The Sir Alex Ferguson Thread (For Manager related news)

Baddar

Managerial situations are a bit clearer today:

• Bayern appointing Kompany
  • Juventus are close to getting Thiago Motta (shame, he'd have been fun in the Prem or another season at Bologna)
  • Barcelona's main choice is Hansi Flick if the Xavi drama is resolved by him leaving.
  • Kieran McKenna is favourite for the Chelsea job, with the club set to pay his £4million buy-out fee.

With Kompany to Bayern imminent...

Somebody somewhere must know the closest like for like comparison to this situation. How do you get relegated from a league and land a job like that? 

3 hours ago, The Lusophone said:

Managerial situations are a bit clearer today:

• Bayern appointing Kompany
  • Juventus are close to getting Thiago Motta (shame, he'd have been fun in the Prem or another season at Bologna)
  • Barcelona's main choice is Hansi Flick if the Xavi drama is resolved by him leaving.
  • Kieran McKenna is favourite for the Chelsea job, with the club set to pay his £4million buy-out fee.

Think Motta has been lined up for months, why the Lewis Ferguson to Juventus rumours were in overdrive. With his season ending injury not sure that'll happen for him now though.

It's a shame that both Motta and McKenna are leaving for bigger clubs after the amazing seasons they've each had, but the Motta one especially has been something Juve have wanted to do for months. Allegri stupidly gave Juve the out they've needed - by all accounts they're using his actions from the Coppa Italia Final to have him terminated with cause to avoid the €20m payout they owe him, which has always been the real stumbling block to land Motta - so Motta was always in bound.

McKenna just feels so much like Chelsea repeating the exact same thing 18 months ago. He's clearly a very talented manager, but I fear for him it's going to end up just like it did for Graham Potter where it's just a completely different level of training and man management, on top of making a huge jump from Ipswich to a club with the expectations and quality of (admittedly, only some) Chelsea players.

I think for Potter and McKenna if it does happen, its one of them do you move when the chance for the jump is there. 

He could manage Ipswich, have a season in the Prem and he could give a good account but then its waiting for a team to have a manager vacancy available. 

I don't blame Potter for moving when he did. It just didn't work out. 

If it's McKenna then I will have finally reached the weird point in my life where I'm older than the Chelsea manager. I thought I had several more years yet.

Would it be cynical to say that part of the reason these young managers (and I'm including Kompany) are making these big leaps is because of an assumption they'll just be grateful to have the job so they 1) cost a little less, and 2) let the club ownership/director of football be more heavy-handed on decisions to fuel their egos?

Also should add a 2b) When things go south they're so much easier to blame than a manager with top-level success.

• Like 3

The latter definitely seems plausible to me. One thing Kompany does have on his CV and that he has excelled at is being a professional and likeable public face for a high profile and heavily scrutinised club where so many of the major decisions are made above the level of the manager/head coach.

Someone like Tuchel, despite his coaching successes, has never been very good at that.

It feels like the pool of managers is pretty shallow at the top end too. I think in part because the top end of football has been dominated for so long by so few.

There is no Jose Mourinho's Porto or Rafa Benitez's Valencia really where the manager has high level experience and is ready to move on.

Although that can also be linked to the point on directors of football etc as football has gotten more structured to where you don't get so many of these

Just now, Hobo said:

its just Poch under a mask

If we're about to enter the Black Scorpion era of Chelsea managers then I'm here for it.

• Like 2