England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

18 hours ago, Gazz said:

The lack of a second holding midfielder other than Livermore would suggest the 3-4-3, unless he's going to play Oxlade-Chamberlain there alongside Dier.

I think it's premature to call time on Rooney's international career. I'd personally take him to the tournament next year simply for who he is and his influence within the squad, but when you've got Kane and Alli, the main competition for him, banging in twenty goals a piece and playing together at club level, it's a simple choice for me.

I'd go 4-3-3 with Lallana / Dier / Alli personally.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched the last couple of U20's games and it's been really great - we play really nice football and we're also composed. Kenny, Calvert-Lewin, Tamori, Walker Peters, Dowell, Lookman and Onomah have all been excellent and Ojo made a ridiculous difference today. Solanke is also totally growing into his role and looks a prospect. I hope these players get a proper look in next year at their clubs. I'd love to see Onomah played in his proper position for Spurs, he's been real good in the Dembele role - and was also hugely unlucky in getting sent off for dribbling past an opponent. It was ridiculous. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I've watched the last couple of U20's games and it's been really great - we play really nice football and we're also composed. Kenny, Calvert-Lewin, Tamori, Walker Peters, Dowell, Lookman and Onomah have all been excellent and Ojo made a ridiculous difference today. Solanke is also totally growing into his role and looks a prospect. I hope these players get a proper look in next year at their clubs. I'd love to see Onomah played in his proper position for Spurs, he's been real good in the Dembele role - and was also hugely unlucky in getting sent off for dribbling past an opponent. It was ridiculous. 

Four of those seven players are Everton (H)

I'd be encouraged by the prospect of those players getting game time too, Everton like to blood in youth and two of the other three are Spurs lads and we know Poch isn't afraid to try out the youngsters either.

Really great achievement this is by England, and I believe we play Venezuela in the final?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

I'd be encouraged by the prospect of those players getting game time too, Everton like to blood in youth and two of the other three are Spurs lads and we know Poch isn't afraid to try out the youngsters either.

Really great achievement this is by England, and I believe we play Venezuela in the final?

Yep, who've also had a great tournament. 

Yeah, I'd be excited as an Everton fan. Kenny, particularly, has looked quality. Lookman looks like a very good buy, too. 

I just can't help but think these players deserve a chance - a few don't look quite ready yet, but there's a lot of talent in there. Winning it would be so good for their mentality, too. 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I honestly think that's a ridiculous 2nd yellow. They even have video technology to look at shit like that and they didn't use it. 

There was a match the other day, might have been this tournament, with the most ridiculous red card, and the video ref actually confirmed it, which made it absolutely useless.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Yep, and on paper we have the advantage that we haven't had to play any extra time and Venezuela have had to play all of their knockout matches well into extra time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Are you gonna do a West Ham and say Everton won the 2017 u20s  World Cup?

2022 is cancelled until President Boff says otherwise.

Two Newcastle players (at least, I can't keep track of the kids...) too including Freddie Woodman the keeper. We have far too many keepers.

Not a clue to be honest. We've got this list of meh number 10s who have made middling impacts (Diame, Perez and De Jong if he comes back) so you'd like to think he'd get a crack, but no idea whether Rafa rates him or not or who else is coming in.

Doubt it.

This has always been England's problem though for years, decades even. We're absolute world beaters at every age group up to under 21's, then those players generally never get the proper opportunities to progress into top level first team football, they stagnate and we end up with a good to average senior team. If you look at the England squad from the 2013 tournament, there's only six players that you could argue have been given a fair crack at Premier League football (Dier, Ward-Prowse, Kane, Stones, Lascelles and Barkley) and four of them have gone on to become England regulars.