UFC News and Discussion Thread

Yeah, look at it as Jones won by decision, not Jones won by 2 smart judges and 1 judge saying something crazy, that score has no impact on the outcome, amazing fight, amazing co-main, the rest of the main card bored me, I did enjoy Mitrione getting choked out though.

Yeah, it wasn't a robbery by any stretch. Apparently the doctor was considering stopping the fight in the 3rd/4th due to the cut that Jones got in the first.

Either way, I really enjoyed the card as a whole. Dominick Cruz will have a real tough time if he fights Barao next. Brendan Schaub is apparently going to fight again real soon, perhaps as a injury replacement or against Todd Duffee who is back from injury (apparently). Khabib is a machine and could be just a fight away from a title shot (depends on Pettis/Thomson, TJ Grant and RDA). Francis Carmont is shit. Costa Phillipou is shit. Jury and Ricci were poor. Mitch Gagnon was impressive. The rest of the prelims were all alright. Oh, and Daniel Omielańczuk's KO was much better than Barao's.

I really can't agree with that decision at all. Jones barely survived and really should not have. I was really hoping for Mitrione to knock Shaub out too. Sucks that he did not. Barao/Wineland was pretty cool too. Went exactly how I expected it to go.

Jones got 4 and 5, clearly. 1, 2, 3 were all close, I can name reasons why both of them could have taken those rounds. I have no problem with the decision. I think the reason there is dispute is because Gus pretty much beat up Jones until half way into round 4. Jones was keeping it even with his kicks, but it was Gus that was doing the notable damage. Amazing fight though.

I think a lot of people feel Jones was given the decision less on merit and more on being the face of the company. If the roles were flipped and Gus took rounds 4 and 5 with the first 3 being close, they probably still would've given Jones the win. Basically, Gus was fucked unless he finished the fight himself or dominated every single round.

This is less of my opinion and more of what I've seen on other forums. I still haven't seen it for myself, so I can't judge.

I think a lot of people feel Jones was given the decision less on merit and more on being the face of the company. If the roles were flipped and Gus took rounds 4 and 5 with the first 3 being close, they probably still would've given Jones the win. Basically, Gus was fucked unless he finished the fight himself or dominated every single round.

This is less of my opinion and more of what I've seen on other forums. I still haven't seen it for myself, so I can't judge.

People on other forums are idiots, considering the judges are not employed by the UFC and are doing the job independently to the UFC. Had Gus utterly dominated rounds 1,2&3 then fair enough it would have been a bad decision, but he didn't, they were close rounds, typical awful reaction from some fans. Jones won, it was close, but Jones won, now lets campaign for a rematch!

Wow, what a fucking great main card, after that shit Jury/Ricci fight and the disappointment of Menjivar losing. Khabib is the man, I really think the way the lightweight division is at present, he's probably looking at fight against Dos Anjos, winner of Melendez / Sanchez or maybe Grant if TJ doesn't get his title match. Devastated for Healy, though, this was supposed to be a great year for him, but with the Strikeforce title fight being cancelled, then him not getting his bonuses and now this, I feel horrible for him.

All the people complaining about Carmont / Costa are idiots, that was a great fight, total domination by Carmont, really fun grappling domination, though it sucked to see Costa give up near the final two minutes.

I hope Schaub fights somebody real so he can get his brains splattered across the canvas.

That was a crazy kick from Barao, loved it. Still think his first punch after that did more than the kick itself.

I had it rounds 2 to 5 for Jones, but 2 could have gone either way. I think the combination of Jones not being familiar with fighting a guy with Alex's reach and Alex's crazy takedown defense really confused Jones for the 1st and 2nd round.

And yeah, all the rounds were super tight (except maybe the 4th), it's possible to judge it 49-46 Jones.

Apparently Jones broke his foot in the first round, but kept kicking anyway. No wonder he needed a stretcher.

I heard it was his knee the one that got injured. Either way, he just kept kicking like nothing was wrong.

Gus' takedown defense and boxing was what impressed me the most.

Gus' boxing looked so sharp and clean, like a lot of shots hit Bones in the face even though he had his guard up and was trying to back away. No matter what, they just kept connecting Bones. And his lateral movements and how he controlled the distance - which is something Bones has always dominated against his opponents, was amazing.

Every time Bones shot for the takedown, Gus sprawled fast and stopped Jones easily. Plus, you can really see that he studied Bones' spinning back elbows, 'cause every time he shot them Gus would duck (until Bones got the timing of that and connected that one in the 4th, which he shot low because he knew Gus would try to avoid it by going down) I'm not disagreeing about Bones winning, I understand that Round 2 could've gone either way, but seriously 49-46 or 50-45 are ridiculous. I've watched the fight twice, and I just don't see how Bones could've won R1 or R3.

Apparently Jones broke his foot in the first round, but kept kicking anyway. No wonder he needed a stretcher.

Someone at his gym said about that on Facebook, but MMAJunkie reported both were discharged with no breaks or other serious injuries.

Personally I had it 48-47 for Gus, not a travesty, but I thought the first three were pretty clearly his. And he'd probably have had the fourth if not for the final 90 seconds. I read Bones was begging the doctor not to stop the fight after the fourth. Not sure I've ever seen so much Vaseline allowed on a cut, especially after they were forced to wipe some off earlier on.

Phil Davis has been complaining and saying that it was a judging robbery. Highly ironic given the result of Davis/Machida.

David just wants to be able to say he's beaten the Light Heavyweight Champion.

I too had the fight 48-47 for Gussy, especially since he pretty much disabled any of Bones' offense in the first three rounds, and the tables only seemed to turn when he got walloped with that big elbow in the 4th and he survived the final rounds as Jones picked up more steam. But as a whole I felt that Gussy had much more fire in him and did a lot more in trying to beat Jones in the first three rounds and the only real action that Jones got off was his leg kicks.

Even if you look at the damage, Jones got fucked up big time by Gus' amazing striking and Jones couldn't get him down for the majority of the fight, and even then he was a non factor on the ground.

But I can accept the champ winning because as others said, the 2nd round was too close for comfort for either of them.

Quite frankly the best MMA fight I have seen, ranks among my personal top 5 without a doubt. It was a complete war and both of them deserved a win, and I honestly feel Gus will be back in a title match sooner rather than later, and he will only become better from this fight. Gus/Jones could easily end up becoming this era's Randy/Chuck rivalry.

But I rather see Grover get his shot at Jones first and give Gus a chance to get back on his feet against other people. A fight against Rashad would be interesting, and a rematch against Wonderful would no doubt sell a PPV. And finally, I would also still like to see Gus fight Mousasi, and hopefully beat the living piss out of him.

EDIT: And Khabib is a motherfucking beast.

Edited by Jasonmufc

They've talked enough about the loss to Davis to make me believe that is what they are setting up next for Gus. Either that or someone like Machida or Henderson to give him a chance to take it to a vet.