European Super League announced; collapses

Lineker

I think its gonna take City and/or Chelsea to drop out and then there'll be a ripple effect

I think internally the players and Klopp could put pressure on FSG as they have done u-turns before but I don't think it would work. 

I don't see United budging. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Loads of quotes flying around twitter from that interview, one of which is he supports the idea of potentially making matches shorter if fans aren't engaging for the full 90. Cunt. 

Cue Don Garber looking into doing this for MLS...

The sense of it being a bit of sound and fury signifying nothing feels like it is becoming more palpable.

Inevitably there will always be agitation towards some kind of Super League. It may eventually happen. I doubt it will this though. The most likely avenue for it is through UEFA's already existing competitions.

I can see everyone involved backing down. Everyone gets on with their lives and nothing changes in football (but it being sold as some kind of "win" for the sport). Then the whole argument kicks up again in a few months/years time.

• Like 1

I was so focused on the ESL part of Florentino Perez interview, I didn't bother with the rest of it.

I went back to check what else he said, and apparently, a while after saying Real Madrid would be financially dead in 4 years as a result of COVID and its restrictions without the ESL, he actually said they're interested in signing Mbappe.

You can't write this shit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hobo said:

The sense of it being a bit of sound and fury signifying nothing feels like it is becoming more palpable.

Inevitably there will always be agitation towards some kind of Super League. It may eventually happen. I doubt it will this though. The most likely avenue for it is through UEFA's already existing competitions.

I can see everyone involved backing down. Everyone gets on with their lives and nothing changes in football (but it being sold as some kind of "win" for the sport). Then the whole argument kicks up again in a few months/years time.

Yeah I think there's something to that. The new Champions League proposal isn't that far off from a super league anyway, and it's already been a pretty closed shop ever since England, Italy, Germany and Spain were guaranteed 16 of the 32 places. The super league is just lurching from something shit to something even shitter and that's the trend we've been on for the past 30 years or so anyway.

7 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Yeah today this feels increasingly like what will happen. It may drag out for a bit in the hopes of getting some concessions from UEFA and then die down for a few years.

The ESL has the financial backing to make it happen right now regardless of external backlash, but nothing they can do about internal backlash which seems to be taking root at multiple clubs. And the whole thing will look weak if Bayern and PSG both sit it out (to say nothing of the Porto's and Ajax's of Europe who on the occasion field clubs capable of winning the Champions League). Also how funny it would be if/when La Liga or Serie A gets won by a non-ESL club. 

They also have to be pretty alarmed that a ton of the anger over this is coming from non-"legacy fans" in the Americas, Africa, and Asia. The exact fans this league was created for are pretty vocally calling it a load of shit. I think they had a lot of planning but just misjudged this part especially. They probably assumed us dumb Americans would go "wow this is like the NFL but for Europe and that's cool!" and not "oh fuck they're trying to make an NFL-style league in Europe."

2 minutes ago, metalman said:

I also think people should be banned from supporting football teams in another country.

You don't get to dictate what people support. Please support people's decisions to support others supporting football teams in another country. 

And this captains meeting is likely the first domino that will start to tear the fabric of this league apart. I could see this dying sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

One good thing about this is I learn about more low-level clubs with *amazing* crests, like this one.

00asburyparkfc2-articleLarge.jpg?quality

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LL! said:

You don't get to dictate what people support. Please support people's decisions to support others supporting football teams in another country. 

And this captains meeting is likely the first domino that will start to tear the fabric of this league apart. I could see this dying sooner rather than later. 

A mass walkout/sitout of influential players will break this.

What are they going to do if enough players refuse to play along with this shit, fire them? At best they'll be forced to sell these players at low fees to their competition that aren't in the Super League, instantly breaking whatever competitive advantage they might've had prior.

It's not fair to put this all on the shoulders of the players, but if the captains can come together and show solidarity against this plan, and the player groups follow suit, then the British teams at least have no leg to stand on lest they're prepared to completely gut the club roster to have their cake.

And whose telling that the replacement players themselves want to be playing in the super league, be victim to whatever potential sanctions are put on the clubs? Money is a powerful motivator, but it only goes so far.

38 minutes ago, metalman said:

I also think people should be banned from supporting football teams in another country.

Baltimore does have a team in the US pyramid that plays 10 minutes from my house and last I checked guys I went to high school with were playing for them.

28 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

One good thing about this is I learn about more low-level clubs with *amazing* crests, like this one.

00asburyparkfc2-articleLarge.jpg?quality

Good ol' Tillie

• Admin

The European Super League has moved swiftly to try and prevent FIFA and UEFA from banning clubs or players from next year’s Champions League, and future European Championships and World Cups.

In a letter to FIFA and UEFA seen by the BBC, Super League lawyers say

“We are concerned that FIFA and UEFA may respond to this invitation letter by seeking to take punitive measures to exclude any participating club or player from their respective competitions,”

The ESL letter said it considered that “adverse reaction” to be “unlawful” and says it has filed papers with “the relevant courts” to prevent the “seamless establishment and operation of the competition in accordance with applicable laws”

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

He's the one player you'd want to speak against it, tbh. 

Can always rely on the leader of the opposition 

• Like 4