UFC News and Discussion Thread

Apparently Glover is getting the winner of Jones/Gustafsson for the title.

I'm all for a hype train but I've seen nothing from Glover to suggest he'd trouble Jones and I don't think Gustafsson would have much trouble either. Anyone who gets rocked by Fabio Maldonado and Ryan Bader is going to die against the champ.

Yeah, Glover probably won't be able to do much against Jon Jones. There's nobody else, though. Mousasi hasn't done anything since coming in, and the only other possible choice is Phil Davis, and it's not like he'll possess much of a threat.

The best possible situation for the UFC right now would be Gustaffson winning the belt.

The best possible situation for the UFC right now would be Gustaffson winning the belt.

That is the most ridiculous statement.

The best thing for the UFC is their marketable star Jon Jones continuing to win, cleaning out the division and then hopping up to heavyweight for a superfight vs whoever is the champ there in a mega money mega awesome fight.

I honestly can't believe how freaking stupid that statement is.

The best thing for the UFC is their marketable star Jon Jones continuing to win, cleaning out the division and then hoping up to heavyweight for a superfight vs whoever is the champ there in a mega money mega awesome fight.

You're right, that was a ridiculously comment. Him winning isn't a problem for them at all (except it already is casting a bad light on his division, which is never a good thing, especially in what was once their flagship division). I don't think the superfight will actually happen, though. It's just too hard to try and match two divisions' scheduling together where both have no ideal contenders. It's why the Anderson superfights never happened.

After Glover, DC will be waiting for a shot as well, if he continues to win of course.

I totally forgot about Cormier as well. Yes, that will be his toughest fight.

Also, Mir versus Overeem has been added to the 20th anniversary show. So the PPV card should look something like:

GSP vs. Hendricks

Sonnen vs. Evans

Rory vs. Lawler

Mir vs. Overeem

Koscheck vs. Woodley

The best thing for the UFC is their marketable star Jon Jones continuing to win, cleaning out the division and then hoping up to heavyweight for a superfight vs whoever is the champ there in a mega money mega awesome fight.

You're right, that was a ridiculously comment. Him winning isn't a problem for them at all (except it already is casting a bad light on his division, which is never a good thing, especially in what was once their flagship division). I don't think the superfight will actually happen, though. It's just too hard to try and match two divisions' scheduling together where both have no ideal contenders. It's why the Anderson superfights never happened.

I am not saying it is not a problem for them at all, but UFC are in the business of making money, both Dana and JJ have come out and said he will eventually move up to Heavyweight as the cut down to 205 is already tough on him at a very young age. JJ originally planned to Move to heavyweight this year but decided to put it off, but has always been forthright about his desire to move up a weight class, something Anderson and GSP for example never had, Anderson was never bothered about 205, he just took fights when the UFC needed him to (James Irvin when they were counter programming Affliction and Bonnar when they needed help for the Brazil card) or when an interesting fight was presented to him (The Griffin fight). But moving away from that The UFc make money off of JJ, he is a good (if not spectacular) PPV draw, regularly getting buy rates up towards 500k, him winning increases his value and keeps his face in the more mainstream media, meaning when he moves up to heavyweight he will be automatically a huge draw against whoever is the champion at the time.

Gustafson winning does nothing more for the division that Jones winning again, there are very few people at 205 who I want to see face Gus, Rashad might be one, I don't want to see the Gus vs Davis rematch, let alone it may not happen as they are training partners. really the 205 division is very light at the minute in terms of talent, the names ofe the mid to late 2000's have retired, moved divisions or lost their aura, the so called "glamour divison" of the UFC is now looking decided less glamorous than it used to.

Your statement is still stupid.

Yeah, that sounds amazing. I loved the first two fights, so this is pretty great news (even though the Urijah versus Edgar fight sounded super fun as well).

Also, next Fox show looks to be Pettis-Grant, Urijah-Mayday and Chad Mendes on the card as well. Sounds like a blast.

EDIT: Also also, I'm pretty sure this season's TUF is gonna' make Ronda look like a really big bitch. And possibly her coaching staff, as well.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit

Ronda pissed me off to no end in this episode.

"Her smiling at my pain really pissed me off."

Bitch, her underdog #1 pick just beat the tournament's clear favorite, pretty sure she's smiling out of celebration.