2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

23 hours ago, Buschie Kay said:

The Mets are onto their FIFTH string center fielder with three getting hurt in the past two weeks.  Of those three, Kevin Pillar was hit in the face with a 94 MPH pitch and the other two (Albert Almora and Johenswy Vargas) had violent collisions with the CF wall, Almora getting concussed and Vargas separating his shoulder.

Now tonight, Noah Syndergaard was scheduled to throw four innings in a rehab start tonight.  He was throwing 94-95 out of the gate, which quickly turned into 89-92 and him being shut down after one inning with soreness in his surgically repaired elbow.

Getting rid of the Wilpons was supposed to be the dawn of a new era and washing away the misfortune of the last couple of decades.  What have Mets fans done to deserve this?

Been Mets fans, I'm guessing.....

Syndergaard shut down for 6 weeks, then he'd have to rehab again so no chance he's back until August, if at all.

Me from the offseason thread:

Mets sign Taijuan Walker.  Good.  Even though they made the best move of the offseason in Lindor/Carrasco, fans were getting pissed knowing they were ready to give Bauer $40 million this year only to sit and watch one pitcher after another come off the board the last couple of weeks.  Walker was good last year, been hurt a lot but still young with upside, which is fine for the back of the rotation.

Potential June rotation:  deGrom, Stroman, Carrasco, Syndergaard, Walker.  That plays.

I said "potential" for a reason.....because deep down I knew it was very likely one or more of them would be down by then.  The deGrom/Syndergaard/Harvey/Wheeler/Matz "fab five" took over three years to make a complete turn through the rotation together, and that was when Harvey was terrible and weeks away from being DFA'ed.

So... Alek Manoah... six innings. Two hits. Two walks. No runs. Debut against the Yankees.

Rotation reinforcements are on the way! If Pearson can come back and be even 75% of what he can be, the foursome of Ryu, Matz, Manoah and Pearson would be a great way to power through the last half of the season.

• Like 1

The Mets traded with the Cubs for Cameron Maybin nearly two weeks ago for $1.  It was one of those handshake deals veterans get in the minor leagues where the trading team will send them to any big league club that wants him.

He’s now set the club record for longest 0-for to start a Mets career.  0 for 27 at the plate with 12 K’s and worth -0.4 WAR already.

Somehow they managed to lose a $1 trade.

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, CLDY said:

Marcell Ozuna has been arrested on domestic violence charges. 

Apparently cops witnessed it and one of the charges (strangulation) carries a minimum sentence in Georgia. Fuck him. I’d like to say that’s career-ending but Aroldis Chapman is somehow still in the MLB, so.. 😕

6 hours ago, CLDY said:

Apparently cops witnessed it and one of the charges (strangulation) carries a minimum sentence in Georgia. Fuck him. I’d like to say that’s career-ending but Aroldis Chapman is somehow still in the MLB, so.. 😕

The criminal justice system might help MLB out by giving him an actual jail sentence. I have zero faith in MLB or the Braves to give him a fair punishment.

deGrom cruising effortlessly through 6 innings, having thrown 70 pitches in his second start off the IL (threw 62 last time).  So of course they pull him...there’s being protective and being overprotective.  Jake was throwing low stress innings and with a 5-0 lead it looked like a laugher.

I’d love to kill Luis Rojas for it, but I can’t.  Managers have to answer to the media as if they make all of the in-game decisions, but they don’t.  It’s almost all coming from the front office nowadays.

It'll never happen, but I want a Mets/Orioles World Series. (Yes, I know they played each other in the 1969 World Series. I'm talking about now.)

Of course, that could very well be a sign of the Apocalypse coming.....

Brandon Workman is back with Boston

Back in August, he was traded to Philly in the Pivetta deal.  Then went to the Cubs in FA, before getting dropped.  Then he went to Worcester and exercised his opt out clause.

So Boston got Pivetta and Seabold for a month of Heath Hembree and Workman both pitching poorly. 

On 01/06/2021 at 00:01, Buschie Kay said:

deGrom cruising effortlessly through 6 innings, having thrown 70 pitches in his second start off the IL (threw 62 last time).  So of course they pull him...there’s being protective and being overprotective.  Jake was throwing low stress innings and with a 5-0 lead it looked like a laugher.

I’d love to kill Luis Rojas for it, but I can’t.  Managers have to answer to the media as if they make all of the in-game decisions, but they don’t.  It’s almost all coming from the front office nowadays.

And now he’s been pulled after 7 more shutout innings, 85 pitches and made the Padres look foolish in the 7th.

Mets bullpen doing everything they can to blow Jake starts is a sick running joke but it’s not hard to see why it happens so often since Jake is on such a level that him leaving a game provides an automatic emotional boost for the other team.