2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

I'm not a fan of the automatic strike zone because I actually like the strategy in tailoring your pitch location as well as knowing when to swing based on each umpire's slightly different strike zone.

This year however it appears they just don't give a shit and are calling whatever they want, which is turning me into a supporter of the automatic strike zone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, damshow said:

I'm not a fan of the automatic strike zone because I actually like the strategy in tailoring your pitch location as well as knowing when to swing based on each umpire's slightly different strike zone.

This year however it appears they just don't give a shit and are calling whatever they want, which is turning me into a supporter of the automatic strike zone.

My biggest issue is the late game “Let’s go the fuck home” calls where pitches low or outside all of a sudden become strikes, as if the umpire is just over it and ready to go to bed. It kills late game rally’s when you they all of a sudden decide to change the strike zone from the previous seven innings. I’ve noticed it more in the first two weeks this season than the last couple years. I don’t know if there’s instruction from the league to wrap games up quickly or what, but it’s terrible.

Yeah, it used to be you'd see calls like that on Sunday afternoon getaway day.  Now it's every single day.  And there have been games where the umps got some calls blatantly wrong late in the game (when the crew chief has to agree to review the call) and they've not even looked at egregious errors.  I don't know if it's to shorten games or because they're just very bitter at the increased scrutiny they're under.

Also their fuse is shorter than ever, say one word and you're ejected.  There are Little League umps making $25 a game who would be well within their rights to say fuck this and walk out that have way thicker skin than the big league umps.

Lol as soon as the Mets got a runner on third with no outs I knew they’d return the favor from the Cubs not scoring in the same scenario a couple innings earlier.

Just like last year they seem to fold like a lawn chair every time there’s RISP.  This was supposed to be one of the deepest lineups in the NL...I know their schedule has been messed up but they played the Rockies and Cubs on this road trip, they can’t average more than 2 runs per game against what figures to be some of the worst pitching they’ll see all year?  Awful.

Dellin Betances pitched in a blowout on the third day of the season, got put on the 10-day IL the next day and now quietly got moved over to the 60-day IL today.  He looked pretty clearly shot in spring, was struggling to hit 90 consistently.  As it is this all feels like an administrative thing where he had to appear in a game before they could feasibly IL him and collect insurance.

I can't kill BVW for signing him, seemed like a decent enough dice roll for a guy who was one of the best relievers in baseball before his 2019 injury.  But that year really wrecked him worse than anticipated.  In all likelihood an unfortunate end to a nice career.

He wasn't the same the last year or so in the Bronx. It's why nobody really said 'boo' when he left. It was evident to those of us watching him every day that he was on the decline. I don't know if BVG really was that bad (very likely) or if their front office thought they could unlock something in him we hadn't seen yet. Either way, it's a shame, but also not at all surprising.

Even in his last year, he managed to strike out 115 guys in 66 innings. Even accounting for an expected velocity dip it’s fair to see why you could think he could at least be a useful, effective reliever.  But I don’t think anybody expected him top at 92 last year even with a pandemic to serve as extended spring training.

If there’s a criticism I have on the deal it’s that they probably could’ve gotten it done without a player option.  Also the 2019 Mets finished only three games out of he playoff spot and their lone move that year was signing him.  Man BVW sucked.

4 hours ago, damshow said:

Madison Bumgarner threw a 7-inning no-hitter. Doesn't count in the record books but still a bit neat I suppose.

Kinda bullcrap ain't that? I mean the MLB made them 7 inning games, its not like he got pulled after 7