England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

6 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

Who missed out that you think should have been included?

Not sure there's anyone really, it just looks really unimpressive seeing it written down. Obvious quality with guys like Kane, Alli, Vardy. But I feel like if you took like two or three names out of that squad it would just look like a mid-table side. 

But it's just like, when you used to have a midfield with people like Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes etc and then you look at that and see Henderson, Dier, Delph, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard it hammers home I think how poor English youngsters have been since that generation. Even the defence, going from guys Campbell, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole to Gary Cahill, Harry Maguire, Phil Jones. 

They're not 'bad' but it's just like, the epitome of that Partridge shrug gif.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Why would Heaton be that player? Also assuming Burnley reach the Group Stage and do well in the domestic cups, that's anywhere between 12 and 20 games.

Players at their peak, especially goalkeepers, do not want to sit on the bench and only play in the cups. As well as that, how is Pope going to feel having played a big part in getting Burnley into Europe then being told he's sitting all of those European games out? It won't happen. Heaton could find his way to a team like Newcastle or West Ham which wouldn't be bad at all.

As for the England squad, it seems okay to me. We aren't going to contend but we never were, aside from Tarkowski instead of Cahill I can't find anything Southgate appears to have got wrong. Bit surprised Bertrand missed out as well I suppose.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Yeah including Sessegnon would've been a waste of a spot - like Walcott in 2006.

It's funny to think that Walcott's inclusion was meant to give him experience of the World Cup environment for the future, yet he never ended up being picked for any World Cups after that. It's also funny to think that, had England beaten Portugal on penalties, they'd have had to face France with a front line led by Peter Crouch and a 17-year-old who'd never played a Premier League match.

6 minutes ago, The Gazz said:

Now all we do is sit and wait for the inevitable Harry Kane injury scare.

Can we just wrap him up in cotton wool until the kick off of the opening game? Seriously, just play the 'second string' XI in the two friendlies. 

I wouldn't be too worried by Kane getting injured. Of course he is a fantastic striker and my first choice on the team sheet but Vardyin a counter attacking team has worked wonders elsewhere.. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Not sure there's anyone really, it just looks really unimpressive seeing it written down. Obvious quality with guys like Kane, Alli, Vardy. But I feel like if you took like two or three names out of that squad it would just look like a mid-table side. 

But it's just like, when you used to have a midfield with people like Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes etc and then you look at that and see Henderson, Dier, Delph, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard it hammers home I think how poor English youngsters have been since that generation. Even the defence, going from guys Campbell, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole to Gary Cahill, Harry Maguire, Phil Jones. 

They're not 'bad' but it's just like, the epitome of that Partridge shrug gif.

Think that's it for me too. There are some standout players in the squad and the rest is pretty...bland which is a bit of a damning indication as to the development of some players. 

I think as well there are players like Lascelles has had a great season and Shelvey has had a good second half of the season yet cause they're at Newcastle it feels like it's harder for them to get picked. But at the same time it's the squad I expect cause there isn't much to pick from. 

I'm made up for Trent though as he's been fantastic this season and if Gomez hadn't have gotten injured he would have been in the squad too. 

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

Yeah including Sessegnon would've been a waste of a spot - like Walcott in 2006.

I don't think it is the same at all. Sessegnon has a lot of appearances for Fulham; Walcott had 13 total. Yes, they are in the Championship, but the Championship is a very competitive league as has been proven year in, year out. It isn't Premiership standard, but it gives him a decent whack of experience in a competitive environment week in, week out.

You add to this his experience of winning a cup tournament with England. Yes, U-19, but it also perhaps makes him a more suitable choice than Walcott would have been at that time, especially considering he was one of the players of that tournament. His experience with England is turning up and winning, something that itself has merit.

Fulham have had a lot of success this season, with a lot down to him. He is a form player outside of a couple of matches in 2018.

I'm not annoyed he hasn't been chosen, he just probably had a better argument to be made for him than Walcott did in 2006 outside of 'because Arsenal'.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Ryan is also very unfortunate in that it's probably one of the strongest positions we have."

Am I the only one seeing Rose, Fabian Delph and Ashley Young as left back options or something?

Cresswell (injury prone), Bertrand, Shaw (lol), Targett (second choice behind Ryan Ses at Fulham I think?)... Ben Chilwell at Leicester?

50 minutes ago, MJB said:

The lack of depth and talent in central midfield is frightening. 

The fact that an injury would see Livermore called up is terrifying. And I'm very disappointed that in Wilshere and Lallana we're not taking players who can actually put their foot on the ball and actually create something. I like Alli, but he's very "Premier League", and there's no real alternative to him if he gets a knock or inevitable suspension for being a knob. 

10 defenders seems an awful lot too, I know Delph and Young are utility I guess, but given the size of the squad and the fact that Dier could play at the back at a push it seems excessive. 

12 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Cresswell (injury prone), Bertrand, Shaw (lol), Targett (second choice behind Ryan Ses at Fulham I think?)... Ben Chilwell at Leicester?

I meant in the squad, he seems to be saying he’s left Bertrand out cause left back is apparently is one of their strongest positions, but considering he called up Rose, Young and Delph, it just isn’t. Would have Bertrand in any squad ahead of Young and Delph anytime. Even more laughable considering they’re not even actually left backs.