Formula One 2024

Lineker

24 minutes ago, FestiveJack said:

Those are AI images and it almost definitely will look nothing like that.

Obviously I knew they were AI images - it was more just that the actual track rendering was hideous and had loads of hairpins, notoriously slow and overtake-averse turns.

And that the link was dead anyway.

• Like 1

It feels a bit weird that Ferrari's reserve driver is an 18 year old Brit, but good luck to Ollie, even if I fear he might be a bit out of his depth with such little prep time. I would have thought Theo Pourchaire would have made more sense given his links to Vasseur, and being the reigning F2 champion, but maybe Sauber have him locked down.

17 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

It feels a bit weird that Ferrari's reserve driver is an 18 year old Brit, but good luck to Ollie, even if I fear he might be a bit out of his depth with such little prep time. I would have thought Theo Pourchaire would have made more sense given his links to Vasseur, and being the reigning F2 champion, but maybe Sauber have him locked down.

Pourchaire isn't a Ferrari reserve, and Bearman has the advantage of already being there and already used to the track out of the Ferrari reserves - he qualified on Pole for the F2 race earlier.

What an opportunity for Bearman - he is considered along with Antonelli as the next big prospect out of the juniors so he has a chance to cement that here.

Hope Carlos gets well soon and is back for Australia. He did Practice yesterday with appendicitis which is pretty tough of him.

• Like 2

So who's going to be the driver who finishes 21st in a 20 competitor competition?

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Pourchaire isn't a Ferrari reserve, and Bearman has the advantage of already being there and already used to the track out of the Ferrari reserves - he qualified on Pole for the F2 race earlier.

True, but Nyck de Vries wasn't a Williams reserve driver when he replaced Albon in Monza in 2022, and took over the seat at the same time that Bearman has here.

This may just be part of my ongoing annoyance that F2 champions like Pourchaire and Drugovich have so many restrictions placed on them through a combination of them not being allowed to race in F2 again, and F1's refusal to allow any new teams in where these young drivers can get a shot. Or in Drugovich's case, being behind the boss's underperforming child.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

True, but Nyck de Vries wasn't a Williams reserve driver when he replaced Albon in Monza in 2022, and took over the seat at the same time that Bearman has here.

This may just be part of my ongoing annoyance that F2 champions like Pourchaire and Drugovich have so many restrictions placed on them through a combination of them not being allowed to race in F2 again, and F1's refusal to allow any new teams in where these young drivers can get a shot. Or in Drugovich's case, being behind the boss's underperforming child.

That is true, but De Vries had much more racing experience and was Formula E World Champion. Whilst Pourchaire has won F2, he's got a similar experience level to Bearman, plus Williams did have the engine tie-up with Mercedes, who De Vries was contracted to.

Also worth noting that Bearman is seen as a prodigy in the sport. It's like giving a rookie Verstappen or Piastri a chance when it presents itself.

I do agree that it's a shame the F2 Champion has something of a bottleneck after winning it, but there's literally no point staying in F2 once you've won it. There are so few race seats into Formula 1 that you have to basically come off as a can't-miss prospect or else have lots of sponsor money to appeal to a backmarker, like Sargeant and Mazepin did, otherwise you're out of luck.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I do agree that it's a shame the F2 Champion has something of a bottleneck after winning it, but there's literally no point staying in F2 once you've won it. There are so few race seats into Formula 1 that you have to basically come off as a can't-miss prospect or else have lots of sponsor money to appeal to a backmarker, like Sargeant and Mazepin did, otherwise you're out of luck.

Why not Indycar? With them getting further away from ovals, it seems like a viable option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in what must be a decade, I've decided to not watch a race live when I have the means to do so. I'm not getting up at 4am on a Sunday for, based on the majority of the last 25 races, will be a procession.

Thanks F1! Great job making the racing more exciting.