Formula One 2024

Lineker

Not sure there's much point getting at Lando, it's not like he sought out Trump.

Trump visited McLaren hospitality, the race was in Florida and he is a former President, much as we all know he is an odious orange cretin. Lando will have been going about his usual job and enjoying his victory. When the useless UK Prime Minister turns up at the local school, I don't judge the headmaster for it.

Notwithstanding that Lando is from a very well-off background and spends his life driving around in circles likely being unaffected by the wider political world, same as 3/4 of the grid.

• Like 1

In the course of their visits to various autocracies F1 and its drivers have cosied up to far worse figures than Donald Trump and to my knowledge the only ones that have ever actually said anything about it are Vettel and Hamilton.

But yes I’m inclined to agree with @JasonM here. These are people who fly from race to race in private jets and live in Monaco to get out of their obligations to society. Not the first place I’d expect moral leadership from.

• Like 1

Perhaps my reaction was a little much, but I'm still pissed that Crofty "hilariously" chose to give Trump a name-drop when Lando crossed the line, meaning that any archive footage of Lando's first win will always have that dickhead mentioned as he wins.

David Croft is missing his first race since Sky took over the live TV rights in 2012, and extending the streak back to his BBC days, his first missed race since 2007 when he missed the European Grand Prix for the birth of his son. The BBC's Harry Benjamin is replacing him, which is a bit weird when Alex Jacques is the F2 commentator for Sky, or they could have had Martin and Alex Brundle together.

Regardless of what you think of Crofty, that is one hell of a streak of consecutive races.