UEFA Europa League 2021/22

Lineker

• Admin

West Ham have said two supporters face indefinite bans if they are found to have attacked two German radio reporters during their side’s 2-1 home defeat by Eintracht Frankfurt in the semi-final, first leg of the Europa League on Thursday night.

The club have identified “two offenders” after Tim Brockmeier and Philipp Hofmeister, who were covering the game for German radio station ARD, were allegedly jumped on by home fans when Michail Antonio equalised for West Ham.

Hofmeister said on air that Brockmeier’s headset had been ripped off and thrown to the floor, and there were allegations that punches were thrown at the reporters.

West Ham launched an investigationafter the game and have passed the two supporters’ details to the Metropolitan Police. A club spokesman said: “‘Following a thorough internal investigation since the full time whistle last night, West Ham United can confirm two offenders have been identified.

“As well as continuing our own investigation, in line with our zero-tolerance approach, the offenders details have also been passed on to the police, who will now conduct their own investigation. If the offenders are found guilty, they will be given an indefinite ban and not be permitted to enter London Stadium, nor travel with the club. Behaviour of this kind is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at West Ham United.”

Hofmeister told listeners during the live broadcast: “We are being attacked here. They threw the headset down on my colleague Tim. I have to sort myself out a bit. We have to see that we can get some security personnel here.”

The two commentators were moved to another position at half-time. Hofmeister also said during the broadcast: “You constantly have the feeling that something could come from behind, a punch or something. My dreams of English football have been shattered.”

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: “We are aware of reports that during the match, two radio journalists were assaulted by fans seated behind them. Such behaviour is unacceptable and has no place in football stadiums.

“We have a close working relationship with all London clubs and we welcome the statement issued by West Ham about this incident. Our officers will be working with the club in the coming days to determine what took place and to identify anyone involved so that appropriate action can be taken.”

David Moyes, whose side face an uphill battle to reach the Europa League final when they travel to Germany for Thursday’s second leg, condemned the incident. “I’m disappointed,” West Ham’s manager said. “But the club have acted on it right away. It’s not good.”

Moyes will assess Kurt Zouma before deciding whether to start the defender at home to Arsenal on Sunday. Zouma returned from an ankle injury to face Frankfurt and West Ham will not want to risk his fitness.

51 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Craziness in both second legs already. Cresswell gets sent off, and Rangers are suddenly leading against Leipzig. 

Rangers winning at home is pretty much expected, is it not?

2 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Hope Rangers win it. Would be one hell of an ending to one hell of a story.

Surely favourites now, no? I'd have put West Ham to win it, but Cresswell fucked it for them.

Van Brockhorst deserves some real recognition. He has saved what could have been a disaster season. Wonder if Gerrard's regretting his decision to leave now.

8 hours ago, The Kraig said:

Surely favourites now, no? I'd have put West Ham to win it, but Cresswell fucked it for them.

Van Brockhorst deserves some real recognition. He has saved what could have been a disaster season. Wonder if Gerrard's regretting his decision to leave now.

I doubt it, he's got a decent project on now. He's probably immensely proud that the team he's built has gone all the way to the final.

• Like 1

i like that the Europa and Conference league finals are both between teams that haven't a been in European finals for a long time. 

I think of the 4, Feynoord have the most European trophies and their last one was 20 years ago.

• Like 3

I'm also glad that none of them are English and Spanish teams (even if the UCL is one English and one Spanish). Just feels like there really is a bit of diversity amongst the good teams, even if they're in lesser competitions. 

• Like 2

honestly was surprised to see that Roma's only European trophies are the Inter City Fairs cup and the Anglo-Italian Trophy. It just feels like they should've won more.

The idea of Rangers winning the Europa is pretty intruiging. Considering all that's gone on and how Scottish clubs haven't really competed at this level in Europe in an awfully long time.

Both finals have a distinctly very European finals from the 1970s/80s feel about them based on the names alone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The final is tonight, 8pm. The more I read about Eintracht, the more they seem like the perfect antagonists for Rangers. Bit worried about scenes if Eintracht win. Anyway...

(A thread)

Eintracht are narrow favourites. There is an obscene traveling support for Rangers (100,000+).

Should also be a good game.

• Like 1

Should be a good ocassion for both sets of fans, I like it when European finals have teams you don't normally expect get to the final. 

Although if Rangers do get beat, I expect poor Seville will be ravaged 

Lundstram not booked after 5 minutes? 🤨

12 minutes ago, damhausen said:

The fact German clubs didn't win a ton before the Champions League expanded is pretty surprising. Plenty of finals lost though.

Even then it’s just Bayern. Only HSV and Dortmund outside of Bayern have won it, both before 2000.

Although Germany have more unique winners (3) than Spain (2). As do Holland (3), Italy (3) and England (5).

Edited by Twist