Comic Book Films & TV Thread 2021

Maxx

On 05/06/2021 at 03:13, GoGo Yubari said:

I got absolutely nothing from WW84 beyond "Kristen Wiig would probably be fun doing this in a better movie." It's certainly not a nightmare to watch the way Batman v. Superman is but it's somewhere around my bottom rung of DCU movies.

The best thing about WW84 was the cutscene at the end.

Pedro Pascal is a brilliant actor and did an incredible job with the script he was given, but Maxwell Lord should not have been redeemable and should not have been the main villain. Cheetah should have been, and fight between Wonder Woman and Cheetah was much too short.There are also several mistakes in the movie that can be attributed to just plain laziness or not giving a fuck to people involved in making the film: For example, Steve said he found Diana by using a telephone book. How did he even know what one is? He died in 1918, and phone books weren't around until the late 1920s. He also flies a jet and calls it by name. Jets weren't invented until well after he died. I knew and noticed those errors while watching the movie. Another one I knew was a screwup: The Frankie Goes To Hollywood song "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" is played at one part, but it wasn't released until September 1984. The movie takes place in July. (Did not know exactly when the song came out, but knew it was in the latter part of the year.)

I haven't watched WW84, just read the criticisms and quickly decided I wasn't going to watch it.

How bad is the "Brown man bad, white (wo)man good" attitude that's apparently going on? Because from all that I heard/read about it was pretty bad in the stereotypes.

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The best thing about WW84 was the cutscene at the end.

Pedro Pascal is a brilliant actor and did an incredible job with the script he was given, but Maxwell Lord should not have been redeemable and should not have been the main villain. Cheetah should have been, and fight between Wonder Woman and Cheetah was much too short.There are also several mistakes in the movie that can be attributed to just plain laziness or not giving a fuck to people involved in making the film: For example, Steve said he found Diana by using a telephone book. How did he even know what one is? He died in 1918, and phone books weren't around until the late 1920s. He also flies a jet and calls it by name. Jets weren't invented until well after he died. I knew and noticed those errors while watching the movie. Another one I knew was a screwup: The Frankie Goes To Hollywood song "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" is played at one part, but it wasn't released until September 1984. The movie takes place in July. (Did not know exactly when the song came out, but knew it was in the latter part of the year.)

Just a small point, but telephone directories have existed since late the late 1870s, so it's not impossible he'd have a broad idea of what one was. 

I didn't hate WW84, but it wasn't good by any measure. Just a clunky, disconnected plot and deus ex machina after deus ex machina, which made it feel like a superhero movie from before the MCU started to figure out the formula. Other than some really dubious stuff raising questions about consent, it was a sort of enjoyable bad movie, whereas Man of Steel I actively hated watching, and Batman vs. Superman I think might be my least favourite film I have ever seen. 

Has anyone watched the longer cut of Batman vs Superman? It's meant to improve the overall flow a fair bit but... the thought of sitting through MORE of it doesn't fill be with happiness haha. 

10 hours ago, DFF said:

Just a small point, but telephone directories have existed since late the late 1870s, so it's not impossible he'd have a broad idea of what one was. 

Fair point, but before the late 1920s the directories were a bit different, because phones didn't have dials prior to then.

The jet thing was just blatant, lazy bullshit on the part of the screenwriter and everyone involved in the production. He wouldn't have known what to call it, and certainly wouldn't have been able to fly one. They operate a hell of a lot differently than a frickin' biplane. It'd be like going from a Model T to a Ferrari.

On 08/06/2021 at 04:32, tristy said:

On the flipside of all this, the Harley Quinn animated series is probably the best thing DC has done in the past, like, decade. It's so much fun.

I'm hype as hell for the next season. Just got around to watching season 2 earlier this year and loved every bit of it.

Spoiler

Harley x Ivy FOREVER. FOREVER! 😠

apparently the crew on the Harley Quinn show were told by DC that they can't have Batman giving Catwoman oral sex because "heroes don't do that" and they can't sell toys "if Batman is also going down on someone".

Twitter proceeded to freak out and post all kinds of memes and actual panels from comics where, in fact, Batman is fucking everyone from Catwoman to Black Canary to making out with Poison Ivy. And lest we forget the added sex scene in the Killing Joke animated movie, that definitely wasn't in the comic.

There's also a panel from 2001 of Oliver Queen going down on Black Canary that's floating around, so, yeah. Be better, DC. It's not like this show is Rated PG and airing on a TV channel at 9am on a Saturday morning. Jesus fucking christ.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm watching Young Justice and I'm on S3, and jesus christ...

Can I once get a "young" Justice League show that doesn't involve 'The Judas Contract'?

It was initially surprising because you didn't see it coming.  Now anything even vaguely Teen Titans related results in 'The Judas Contract'...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2021 at 10:41, Kaney said:

That looks so bad : /

Carnage himself looks great but the dual voices/slapstick moments are so out of place with the tone of the rest of it.

The CG still looks SO bad.  How does the CG look worse then T2, which came out 30 years ago?!

On 02/08/2021 at 10:41, Kaney said:

That looks so bad : /

Carnage himself looks great but the dual voices/slapstick moments are so out of place with the tone of the rest of it.

I mostly agree. I like that Venom talks to Eddie but it just feels like they are trying to make Venom into Deadpool. 

Well the reviews for James Gunn's "The Suicide Squad" aren't surprising.  95% on RT.  AVClub says "Its vulgar, immature and gratuitous..and thats what makes it great" and "James Gunn's take on DC's squad of amoral antiheroes take the Guardians Of The Galaxy filmmaker's style to new, R-rated heights"

So looking forward to watching it over the weekend