House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Spoiler

My favorite moment in this episode: After Missandei rattled down all of Daenerys' titles there is this short, awkward silence as Davos forgot his cue to introduce Jon either because beint at Dragonstone brings back memories or because he is legit intimidated by Daenerys. Jon turns to Davos as if to say "dude, what the hell? You're my hypeman. Hype me!" and Davos snaps out of it like "Oh, right, sorry for that" and then introduces him. I love it.

Also how are all the slaves free? If I remember correctly the masters took back Astapor and Yunkai as soon as Daenerys left. And if it wasn't for sheer dumb luck they would've defeated her in Meereen too. She was a terrible ruler. And now that she and her armies are gone what is stopping a new bunch of masters from consolidating their forces and retake Meereen? From where I'm standing Daenerys' campaign to free the slaves has been a abject failure.

And if curing Greyscale is so easy that a novice without any medical training can do it how come it has only been done twice (or three times. Don't know if Shireen counts towards the 2 cases that Sam mentions)?

At least Bronn is back. And we hopefully we won't have to see anything that reminds us of the existence of Dorne for the rest of the series.

But all these things aside it was a good episode. Especially the final scene. It is a goddamn shame that Oleanna has to die.

Edited by Hellraiser

This was the classic "Let's get these people Emmys" episode. So much great acting all around. The end was fucking fantastic, I yelped when she said "I want Cersei to know it was me." Even in death she still fucking wins. I'll miss Olenna so much, one of the best played characters on a show filled with them.

Weakest part of the episode was Bran's return to Winterfell because holy god he cannot act. His dialogue with Sansa was so uncomfortable, which I guess was the point. He's probably numb to human suffering since he gets to see all of it. But I am increasingly convinced Sansa cares much more about the south than she should, and it's going to really drive a wedge between her and the rest of the Starks.

Tyrion has made three strategic decisions, the first two were bad ones but to give Jon the Dragonglass is potentially going to save Westeros. They now have no Navy and their army is on the opposite side of Westeros. I have two ideas: 1) They send the Unsullied to Highgarden for a climactic battle with the Lannister army; 2) The Lannister army lays in wait for the Unsullied as they march across to King's Landing. Dragons certainly get involved in either of these battles

It's nice to spice this all up with Euron who basically commands the entirety of the water around Westeros. It's certainly being established that Jaime has the land, and Euron the water. So logically Daenerys will need to control the sky with the dragons.

A nice variable is that Jorah is presumably heading straight to Dragonstone. I'm thinking this will put Dany into contact with Sam, who might help in convincing them all of how dangerous the White Walkers really are.

My last little detail from the episode was the conversation between Melisandre and Varys. When she said to Varys "I have to die here, much like you." There's probably a lot packed into that line that we either don't know or I'm not remembering.

20 minutes ago, damshow said:
Spoiler

Weakest part of the episode was Bran's return to Winterfell because holy god he cannot act. His dialogue with Sansa was so uncomfortable, which I guess was the point. He's probably numb to human suffering since he gets to see all of it.

Spoiler

I do think that's the point, and it's probably for the best as, like you said, he isn't a great actor. Having Bran be a stoic pseudo-sage will probably be boring, but I prefer it to having to watch him try to act with emotion.

Spoiler

I'm officially sold on Euron as one of my new favorite characters now, he's just wonderful.  We are losing a lot of characters but we are also going to the end game so its to be expected, but it took all of 3 episodes for Dany to lose all her Westerosi allies she came over with last finale.

I like the difference in Cersei torturing the Sand Snakes and getting off on it and Jamie showing mercy to Olenna.  What I am concerned about is Jamie showed this mercy and then found out that not only did this woman murder his son, but that means Tyrion really was innocent the entire time but they drove him to murder Tywin and become the Hand to their enemy.  I fear that Jamie's is going to go very evil soon.

3 hours ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

My favorite moment in this episode: After Missandei rattled down all of Daenerys' titles there is this short, awkward silence as Davos forgot his cue to introduce Jon either because beint at Dragonstone brings back memories or because he is legit intimidated by Daenerys. Jon turns to Davos as if to say "dude, what the hell? You're my hypeman. Hype me!" and Davos snaps out of it like "Oh, right, sorry for that" and then introduces him. I love it.

Also how are all the slaves free? If I remember correctly the masters took back Astapor and Yunkai as soon as Daenerys left. And if it wasn't for sheer dumb luck they would've defeated her in Meereen too. She was a terrible ruler. And now that she and her armies are gone what is stopping a new bunch of masters from consolidating their forces and retake Meereen? From where I'm standing Daenerys' campaign to free the slaves has been a abject failure.

And if curing Greyscale is so easy that a novice without any medical training can do it how come it has only been done twice (or three times. Don't know if Shireen counts towards the 2 cases that Sam mentions)?

At least Bronn is back. And we hopefully we won't have to see anything that reminds us of the existence of Dorne for the rest of the series.

But all these things aside it was a good episode. Especially the final scene. It is a goddamn shame that Oleanna has to die.

She killed all the slavers at the end of last season.  She also left Dario and his men in charge of making sure the slave trade doesn't return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azazel said:
Spoiler

What I am concerned about is Jamie showed this mercy and then found out that not only did this woman murder his son, but that means Tyrion really was innocent the entire time but they drove him to murder Tywin and become the Hand to their enemy.  I fear that Jamie's is going to go very evil soon.

Spoiler

Well, Jaime himself didn't really drive Tyrion to murder Tywin because he was convinced of his innocence all along. The scene might have had extra impact in the books because, in that version, Tyrion (falsely) admits to Jaime that he killed Joffrey. For Cersei, though, you're right, although it was years of hatred more than anything that led her to automatically judge Tyrion guilty, rather than push for a genuine investigation.

10 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

Well, Jaime himself didn't really drive Tyrion to murder Tywin because he was convinced of his innocence all along. The scene might have had extra impact in the books because, in that version, Tyrion (falsely) admits to Jaime that he killed Joffrey. For Cersei, though, you're right, although it was years of hatred more than anything that led her to automatically judge Tyrion guilty, rather than push for a genuine investigation.

Spoiler

Jamie was the only one that was really on Tyrions side, but their father was killed because of the whole scandal that included them getting Shae to claim Tyrion and Sansa planned the whole thing.  Now he knows that was all a set up and Tywin and Cersei falsified the trial.  It just seemed to me that his reaction wasn't hatred for Olenna, it was more towards his own family for trying to get Tyrion falsely executed.

I think in the end Jamie is going to end up exactly where he was during Robert's Rebellion.  Tyrion will take the city and Cersei will try to blow them all up.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Azazel said:
Spoiler

I think in the end Jamie is going to end up exactly where he was during Robert's Rebellion.  Tyrion will take the city and Cersei will try to blow them all up.

Spoiler

I think that's likely. I did read about an interesting theory on that topic a couple of weeks ago. In the first episode, when Jaime and Cersei are talking on the painted map of Westeros, there's a point at which Jaime is standing on the point marked "The Fingers" and Cersei is standing on the point marked "The Neck". Knowing how much Benioff and Weiss love foreshadowing, I wouldn't be surprised if that meant that Jaime will end up strangling Cersei to save the city.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

I think that's likely. I did read about an interesting theory on that topic a couple of weeks ago. In the first episode, when Jaime and Cersei are talking on the painted map of Westeros, there's a point at which Jaime is standing on the point marked "The Fingers" and Cersei is standing on the point marked "The Neck". Knowing how much Benioff and Weiss love foreshadowing, I wouldn't be surprised if that meant that Jaime will end up strangling Cersei to save the city.

I also caught onto some of that foreshadowing this week when he had his hand off and sitting on the table just as Cersei walked in. That of course begs the question how he'll really strangle her with only one hand.

I also have toyed with the idea it'll be Arya who accomplishes her revenge on Cersei under the guise of Jaime. But to do that she'll of course need to kill Jaime, which I have a tough time seeing how that works out.

Spoiler

That was a amazing! Exactly what Game of Thrones should be and used to be like. Horrible people, revenge, deals, battles, armies, strategy, death, sex and more! :D Jaime pulling Robb Starks move out was amazing too.

The first time I've felt like it could have been taken from the books since they ran out of material. Fantastic!