General Movie Thread

Jimmy

10 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

If a white woman was in that exact same role she wouldn't be called "sassy". 

That's because 'sassy white woman' isn't a beaten to death movie trope. 

• Like 4

No it's because 'sassy' is a terrible thing to call a black woman.

EDIT: And equating it to 'bitchy' is pretty terrible, too. Also, I have no idea what Leslie Jones' character did in that trailer to get her labelled 'sassy', anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MDK said:

Jesus, is it getting to a stage where I can't say sassy?

Well, it's just black women that have been offended by the term, but I guess it's alright since you all seem to have more experience being black women than I do.

2 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

Well, it's just black women that have been offended by the term, but I guess it's alright since you all seem to have more experience being black women than I do.

First, just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Second, again, it is a LONG STANDING TROPE NAME BECAUSE OF SHITTY WRITERS. If you want to take offence, take offence at the long standing history of bad writing for black women like every sensible person in the media who is covering this is doing (with many of them using the term "sassy" too, btw), rather than whining about an inoffensive use of established terminology that will affect absolutely nobody's lives.

Three, I'm kind of worried that you have multiple personalities because not only are you a dude, but you seem to have experience being numerous black women.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

News to me that it is an offensive term.

That's understandable, and I apologize for being a dick when I could have calmly said what I wanted to say.

http://www.forharriet.com/2014/11/angry-sassy-and-more-words-we-should.html#axzz42DhDm0id

http://www.celebitchy.com/390391/viola_davis_stop_referring_to_black_women_as_angry_sassy_scary_or_soulful/

So how the hell do you describe a character in a film that isn't happy with something without calling them angry? "Slightly miffed" doesn't quite cut it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

First, just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Second, again, it is a LONG STANDING TROPE NAME BECAUSE OF SHITTY WRITERS. If you want to take offence, take offence at the long standing history of bad writing for black women like every sensible person in the media who is covering this is doing (with many of them using the term "sassy" too, btw), rather than whining about an inoffensive use of established terminology that will affect absolutely nobody's lives.

Three, I'm kind of worried that you have multiple personalities because not only are you a dude, but you seem to have experience being numerous black women.

Except the part where it has affected people's lives? There have been numerous people who have been offended by the term.

Also, just because the media covering this uses the word doesn't make them right, either.

I'm not arguing the trope, I'm arguing the use of the word 'sassy'. 

Again, just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The use of the word is the name of the trope, how else is he going to cite the trope except using its name?

You're literally getting offended...

... at someone being offended...

... at something that is actually offensive.

You think some dude on a message board using one term is shitty? How about that this worldwide film franchise that is going to be screened over and over with a character who has come across enough as a stereotype that media outlets have picked up on it? Or the fact that the US police system is systemically ingrained with racism? Or the fact that thousands of black folks are being killed by war lords every damn day on the African continent?

Have some priority for your outrage, cause some random dude using a term that some people may or may not find a little bit insensitive on a niche wrestling message board is a baffling lack of priority for arguments that might help people, regardless of race.

• Like 9