MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

57 minutes ago, DMN said:

I tried to start as a 1B, like three weeks in the A's were like 'Oh, we really need RFs, can you switch?' and I was like 'yeah, sure, whatever', have a great season in AA as a DH, start off in AAA as a DH, then those fuckers traded me to the Nat's! I'm already the best RF by OVR in the organization, but down in AAA, so...

That's one thing about RTTS that I have trouble with. Quite often, I'll be the top rated guy at a position, and be asked to change positions because of the team's needs. I was having a killer two year run as a closer in the Cubs organization, then I got voluntold that I'd be used as a starting pitcher instead... that lasted about three starts before I ended up getting traded to the White Sox, who had nobody with a higher overall than my guy in the bullpen whatsoever... and I end up slumming it in AA for another year as a starter before I just started complaining at every opportunity.

I think I ended up as a closer again finally after getting traded to the Angels, but by that point, I was aggravated with the AI management to the point that I didn't care anymore, and the OSFM rosters had come out, so I just started my franchise and haven't looked back.

They need to work on that kind of stuff. Even if my service time is being manipulated so that the team gets more years of control, and I don't make it to the majors right away, that's fine. That's realistic. But the idea that a team would look at their top prospect at a position, who also happens to be the organization's best player at that position, and then take them out of that position is just asinine. That's horrible prospect development. As a closer, I could see a team wanting to protect a younger prospect and have him work relief or set-up instead of purely closing out games, but moving a closer to the starting rotation during their development for no reason is just weird.

I find playing outfield in RTTS annoying because of the camera. 3B is easier since you only really have to worry about a small area of the field, and making those clutch throws to first across the diamond can really be exciting. You don't really need speed, either, so you can kind of ignore that stat.

I had the same thing happen. I was a starter and I got moved to the closer role. I said a million times I wanted to move and they kept saying they didn't think it made sense. There should absolutely be an option where you don't have to switch. 

Yeah that was something holding me back from enjoying RTTS.  It doesn't matter what position you play, they always force you to switch at some point almost just to allow you to shape your personality on whether or not you'll be a "team player".

I always wanted to play outfield but yeah the camera sucks.  There was a way to change your settings so that when the ball is in play it'll switch to the normal fielding camera you'd get in a regular game but I think they took it away last year.

18 hours ago, DMN said:

I tried to start as a 1B, like three weeks in the A's were like 'Oh, we really need RFs, can you switch?' and I was like 'yeah, sure, whatever', have a great season in AA as a DH, start off in AAA as a DH, then those fuckers traded me to the Nat's! I'm already the best RF by OVR in the organization, but down in AAA, so...

Never give in to their demands!

First thing I've noticed is that animations are a little less "wooden". Also, players who are just average defenders are more prone to making small mistakes, but recovering. I've seen players bobble a bouncing ball at second, but recover with plenty of time to make the out.

16 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Someone explain Conquest to me, a person who has barely ever touched anything DD related.

You are trying to take over the board, RISK style. For each space on the board you own, you get a number of fans at the beginning of each round. You can sim any games except when you try to conquer a base. There are 4 rounds.

1. Reinforcements
  2. Conquer spaces
  3. Steal from base (I literally never play these games)
  4. Reinforce

The bigger the difference in fans, the easier the difficulty will be. If you have equal fans or only a few more than the other base, you will have to play on a higher difficulty. 

5 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Doing my prospect games in 2018. 3B/SS. I really like how fast the games go. Although I'm curious, what does the 'Showtime' button do.... says to press R2, but it does nothing?

In certain situations, if you press the showtime button, it will slow down what's happening ala Max Payne or The Matrix. Basically gives you a chance to make a highlight reel play that you probably wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

20 minutes ago, Ruki said:

What do these mean?

IMG_20190328_091035.jpg

F9 means you flew out to the 9th fielder (the right fielder).

L4 means you lined out to the 4th fielder (the second baseman)

K is strikeout. A backwards K meant you struck out looking. 

DP means you hit into a double play.

1B, 2B, 3B or HR is when you got a hit.

TIL Ruki flies out to right field a lot. 

• Like 2