Sign in to follow this  
zero

Nintendo Megathread

I got a good deal on Mario Maker, so I picked it up on a whim. I've tried a bit of the story mode, which has been quite fun, although it does remind me of how I'm not very good at all at the old-style Mario games. It hasn't taught me any course creation tips, maybe because I'm not very far yet.

Kinda just puttering around with a theme but I've been reading some things on level design and tried to apply them to this one.

• Like 1

I've finished Story Mode and have been playing online levels. I also started making a simple level, which will only be for the sake of getting to grips with the creation tools.

I didn't play the first Mario Maker and honestly didn't see much appeal, but I now think it's worth it just for the supply of created levels online. It's hard to believe that people have made some of the things they have in such a short time.

Also, I was wondering if Fire Emblem: Three Houses looks like a good starting point for someone who's never played a game in the series before. I understand it's going to be a little different, but it looks like the sort of thing I'd like.

1 hour ago, Dickon Manwoody said:

It’s basically a 2DS that plays Switch games. Not sure why someone would spend $200 when they can get the full experience for a hundred more and be able to dock it on tv and have detachable joy cons.

I could be tempted if I hadn't already got a Switch. I only play it in handheld mode anyway. The lack of detachable JoyCons is a drawback, admittedly.

12 hours ago, iDOL said:

It’s basically a 2DS that plays Switch games. Not sure why someone would spend $200 when they can get the full experience for a hundred more and be able to dock it on tv and have detachable joy cons.

I'm very excited for it.

• We needed a second Switch to both play Pokemon anyways.
  • Love the form factor and features like the d-pad
  • Anything they removed I don't care about really

Even without the current Switch I have, I think it's pretty tempting especially since the Switch is essentially Nintendo's only console now and a good number of users never dock anyways.

42 minutes ago, apsham said:

I'm very excited for it.

• We needed a second Switch to both play Pokemon anyways.
  • Love the form factor and features like the d-pad
  • Anything they removed I don't care about really

Even without the current Switch I have, I think it's pretty tempting especially since the Switch is essentially Nintendo's only console now and a good number of users never dock anyways.

I don't know, I guess I'm just old school in that I still like to have the option of playing on the tv. I bought my wife's Switch used for around the same price as this thing.

I still think that it's probably best to get the regular Switch if you don't have one yet, but as an option for a second one or for a kid it's really nice.

DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2 IS OUT TODAY

• Like 1

I made a Mario Maker 2 level! The course ID is Y2F-0JC-5MG.

It has a clear condition of collecting all the coins in the level, so it's puzzle solving to an extent, but only has one thing that I would consider a 'puzzle' which is basically just an asshole move... ah well, I enjoyed making it!

7 hours ago, Sousa said:

DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2 IS OUT TODAY

It has been a long week, I am very excited to play this all weekend between G1 matches.

Some of these SMM 2 courses are complete garbage to play. Is there any sort of index for which ones are good?

I'm potentially looking at getting a Switch after my birthday, what do people recommend game-wise?  Are the extra things I need to get for two-player or does it come with everything it needs?

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

I'm potentially looking at getting a Switch after my birthday, what do people recommend game-wise?  Are the extra things I need to get for two-player or does it come with everything it needs?

As far as extra stuff... you only need to buy additional controllers if you want to be able to play with more than 2 people at a time, or if you prefer the Pro Controller over the Joycons.

Games-wise... Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Maker 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Bomberman R and South Park: The Stick of Truth are all great games. South Park, I'd only recommend if you haven't played it and are interested, or if you just really liked it. It plays well on the Switch. There are a lot of really cool games on the eShop as well, and though I haven't played it yet, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 looks great.

Fire Emblem comes out next week, you should get that!

I'm so uncontrollably hyped for that game.

There are some multi-platform games that feel best on Switch in handheld mode. Stardew Valley and Wargroove stand out in that regard.

Just now, Ruki said:

Fire Emblem comes out next week, you should get that!

I'm so uncontrollably hyped for that game.

Speaking of which, I'm interested in that. I don't know why I haven't played a Fire Emblem game before, but this one, with its Persona-esque side activities, looks as if it could be a good place to start.

11 hours ago, Jericode said:

Mario and Rabids: Kingdom Battle is a great game. Would definetly recommend that along with a lot of the usual must get suspects: Zelda, Mario Odyssey etc 

In terms of playing multiplayer at home, you will have the two joy-cons so you can play two player at home. It's just a case of turning them sidewards 

Switch purchased!

Got Smash Ultimate with it, gonna look at getting Mario Kart and probably Mario and Rabbids as well.

EDIT: Mario/Rabbids is conveniently 63% off, so I've nabbed that with the £30 credit I got with the console!

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is apparently decent, if a tad archaic in its design. I've read a lot of positive comments from fans of the series.

I played 5 minutes of it last night, having never played the previous ones, and found it pretty fun. I will accept that is probably not the most in-depth review you will ever read.

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is apparently decent, if a tad archaic in its design. I've read a lot of positive comments from fans of the series.

That is sometimes a good thing. There are lots of classic gaming types that need to return to the fold, especially in the indie world. So many Metroidvania/Roguelites. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPS said:

That is sometimes a good thing. There are lots of classic gaming types that need to return to the fold, especially in the indie world. So many Metroidvania/Roguelites. 

I agree, although the reviewers I've come across are referring to some of the modern quality of life features that aren't there. I think that indie developers have managed to surpass some of the great games of yesteryear by improving little things like checkpoint systems and control accuracy. There's a lot to be said for building on old concepts and removing some of the forgotten annoyances.