MLB 2020/2021 Off-Season Thread

The Buscher

John Smoltz is the anti-Tony Romo. He adds absolutely nothing to the broadcast. He says the same dumb shit over and over. And I don't think he actually does any research on any of the players he's talking about. I hope FOX doesn't pay him much, because they could pay GhostMachine to provide as much insight as this dillhole. 

• Haha 1

I don’t really agree with that.  I think if someone is missing, putting out a statement makes sense because it is a quick way to hopefully get some information on his whereabouts.

For whatever it’s worth they’ve now put out another statement saying they don’t have reason to believe his safety is at risk.  Which would suggest to me that somebody clued them in to where he is.

Hopefully he’s okay first and foremost as that’s my top concern.

My theory on Cespedes assuming (fingers crossed) that his health isn't in danger as the Mets said is that he opted out and, for whatever reason, failed to inform the team.

I can actually see why he'd opt out.  His base pay was reduced to basically nothing after the ranch fiasco, nearly all of his money is coming from incentives.  He's struggling really badly, he knows he's going to be on a short leash in a short season, and to cap it off it's already apparent the team sucks.  It's in the team's best interest to give JD Davis and Dom Smith as many ABs as possible and to do that one of them has to take DH at-bats away from Ces.

So with no real shot to meet those incentives, there's not much point in him continuing to risk his health.

• Like 1

Confirmed now - Cespedes opts out, bringing his Mets career to an end.  What a strange journey it’s been with him.

His 2015 run produced some of the most fun I’ve had watching Mets baseball. He was a focal part of the 2016 playoff team too (if you want to count one Wild Card game as the playoffs).

His contract is objectively the worst in franchise history. $110 million for a 2.7 WAR over the life of the contract. That said, myself and all other Mets fans would’ve been screaming our heads off if we didn’t lock him up.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

Did he think he didn’t need to notify the Mets of his decision? Or did he opt out in his hotel room in the same way that Michael Scott declared bankruptcy?

Basically!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, B-li Manning said:

His contract is objectively the worst in franchise history. $110 million for a 2.7 WAR over the life of the contract. That said, myself and all other Mets fans would’ve been screaming our heads off if we didn’t lock him up.

Don't you guys pay someone like a million dollars every year for the rest of his life? Or is that another team?

1 hour ago, KJE said:

Don't you guys pay someone like a million dollars every year for the rest of his life? Or is that another team?

Yep...July 1st is Bobby Bonilla Day.  Its not the rest of his life, just $1,193,248.20 from 2001-2035