Formula One 2018

Lineker

I do like Rich Energy's bulk discount offer. It's £1 a can but if you buy a whole pallet (2592 cans), it's £1 a can.

• 2 weeks later...

FP1: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134975/hamilton-leads-mercedes-onetwo-in-melbourne

FP2: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134978/hamilton-ahead-of-verstappen-in-second-practice

For some reason EWB doesn't want to show images right now, so here's links to autosport instead.

Hamilton has been dominant, but Verstappen has showed insane speed behind him for both FP1 and FP2, so that's exciting to say the least! (Totally not biased as a Dutchman...)

Most interesting is that Grosjean has been 7th and 6th respectively in his Haas, which is spectacular from him. As has Alonso with two 8th places in both practices, so there's certainly pace in the McLaren again.

Also shocking is how Williams and Force India are deep into the top 10, Williams was slightly expected but Force India has made a big tumble down the order as McLaren has made a jump and likewise with one of the Haas drivers. Renault is a bit shaky, would've expected them slightly higher tbh.

Not shocking is Sauber still being worst of the worst by a spectacular margin. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the 107% margin a few times this season because they just lack all pace to compete with anyone but themselves. Even Sirotkin in the Williams was nearly a second ahead of them in FP2.

I really hope Red Bull will be able to pressure Hamilton further this weekend, because I'm not ready for another year or utter dominance from the Silver Arrows.

I'm actually surprised at how high Williams are, by all accounts coming out of testing was that the car was heavy, unbalanced and generally shit.

I'm confidently predicting a Grosjean win this weekend :shifty:

I didn't think much of the halo during testing but watching live footage last night it was really pissing me off. It just seems like it's too big for the car its fitted to.

It also seems that Sauber haven't graduated past the near-guaranteed Q1 elimination they were last year.

Why they're using the shoulder cam all the time when the halo blocks the view almost completely instead of the T-cam, which can actually see the track, apexes and other cars is beyond me.

Just now, Gazz said:

Why they're using the shoulder cam all the time when the halo blocks the view almost completely instead of the T-cam, which can actually see the track, apexes and other cars is beyond me.

That's what annoyed me too. The shoulder cam's are useless because you can see nothing going on in the image. The T-cam, or even a camera on the halo itself would be significantly better.

It's clear they really didn't think through all of the things that would have to be altered now that the Halo is around. But hopefully they'll buff out those issues in the coming weeks, because if they use that shoulder cam all season then they deserve all the hate, really.

- Happy that Mercedes didn't win, but the win defaulting to Ferrari at the end was not a good show for anyone. The engine saving is going to create a lot of these moments this year, with 2nd place giving up with x laps to go.

- Fucking rotten luck for Haas, to qualify so strongly, to start even stronger and be 4th and 5th for an age of a time and holding strong, then to just get knocked out because the wheelguns didn't work properly, they deserved so much more from this race.

- Alonso looked strong, as is tradition, he chugged along and made life tough for everyone he passed.

- Speaking of passing, them criticizing Vettel and Alonso overtaking through the pit-lane during the VSC was personally some crafty and brilliant stuff. You can argue that the race was supposed to be neutralized, but it takes gamesmanship to make such a move happen and I hope they won't now just find a way to prohibit it.

- SPEAKING OF PASSING, the dirty air was utterly disgusting and pretty much ruined the race after the safety car had ended. Nobody could make a realistic overtake unless there was a fuck up, Hamilton was faster yet stuck behind Vettel, Ricciardo was faster but stuck behind Kimi, Max was faster but stuck behind Nando, and it pretty much was the same for the rest of the grid.

- Seriously, the dirty air is ridiculous, and they could add a fourth, fifth, or sixth DRS zone and it wouldn't give us more overtaking. The aero needs to become significantly less intricate for on track action to become interesting again, because it's the clear the engine power is there for the teams.

- I enjoy the graphic packages, and they didn't use that atrocious shoulder cam either, so the action was good to see and I felt the graphic package was a bit large but it has added more flavour than the old packages.

- Ultimately a so-so race, good to see Mercedes not reigning supreme, Haas has spectacular pace, and the mid-field is closer than they ever have been. At the same time the aero is again a worrisome topic in terms of ruining on track overtaking action.

• Admin

A new Formula 1 documentary series based on the 2018 season will air on Netflix early next year.

It comes on the heels of the successful Grand Prix Driver series about McLaren's troubled 2017 season, which was recently shown on Amazon.

The Netflix deal is also one of the first that the F1 organisation has concluded with a major global brand under Liberty's ownership.

Production company Box-to-Box Films has been granted full access to the F1 paddock, teams and drivers for the 10-episode series.

One of the men behind it is executive producer James Gay Rees, who was also responsible for the acclaimed Senna film and the Academy Award-winning Amy, as well as successful documentaries about Bansky and Oasis.

F1 says that the series will "reveal the intense fight for the heart, soul, and direction for the future of this multibillion-dollar business."

The deal has been well received by teams, whose sponsors now have the chance to reach an audience who might not follow regular race coverage.

McLaren executive director Zak Brown, who sanctioned the earlier Amazon series, said that the Netflix deal was a positive development for F1.

"It's really good news," he told Autosport. "Our Amazon Prime series went over really well with the fans, and showed them parts of the sport that no one's ever seen.

"The Netflix series will be a deep dive into the sport, as opposed to one team.

"I think some teams will give more access than others, by their choice.

"People who wouldn't normally be exposed to it will see it, find it fascinating, and hopefully that leads to more viewers."

Bela Bajaria, vice president of content for Netflix, said the F1 deal "furthers our mission of working with world-class brands and production partners to produce best-in-class unscripted series".

F1 commercial chief Sean Bratches hailed the Netflix deal as a significant step in Liberty's transformation of the championship.

"F1 is a global sport that we are actively repositioning from a motorsport company to a media and entertainment brand," he said.

"The agreement with Netflix serves to chronicle the fascinating story of what transpires behind the scenes during a grand prix season.

"This is a perspective of the sport that has yet to be unveiled to fans around the world.

"This series will unleash a compelling vantage point to the sport that will delight fans and serve as a catalyst to entice new fans."