2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

8 Yankees have tested positive for COVID in the last week.

You're right, LD. Not cool at all. But I think that if a player is too obvious at trying to get hit, umps should be given the option to call them on it. But not until after Angel Hernandez retires, because he'd accuse every fourth batter of it.

It was a bad trade that needed immediate payoff of Cano/Diaz both playing well right away to get them to the playoffs in order for the trade to at least justify their short-term goals.  Both guys were terrible in 2019.

That said it is predictable and eye rolling that the Mets beat writers will be sure to tweet out everything good Kelenic does for the foreseeable future.  They did the same with Daniel Murphy even though everybody agreed when it happened that moving on from him was the right call.

It’s no secret the Mets have done plenty to embarrass themselves over the years but the writers actively try to keep LOLMETS going because it gets them clicks.

Its telling that I've always been sympathetic to the Mets (except when they beat the Red Sox in `86), but hate the Yankees' friggin' guts. The Mets have always had bad luck either with injuries (Bob Ojeda's hedgetrimmer fingertip amputation still takes the cake, and look how long ago that was!), players not living up to their potential, or just plain bad management (GM and actual manager). 

Pujols to the Dodgers. ESPN is saying that while Max Muncy is playing 1st, having Pujols frees them up to use Muncy at 2B or 3B if necessary. 

I like this. Pujols still gets to play, and he's on a team that's poised to be a contender this year. Maybe his time as a Dodger revitalizes his hitting, who knows? We'll see. I reckon this is Pujols' last season, probably, right?

• Like 1

I just glanced through the discussion on the previous page, there is talk about Vancouver making a bid for The Athletics. Right now it seems like a lot of the corporate money is interested in bidding for the 2030 Olympics given how the last one worked out here, and there's even talk that Canucks might be on the market, but there's absolutely been discussion about what it might take to get the MLB here and have a second team in Canada again.

Apparently the rumored favorite place for Trevor Story to land is with the Yankees. The idea, according to MLB Insider, is to have Story play shortstop while moving Torres to 2B.

17 hours ago, CLDY said:

Pujols to the Dodgers. ESPN is saying that while Max Muncy is playing 1st, having Pujols frees them up to use Muncy at 2B or 3B if necessary. 

I like this. Pujols still gets to play, and he's on a team that's poised to be a contender this year. Maybe his time as a Dodger revitalizes his hitting, who knows? We'll see. I reckon this is Pujols' last season, probably, right?

Since Seager got hurt last night, the signing was good timing on their end.  Can slide Muncy over to 3B for a bit, let Pujols play 1B.

• Like 1

I’m gonna be fascinated at what the shortstop contracts look like next winter, especially with a new CBA.

Lindor’s 10 years/$341 million will be what the shortstops use as the benchmark but that contract hasn’t even kicked and as we sit here in mid-May he’s easily been the biggest disappointment in baseball.  .192 with 3 home runs and 8 RBI, looks completely overmatched most ABs.

We might be seeing a lot more Bauer-esque contracts instead of long-term ones.