Formula One 2024

Lineker

Seems a potentially knee-jerk idea in response to the fact that the current order has an even split of 5 teams much stronger than the other 5, which just so happens to be the line between the points finishing positions and below.

Frankly, three teams have gotten so far in without points this season because all three have huge issues - Sauber can't do proper pitstops, Williams don't have enough car parts and keep crashing, and Alpine have built a glorified tractor.

I will say, he was in Bologna for an unrelated racing event, but I do think Ferrari makes sense as his next move.

It's huge, and I wonder if it'll make anyone in Red Bull rethink the importance of Horner to the operation. They can't risk losing Verstappen over that whole scandal especially if Newey is already going.

The saddest thing is that Max Moseley is the only person from F1 who went to his funeral instead of Senna's. You can say a lot of things about Moseley, but that has always stuck with me as a reason that he's not all bad.

I remember that weekend so vividly, from Barrichello's horror crash on Friday that left him trapped in the car, to Ratzenberger's death on Saturday, then the startline crash that sent wheels into the crowd which somehow didn't kill anyone, resulting in the safety car period that led to Senna's death, to mechanics getting injured in a pitlane accident, to a podium that not a single driver wanted to be on - and Nicola Larini's only podium for good measure.

There will never be a more cursed F1 race weekend than that one.

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

It's thirty years since Roland Ratzenberger's death at Imola. It will be overshadowed by Senna's thirty-year anniversary tomorrow, so I think it's a good time to remember the lesser known tragedy that occurred that weekend.

At least, in one sense, Senna'a death being so noteworthy for this last 30 years has kept Ratzenberger's name in people's minds.

I believe Senna had an Austrian flag in his car when he crashed because he intended to dedicate the race victory to Ratzenberger.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I was on a ferry to Denmark to go to Legoland that weekend, I can still remember it as being the first time I ever heard my dad swear when he picked up the morning news sheet they printed out to keep people posted and him just quietly saying "fucking hell not Senna as well". We'd seen the "footnote" about Ratzenberger the day before - and despite being "nobodies" I liked Simtek, my childlike mind conflated that as being run by the SimCity guys - so two in one weekend was just too much regardless of who it had been. I'd heard my grandad talking about how dangerous F1 could be but like many Grandpa Simpson-esque things it was all "a long time ago" as far as I was concerned but it's a weekend I'll remember as a real eye opener. Senna will always be remembered because, well it's Senna and he's one of the all time greats, but at least the timing ensures that Ratzenberger can be remembered as well.

Edited by lanky316

Williams must be really impressed by his performance to make this move. But honestly, I don't see it happening?

He's had a fine rookie season in F2 thus far, but he's not exactly blowing up the competition, even compared to other rookies.

With so many youngsters waiting for a chance, I don't see why the heavens have to open to get Antonelli into a seat right now rather than next year or in August?