MLB 2014 Thread

The Buscher

Also a lot more stabby

• Like 2

As a Yankee fan, I feel they desperately need this guy to go from a team that I don't think will make the playoffs into an instant World Series contender.

He isn't THAT good.

This is what you're looking at in the Bronx this year:

1B - Teixiera

2B - Brian Roberts

SS - Nuñez (with some Jeter here and there)

3B - Kelly Johnson

LF - Gardner

CF - Ellsbury

RF - Ichiro

DH - Jeter/Soriano

It's not bad, but it's not impressive. Assuming they all stay healthy, and they probably won't, it's maybe 5th best in the AL. Boston, Texas, Detroit, and the Angels are all better. It's probably midpack for the AL. And it just feels ancient, several of these guys are likely doing long stints on the DL.

Pitching: I can think of Sabathia, Nova, Kuroda, Piñeda, and Robertson. That's five slots out of 11-12. Even with Tanaka, this isn't terribly special.

If this was the AL Central, they might scrape their way into a Wild Card game. The AL East, they're not going anywhere with Boston/Tampa/Baltimore in the mix and better than them.

The only way the Yanks are competing for a World Series is by buying people to fix all those flaws. They aren't willing to pay Dodger money, so expect another season around .500, or several.

The Yankees were destroyed by injuries last year and were still hanging around the wildcard. It's not like with some teams that get smacked with an injury plague and it's a completely lost season. They were still rather competitive with a glorified Triple A team out there. If they can stay even remotely healthy and get Tanaka, a wildcard spot or maybe even winning the East isn't out of the realm of possibility. And once you get in the playoffs anything can happen. I don't expect to win the East, but people seem to forget just how battered and torn that New York line-up was last season.

Yankees can offer a Japanese player a lot more outside of the contract than other teams too. Specifically in the fact that they're the only team that really has any following outside of the US and definitely in Japan.

I have no idea about what teams are followed out of America in the MLB, I know people wear Yankees cap's but most don't even know that is to do with baseball.

What I do know is, the Mets are red hot in Potton!