European Super League announced; collapses

Lineker

Is there any evidence whatsoever for this "young people falling out of love with the game" stuff? Completely anecdotal of course but for the first time ever there's a Teesside girls league at my daughters age group this year, while we used to have to drive to Newcastle near enough. While they play games on a Saturday morning there's hundreds of kids training on the same full size pitch.

Couple that with "we're losing money". Maybe try living within your means and not giving players 500 grand a week. Fucking idiots.

• Like 1

Just now, Colly said:

Is there any evidence whatsoever for this "young people falling out of love with the game" stuff? Completely anecdotal of course but for the first time ever there's a Teesside girls league at my daughters age group this year, while we used to have to drive to Newcastle near enough. While they play games on a Saturday morning there's hundreds of kids training on the same full size pitch.

Couple that with "we're losing money". Maybe try living within your means and not giving players 500 grand a week. Fucking idiots.

Not to mention the first place to start if you want people to fall in love with the game is to bring in more parity and make it more competitive, not less so.

4 minutes ago, Colly said:

it's not that they have fallen out of love, they are just consuming the game differently, fans of players over clubs, etc... it's much harder to control the money if the media, the players or the fans have the power, and not the owners or rule makers

I personally haven't noticed a drop in the number of children who like football and have at least some merchandise for a team. What's interesting is that now, unlike 25 years ago, no children in my area support Newcastle, but a fair few support Man City. Chelsea are also a lot more popular with youngsters these days.

10 minutes ago, Colly said:

I've always assumed, for most sports (golf and baseball largely excluded off the top of my head) that the appeal isn't waning for young people but that the barriers to being an active fan are forever increasing.

To echo people above this has largely tied into the growth of fans of certain players or kids supporting the more successful teams. You're less likely to be supporting your local side because you can't actually see your local side nowadays in the era of cord-cutting. I assume with football in England for example, where there's the 3pm televised match ban, that it just means kids are watching the primetime matches and the usual suspects are playing in those. So that's who the kids are going to take a liking to.

6 minutes ago, Colly said:

The statement where he made that comment showed the bollocks he was talking. ""Only" 60% of young people love football", which is still a majority and I'd be comfortable saying 40% of people don't give a shit about football, or any sport at all for that matter.

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

Is there any evidence whatsoever for this "young people falling out of love with the game" stuff?

I just assumed that this was a weirdly backwards way of acknowledging that big-team ticket prices are too fucking expensive.

Yeh the 12 clubs are meant to be meeting to discuss disbanding it. 

I hope no one forgives the owners of the teams for what they've done in initiating this. Football needs reforming in certain ways and UEFA/FIFA/The FA etc are not perfect but you need to reform for the better of the game as a whole not just to line your greedy pockets

• Like 5