makes me feel like it would only be a good purchase for someone who already had MK8 on Wii U (I was one of those), because maybe someone who wasn't an avid Mario Kart player would not play it for too long if they didn't have anything to unlock/achieve. They could've at least made the brand new characters unlockable. Ah well. Already looking at new games to buy because I fear I might accidentally finish Odyssey far too soon :P

28 minutes ago, Owen said:

Already looking at new games to buy because I fear I might accidentally finish Odyssey far too soon :P

Unfortunately there isn't exactly a massive range around atm. BotW is an obvious one. Splatoon 2 if you played and enjoyed the one on WiiU. Sonic Mania is preefun too.
Right now I'm deciding between getting Binding of Isaac this week or wait and get Sonic Forces when that comes out shortly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

Unfortunately there isn't exactly a massive range around atm. BotW is an obvious one. Splatoon 2 if you played and enjoyed the one on WiiU. Sonic Mania is preefun too.
Right now I'm deciding between getting Binding of Isaac this week or wait and get Sonic Forces when that comes out shortly.

I might get Sonic Forces if it gets good reviews, but I don't know much about it. I've never really been a fan of the 2D side scrolling Sonics, so if it's like that, I'm not too interested. Never played Splatoon, but looks like fun, not massive on Zelda, either, but I also feel that I probably haven't given the games a particularly fair shake... so that might be the next one I pick up, because I got the Switch mainly for the exclusives.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Owen said:

I might get Sonic Forces if it gets good reviews, but I don't know much about it. I've never really been a fan of the 2D side scrolling Sonics, so if it's like that, I'm not too interested. Never played Splatoon, but looks like fun, not massive on Zelda, either, but I also feel that I probably haven't given the games a particularly fair shake... so that might be the next one I pick up, because I got the Switch mainly for the exclusives.

Sonic Forces looks to be like a sequel to Generations with that style of worlds where it's 3D and 2D crossover.. Sonic Mania is definitely side scroller. I understand the Zelda feelings, I've never been a big fan of the series but my son seems to enjoy the games somewhat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rocky said:

I'm a huge Binding of Isaac fan and recommend it. I've played hundreds of hours of the game.

• Like 1

Odyssey is so much fun. I'm still only early on, but it's just a gorgeous game and full of charm. So much attention to detail, which Nintendo are just the kings of.

My only real criticisms of the Switch at this point are that I'm still having JoyCon connectivity issues with the left JoyCon when playing on the TV (may be to do with placement of the console in relation to where I'm sitting, but I don't have much choice in that matter), and that the prices for some of the eShop games are ridiculously high. You're paying £20-£30 for some games that you could barely justify spending £10-£15 for on PC on PS4, so I'm finding myself far less likely to take a punt on any new games.

That said, has anyone given Golf Story a go? I'm reluctant, because I don't know how much time I'll spend on a game like that on Switch - I've barely touched Stardew Valley - but the concept is so daft that it really appeals to me.

• Like 1

Unable to play my Switch on my monitor until this ground loop noise isolator thing I ordered arrived, as the audio is unbearable otherwise... ah well, shouldn't be more than a couple days. Mario + Rabbids arrived today so I've just got that started :)

I finished the main story of Super Mario Odyssey yesterday. I wouldn't hesitate to call it my favourite 3D platformer ever. The accessibility and the level of curiosity the whole game allows and actively encourages are fantastic, and there were rarely points at which I felt frustrated in any way. I'm really glad Nintendo did away with the lives system, which, in today's world, is an archaic system that serves to add tedium.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Speaking of the lives system there is a part I've been having trouble with. Anyone know what happens if you run out of coins?

I've just looked it up, and the answer is that nothing happens. There are no "Game Over" situations.

• Like 2