Sean Lock dies aged 58

Kyle

Sean Lock: Comedian and 8 Out of 10 Cats captain dies aged 58 - BBC News

Comedian Sean Lock has died from cancer at the age of 58, his agent has confirmed.

A comedy panel show favourite, Lock was a team captain on the series 8 Out of 10 Cats, hosted by Jimmy Carr.

He also appeared on QI, The Last Leg, Have I Got News for You, and The Big Fat Quiz of the Year.

In a statement, fellow comedian Lee Mack, a close friend of Lock's, described the news of his death as "heart-breaking".

"A true original both in comedy and life. I will miss him so much", Mack said.

Well now I'm sad in work.

• Sad 1

I never watch panel shows anymore but I always enjoyed him when he was on. The few bits of standup his standup I saw were really funny as well.

https://twitter.com/PodcastPharaohs/status/1427939621212672007?s=20

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

gutted by this. He was incredible on panel shows - no matter how old and tired the format, he was able to be genuinely hilarious and inspired. 

His stand-up is superb too, and 15 Storeys High is one of the most criminally underrated sitcoms going. 

Devastating loss.

Really sad news. His style of comedy really appealed to me, and I loved his work on Cats does Countdown. He's part of my favourite comedy moment ever - berating Greg Davies' impression of Chris Eubank. I noticed in the last series that he looked a bit different but put it down to his shaving his head, evidently there was a reason for that.

He's definitely going to be missed just as a factor on television, not just the shows he was a part of.

Oh damn, I had no idea he was ill. I don’t watch those panel shows so much anymore (YouTube means I have an alternative to repeats on Dave when I’m wasting time) but Sean Lock was always great. He made it look so effortless, so you didn’t always notice how funny he was. 

• Like 1

Sean Lock was one of my favourites on 8 out of 10 cats and I enjoyed his stand up, he was funny in a way it wasn't always obvious, on a show usually dominated by outlandish comedians you would sometimes struggle for him to stand out but he was great such a sad loss

I woke up this morning to a gasp from my wife and she broke the news to me.

Sean was such a unique comedian; world-weary and yet full of wonder in his own way all at the same time.

Carrot in a box is a clip I go back to time and time again when I need a laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah man this hit me hard when I found out. A genuinely really funny guy who often put a lot of the panel shows on his back when he was on them and kept them going a lot of the time. 

Such a unique style and memorable at that too. 

3 kids and a wife he's left behind as well. 58 is nothing at all

Just really sad 

• Like 1

Gutted when I found out at work. Been there for every Channel 4 panel show, and I can't picture him not being on television.

He's a comedian that nobody was else was like, and an incredibly funny man where it just seemed effortless - his Mascot bits on Cats Does Countdown always got me.

I always liked his Lockapedia stand-up show and his crossing the road bit too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jake O. Rhodes said:

I woke up this morning to a gasp from my wife, which doesn't happen often.

She's American and I've been introducing her to British comedy over the course of our marriage. Her two favourites are Sean Lock and Bob Mortimer, so she has great taste in comedy, if not husbands.

Sean was such a unique comedian; world-weary and yet full of wonder in his own way all at the same time.

Carrot in a box is a clip I go back to time and time again when I need a laugh.

This is one of my all time favourite panel show bits. 

I am incredibly sad about this. 

I absolutely loved him on QI. The ridiculousness of some of the questions and answers he would get so pissed off at and have some hilarious rants. He was so quick-witted, he really did improve any show he was on, and wasn't afraid at going for the obvious cheap laughs as well. He obviously enjoyed his job immensely, because it showed. He'll be sadly missed. His sudden Walter White appearance makes sense now. :(

• Like 1